Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm a 31 year old Mexican-American dude. I've always wanted a bike just never took the leap. Well last year it presented itself and I supposed I jumped. I bought a smaller bike (500cc) and from that one i leaped to a 2003 VTX 1800C. Quite a leap I know but I couldnt be happier. The bike was a forgotten relic when i bought it and now i have it looking good again imagejpeg_0(3).jpg 20210411_142518.jpg 20210411_142544.jpg imagejpeg_0(2).jpg but im not done with it though as I wanna put rims on it and might also paint it afterwards. I am still an amateur, I just completed 6 moths of riding lol.
That being said I was looking for people around my age in Southern Alabama or anywhere near the South who would like to go riding most people I know dont have a bike and the ones that do well lets just say theres a huge age gap. Attached are pics of before and after. Cheers,
-Enrique

·
Registered
983 Posts
Congrats on joining the X club. First things first ,respect the 1800 it's big,powerful and fast. Don't ever think you got it wipped ! I would not ignore the 'old guys', they probally have a wealth of info. that can give you on the bike including upkeep on do's and dont's. They just might have a few extra parts you could use...for free. As far as the old guys, you won't find a better bunch of guys!

·
Registered
12,610 Posts
Hello Enrique, welcome to the VTXOA!
You did a great job of restoring your VTX.

You want to put "rims" on it, aka spoke wheels??
A nail in a tire/tube with spoke rim/wheel is usually a quick deflation.
You can seal the the spoke nuts.
We are a bunch of old farts for the most part.
Young guys got married , had children and sold the X.
Alabama had a online meetup forum group for all type MC.
That died and another took it's place. I has been a few years.
Best to review the Alabama board to see if you can find it.
Southern Alabama, near what city?
Mt Cheaha is a nice destination to ride to.
Good luck, enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on joining the X club. First things first ,respect the 1800 it's big,powerful and fast. Don't ever think you got it wipped ! I would not ignore the 'old guys', they probally have a wealth of info. that can give you on the bike including upkeep on do's and dont's. They just might have a few extra parts you could use...for free. As far as the old guys, you won't find a better bunch of guys!
Tar Snake,
One thing i have in me is respect for everyone and everything. I was rethinking my decision after I bought the bike and was riding it home. It almost put me on my ass a few times, you gotta be careful with that throttle I realized and also that its a big bull. I couldnt control it like the smaller bike. I didnt give up though and just kept riding on it until I got to a comfortable position to let her roar. I will take your advice on the older gents. Thanks dude.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Enrique, welcome to the VTXOA!
You did a great job of restoring your VTX.

You want to put "rims" on it, aka spoke wheels??
A nail in a tire/tube with spoke rim/wheel is usually a quick deflation.
You can seal the the spoke nuts.
We are a bunch of old farts for the most part.
Young guys got married , had children and sold the X.
Alabama had a online meetup forum group for all type MC.
That died and another took it's place. I has been a few years.
Best to review the Alabama board to see if you can find it.
Southern Alabama, near what city?
Mt Cheaha is a nice destination to ride to.
Good luck, enjoy the ride!
Thank you. I was thinking about SPokes but it does get tiring cleaning them and now with what you added I will reconsider to maybe some sort of Star shape rim. I live 40 mins northeast of Mobile, AL. I've heard of that Mt but I am yet to check it out. Would you suggest going now or during the fall?

·
Registered
12,610 Posts
Spring time is great as is the fall. Why put if off!
Sat 11apr2015 M&G at Mt Cheaha,AL. Lunch at the top of Alabama--(left to Right) Wayne, Hans, Steve, Dean, Jennifer, Wayne, Matt--. Sak-n-pak was the meet point.
Somewhere is a picture of us at the parking lot--will search for it.
I posted it on FB the following day. .May find a pic to update...

Attachments

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Spring time is great as is the fall. Why put if off!
Sat 11apr2015 M&G at Mt Cheaha,AL. Lunch at the top of Alabama--(left to Right) Wayne, Hans, Steve, Dean, Jennifer, Wayne, Matt--. Sak-n-pak was the meet point.
Somewhere is a picture of us at the parking lot--will search for it.
I posted it on FB the following day. .May find a pic to update...
Hans, was that Wayne from Scottsboro, Al. and Matt from Hiram, Ga.? Met & really liked those guys from Bully's ECG, same as where I met you! Miss the heck outta them both. Hope all is well with them. Matt has posted a couple times on the Cafe since his wife passed, and he's getting on with life.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Welcome to the site. It may be hard to find other guys in person that ride Honda cruisers. I guess it depends on the area you live in. In my area I see mostly Harley's on the road and at biker hangouts. Metric cruisers are starting to become extinct. Makes me wonder what happen to all those metric motorcycles. Years ago they were all over.

·
Premium Member
8,444 Posts
Thank you. I was thinking about SPokes but it does get tiring cleaning them and now with what you added I will reconsider to maybe some sort of Star shape rim. I live 40 mins northeast of Mobile, AL. I've heard of that Mt but I am yet to check it out. Would you suggest going now or during the fall?
Some here have done the work to polish the stock rims. Some look almost as good a chrome. It's not easy and takes a lot of work, but they look really good when done.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,610 Posts
Fran, yes it was Wayne from Scottsboro and Matt aka "Hiramsaint".
We have been on several rides with them.
Are you on FB?

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Fran, yes it was Wayne from Scottsboro and Matt aka "Hiramsaint".
We have been on several rides with them.
Are you on FB?
No, I don't do FB. I don't 'go with the flow'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts