Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Haveme1 and several otehr well know folks on this board have gone down and my close call with a cager turning left from a side street I have lost my desire to ride. I have been a biker for over 35 years and the joy I had for riding on the street is gone. When I got up this morning, I took my VT1300S for one last ride. I took it to the dealer and traded it in on (2) four wheelers, one for me and one for the wife. This afternoon we road them on my son's property and had the most fun we have had in years. Thanks to everyone on this site for the laughs, advice and experience.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you think about it, you really haven't given up the desire to ride. You just expanded your options. Enjoy the four wheelers and enjoy the time spend with your wife............

G

·
You have to do what your heart tells you...and if your heart is not in it, you wouldn't be safe or happy. Life is too short as it is, so do what you want and don't listen to anyone who might tell you that you should feel differently. It's your hide, and you should decide. 8)

Best of luck in your new adventures!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
rsharpe1 said:
Since Haveme1 and several other well know folks on this board have gone down and my close call with a cager turning left from a side street I have lost my desire to ride. I have been a biker for over 35 years and the joy I had for riding on the street is gone. When I got up this morning, I took my VT1300S for one last ride. I took it to the dealer and traded it in on (2) four wheelers, one for me and one for the wife. This afternoon we road them on my son's property and had the most fun we have had in years. Thanks to everyone on this site for the laughs, advice and experience.
Sorry to hear you are bummed out about the street experience.

I was kind of the opposite.....

Back in 94 I bought my first ATV...a 94 Timberwolf......rode that for a few years, often times by myself (NOT SMART!!!!)......then sometime in 96 or 97 I was in an ATV accident that left me with a badly dislocated ankle, along with a broken lower leg bone and 8 or so cracks in my ankle bones......I now have a plate and 6 screws holding that mess together......plus the remnants of a $14,000 hospital to pay (no insurance at the time....equally NOT SMART!!!)......

Well, at the time I didnt let it get to me.....in fact I went out and bought another ATV and used the first as a plow quad.....bought me a used 1987 Honda TRX250X...a sport bike....much faster but much more stable.

But in the back of my mind I thought constantly about the accident and really wanted to try the street, knowing it was dangerous too.....

SO the ATVs were stored for awhile and I bought my first street bike.....and that was almost 10 years ago.

About a year ago, my son turned 7 and he had been begging for an ATV......found him a used one and we are having a blast again riding together on the dirt.

Dont get me started on trying to support a street bike chrome habit alongside a ATV/dirt bike habit..... LOL :roll:

My point to all this is, life will take you through some strange turns sometimes.....people cant believe that after my ATV accident that I would ride one again or that I would ride a street bike.

Well, sir, the way I see it is that people die everyday from a variety of things.......hell, people die in cars everyday...hundreds of people ......but we all still drive.

We all do what we need to do to get by in life and to feel somewhat comfortable with our risks....

Just please understand that ATVs are dangerous as well......true, the trees in the woods typically don't move or jump in front of you, unlike cagers on the street.....but the ATV world has a slew of OTHER dangers that the street biker has no worries about....Get yourself into an ATV training course if they have them in your area...always wear a helmet and never ride two-up unless the ATV is built for it. And never forget that ATVs are not toys....they are serious pieces of machinery that you can get hurt or killed on.

If you lost your passion for the street, then IMHO you did the right thing....when we lose the passion for something we tend to get sloppy doing it...and that will lead to trouble.....

Done properly, ATVs are a blast and I am sure , being a veteran rider, you will see the dangers involved and ride accordingly.....you will also likely learn that the dirt has its own set of "rules". But as you have already seen, it is a blast!

Good luck and keep in touch here, maybe post pictures of your ATVs, etc...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
jwhok said:
Embracing change is the best way to move forward and enjoy life.

Have fun.
Well said jwhok. Change can go either way. But positive change is always good. Good luck rsharpe1.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
There is no set explanation for how each of us feel about the safety and wisdom of riding motorcycles. I had a rather serious accident in April on the X, several bones broken, and a couple weeks in critical condition with infection, etc. I am not healed up enough to ride yet but I really miss it and can't wait, hopefully just another couple of weeks. Just about everyone I have any contact with cannot understand this. I do not blame the motorcycle. I blame myself for not making myself more visible and not keeping enough distance away from traffic. A lesson learned the hard way, and I am 30 years into motorcycles with no problems until now. Some have accused me of being selfish and inconsiderate of my loved one's feelings because I am loved and it is wrong to put them in a position of worry. At first I swore off bikes, but have now changed my mind and am impatient to get back on. I believe there is no right or wrong answer. It is up to us and there is no shame or honor either way. It is not a question of guts. I respect your feelings. Life is just too short to spend alot of time debating and worrying about it. Some people like to jump out of airplanes. You could not pay me to do that. Some people scuba dive. I will not do that either. I say again that I truly understand and respect your decision. We have to individually make choices that make us the most comfortable. Life is too short to do otherwise. Take good care.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Good Luck and God Bless you and yours.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Got to be true to myself. If I am not true to myself then I am doing things for the wrong reasons. I respect your choices and glad that you and your wife are spending more time together. Watch out for the holes in the pasture, don't ask me why I would say this. :lol: And, just because you sold the X doesn't mean you can't still post on this board. Hope to hear from you soon.

G

·
Good luck with your new toys.....

But PLEASE be careful with those 4-Wheelers ....

We hear of so many people getting injured on them from time to time.

We used to have two of them as well as a 3 wheeler.

We had the 3 wheeler first, but all the hoopla about them being dangerous drove us to buy a couple of 4 wheeler as our kids were getting to riding age.

We are now down to several motorcycles only, I drive and they are passengers until they take the MSF course and get licensed.

I too began to question riding, what with hearing everyone here posting of their accidents but then I realized. " your in a forum with nothing but motorcycle riders from, damn, all around the world, you are going to hear about these wrecks. they may sound like a large number, but in reality its just a concentration. "

But you have to do what is right for you, as do all of us.

Again, good luck , enjoy them and BE CAREFUL

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Just have a good time on the wheelers. I work with a guy who traded in his Harley for a Pontiac Soltice car two seater. He got worrying about the people on the road. We still gave him S$tt :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
DitchDiggerB said:
If you think about it, you really haven't given up the desire to ride. You just expanded your options. Enjoy the four wheelers and enjoy the time spend with your wife............
Well said and I agree 100% I bet the two of you felt like teenagers again. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
good luck with the new rides and enjoy the time with your wife....................with that said ive been riding for just over 25 years with all kinds of bikes from harleys,goldwings.atvs..and now the best bike for me ever my retro vtx....i ride almost year around intill it snows...but ive found this year is im getting cutoff left and right ..the last time was a big ford pickup that merged on the freeway and came all the way over to the fast lane that i was in and i had to merge to the center lane close to the divider ..i looked in his big side mirror and he was looking back at me
with shrugged shoulders and both hands up in the air ....i dont try to race or weave in and out of traffic ...ive never flipped anyone off i just keep to myself and want to enjoy my machine ..im telling you im starting to get scared ..but on the other hand i really deeply love to ride motorcycles ...any one who hangs it up ..no shame in doing that..the fact is it is a dangerous addiction...and most of the time the cutoffs are someone with a cell phone not paying attention

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
rsharpe1 said:
Since Haveme1 and several otehr well know folks on this board have gone down and my close call with a cager turning left from a side street I have lost my desire to ride. I have been a biker for over 35 years and the joy I had for riding on the street is gone. When I got up this morning, I took my VT1300S for one last ride. I took it to the dealer and traded it in on (2) four wheelers, one for me and one for the wife. This afternoon we road them on my son's property and had the most fun we have had in years. Thanks to everyone on this site for the laughs, advice and experience.

Good choice, because it's you're Life and you're choice..
And don't let anyone try to tell you different!!

I have been thinking about going back to just dirt biking myself..

Good luck and have fun.
If you can find the time, post some pictures of the new wheels..

Dave

·
Registered
485 Posts
good luck and be safe, more folks in wv get killed on those things than mc's. your smart to ride in your boy's yard and not out in the open. keep all four wheels to the grass...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yep, 35 years of riding and I go back and forth. While cagers have never been very cognizant of their surroundings, they are getting worse every year. Now almost everyone tailgates (like it gets you anywhere faster), most do rolling stops, many weave in and out of traffic, alot ignore traffic lights, and very few seem to understand the difference between red yield signs, yellow yield signs and merge signs. Plus, there are alot of people running on hate and drugs (legal and illegal drugs). I think we need to bring the good parts of the 60's back.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
hi bro....understand where yer coming from on your decision. if that's how ya really feel then a MC isn't the place for you to be anymore. be careful on the atv though cause it can whip ya too. have a couple friends and a relative that will never walk again from accidents on those. 35-40 years of ridin here too and for me there's no question....soon as i'm able i'm back in the saddle. whatever you end up ridin on ride safe bro......

·
Registered
248 Posts
ponyz101 said:
hi bro....understand where yer coming from on your decision. if that's how ya really feel then a MC isn't the place for you to be anymore. be careful on the atv though cause it can whip ya too. have a couple friends and a relative that will never walk again from accidents on those. 35-40 years of ridin here too and for me there's no question....soon as i'm able i'm back in the saddle. whatever you end up ridin on ride safe bro......
+1 ... I've known several church going friends who ride different things. A few had accidents but the only one who died was a father of 3 on an ATV. I think they are more dangerous, but if you ride it less than your X, that will be the difference chancewise. Just be carefull either way.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I did something similiar in that I had a plan to sale my bike and get a jeep wrangler, so i could take the whole family on my outings rather than leaving them behind. well, it didnt sale right away so i got the jeep 1st, then when i had a serious buyer i just couldn't let the bike go. i ended up keeping the bike and about a year later sold the jeep. it wasnt because i lost the passion in riding but was trying to do more w/ my family. but now, i just balance it all out and i think im happier and as my wife would say, 'easier to live with when i have a bike' :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts