Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 1300 gets picked up tomorrow. I really REALLY hate to see it go. I love that bike. I keep thinking how I got to have a 1800 for the extra power and the FI is really nice too. Did anybody else go through what I'm going through? Will I be ok once I make the 18 my own? The hardest part I'm getting over is the sound. I just love the sound of my 1300. Will it all go away, or will I be wanting my 1300 back in 2 weeks??

anybody?

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
You won't forget, but you'll grow to love the 1800 the way you do your 1300.

I'm debating it now too.......don't know why. In the middle of modding my 1300 more now......wish I could have 2 bikes. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have ridden my buddies 1300 S. I very much prefer my 1800C, for the reasons you have already stated, but I also liked the way mine handled better. I wouldn't even consider buying a 1300!

Hope you like your new scoot!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm starting to feel better about this. I just feel dumb selling a bike I know I love. in hopes that I will love the new one that much more. But every bike change I have made so far that is exactly what has happened.

Anybody else? :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know the single pin crank give the 1300 its sound but does this mean more vibration. The 1300 gives a pretty good shake under load up and down the hills of the Ozarks. Is the 1800 smoother? I have never rode an 18.

Thril

·
Registered
958 Posts
The two bikes sound completely different, but you will love the FI and knowing you can twist and go whenever you need to. If you plan on carry a passenger, BUY A BACKREST. I almost lost my wife our 2nd ride on the 1800. I started acros an intersectionin left lane and idiot came out of gas station trying to beat the traffic and I could see he was going to get into my lane, I goosed it in 2nd gear and she was not ready and started to slide. Good thing for eh gap in my leather vest and strong snaps.

If you like teh Harley pop pop pop exhaust note, you will not get that with the 1800. The 1300 can sound very much like a Harley. Just bite the bullet and get a sideburner or have your stock mufflers done by vtxexhaust.com.

The hydraulic clutch and dual front discs are really nice too.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts

I like de-cel pop ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If I was going through the cost and hassle of buying another bike, I would make a bigger jump; something different, maybe another brand. To me the differences between 13 and 18 are not sufficient to pay for them. As for the sound, I have a 1300 and it sounds nothing like a Harley, not even close. I don't know where people come up with this stuff.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I know the single pin crank give the 1300 its sound but does this mean more vibration. The 1300 gives a pretty good shake under load up and down the hills of the Ozarks. Is the 1800 smoother? I have never rode an 18.

Thril
Yeah the 1800 is a lot smoother. I do miss my 1300, but I love my 1800 just as much but for different reasons.

As for the sound, I have a 1300 and it sounds nothing like a Harley, not even close. I don't know where people come up with this stuff.
What pipes do you have? With sideburners a 1300 sounds much better than any HD. Sound is subjective though.

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

if it's the sound of the 1300 you love (which is one of the biggest things I like about them) then yeah, I think you'll regret it. The 1800 makes a better 2 up ride, especially if you're doing any long distance touring. Otherwise, I'd take a 1300 any doy of the week. And this is from a guy who owns NEITHER of them, so it's an unbiased opinion! :roll:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Re: ........

BDsbigZRX said:
if it's the sound of the 1300 you love (which is one of the biggest things I like about them) then yeah, I think you'll regret it. The 1800 makes a better 2 up ride, especially if you're doing any long distance touring. Otherwise, I'd take a 1300 any doy of the week. And this is from a guy who owns NEITHER of them, so it's an unbiased opinion! :roll:
lol, out of all the advice given, why would one take the advice given from someone who owns neither bike? lmao. Wouldn't a true unbiased opinion come from someone who owns BOTH of them?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have heard from people the 1800 is a better bike,I own a 1300 and I am happy with it for around town cruising.

I needed a open road bike and bought a Valk instead of another Vtwin. The 1800 is supposed to be quit a bit better do it all bike but I do not like the way they sound or the way they look compared to a 1300.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Having owned both bikes at the same time, I don't think there is anyway to answer that question for someone else.

Each bike has it's strong points and weaknesses. It really depends on what kind of driving you plan to do and what fits you the best.

The 1300 tends to have more cornering clearance and while I still scraped the boards all the time, they didn't touch down nearly as early as my 1800 did.

Sounds is subjective as I don't think the 1300 sounds better, just different. I liked the way BOTH of the bikes sounded with pipes on them.

If all you are looking for is power, the 1800 will definitely make you happy. There is a definite difference in the feel in that area. I don't think the 1300 lacks power, it's just that the 1800 has so much! It'll put a smile on your face every time you twist the grip taking off from a stoplight. The downside is that the 1800 chugs the gas at a steeper rate then the 1300's though, or at least mine did.

In the end only you will know if it was a mistake for you or not. Just have to rack up some miles on the 18 and see what you think. I will say that people tend to get used to what they have, so unless you have both bikes to ride back to back, over time you do tend to forget exactly how the other bike handled, or you tend to over exaggerate how they other bike did things when you remember.

Good luck!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think you will like the 1800 more.

The 1300 is a good bike, but the 1800 is the 1300 and more.

I think you will enjoy the larger size, power, comfort and a smoother ride.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Hummm...I'd take the 1300 rear end with you...You'll want it for the 1800 and it will make you feel like you didn't miss a beat....uh, shift. :wink:

Good luck
Bull

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I've owned both and have liked both. This crap about not having FI is just not having the bike tuned correctly so it's not a valid statement. I still miss my 13 that I put 33k trouble free miles on except for head bearings which was a two hour and under $50 fix, big deal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bigdog 1 said:
I've owned both and have liked both. This crap about not having FI is just not having the bike tuned correctly so it's not a valid statement. I still miss my 13 that I put 33k trouble free miles on except for head bearings which was a two hour and under $50 fix, big deal.
Would you do it again? would you give up your 1300 for the 1800 if you could do it all over?

At this point it dosent really matter. the guy is already in the middle of his 6 hour trip to pick up the bike. Good news is I already have my eye on a 1800 to replace my 1300.........I did hear someone say the orange ones are the fastest ones right?? :lol:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
If some some reason I had to go back to a 13 it would not bother me a bit. And since I like to ride fast both have been black. No fruity colors for me thanks :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.