Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 06 VTX 1300 R about a week ago and overall I love it but I have a couple of concerns, hope somebody can help me. First one is shifting into 2nd gear and also back to 1st, this thing is so loud shifting to 2nd I grit my teeth every time I do it. I was riding beside a buddy of mine the other day, he was riding a Suzuki with Harley pipes and even he could hear it and made a comment to me. Second is popping and bucking at low speed low RPM's. I can be running about 25 in 2nd gear and it will just pop and buck and then pick right up where it left off and away we go again. If anybody has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I do love my bike what a sweet ride it is.

·
Registered
222 Posts
First of all, welcome to the VTX family! You've chosen a great bike and this is a terrific place for info.

The loud shifting from 1st to 2nd and vice versa is totally normal. It is just part of the personality of these bikes. If you change to a synthetic oil it will minimize it, but it will always be there; thats just the way it is.

As for the bucking and popping at low rpms, mine used to do that, too. I would say you're probably running lean. You need to do the scar tuning method to your carb.

The thread is here: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... simplified

That solved everything for me, and now mine has never run better. I'm running 2 shims and 2 1/2 turns on the AF screw with a K&N filter, Neutron mod and drilled out pipes. How you tune yours is going to depend on what you are running for a breather setup and pipes. Give it a shot, though; it is a lot simpler and easier than you may think. And if you have any trouble, you can always come here for answers.

Good luck,

-Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the info at least I know I don't have to grit my teeth anymore and I will have to give the scar method a shot I want to do something about the pipes so I will let my decision there dictate the tunage I guess thanks again. I love this sight I can't believe the info here it is great.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
First off welcome to the family.

Does it pop when it is warmed up good. If doing all the time do the scar tune. If it clears itself once it is warmed up I wouldn't fix whats not broke.
Like Bullfrog said the shifting noise is just a charactaristic (sp?) that we all worried about at first but have not only grown accustomed to but appreciate it for the KA CLUNK music it is. Enjoy the ride and we look forward to seeing you here more and on the road.

Smokey

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Always

Yea it does it pretty much all the time but it's only at what I call low R's and low speed, I have almost 400 miles on it now so I may just wait til I get that first service and go from there. Thanks for your input. BTW I would like to see some pics of your hard bags on your bike need some bags and can't decide.

G

·
Welcome to VTX land.

THat popping and bucking ???

My 06 1300 R did the same thing.

At about 1200 - 1300 miles it all went away, actually it could have gone away sooner but this is where all the little idle issues went away.

I had a bit of trouble with unsteady idle from time to time. Tempted to use the choke but resisted.

I did no adjustment to my bike other than up the idle speed a tad with the screw near the air box.

If I were you, I might ride it out a bit and see how it goes.

Like I said, I had the issue and at time it was a bit nerve wrecking but I was able to tolerate it, knowing it could happen. Once I got past 1300 miles or so not any issues at all. Even had to readjust my idle down a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bullfrog75 said:
I just bought my 06 VTX 1300 R about a week ago and overall I love it but I have a couple of concerns, hope somebody can help me. First one is shifting into 2nd gear and also back to 1st, this thing is so loud shifting to 2nd I grit my teeth every time I do it. I was riding beside a buddy of mine the other day, he was riding a Suzuki with Harley pipes and even he could hear it and made a comment to me. Second is popping and bucking at low speed low RPM's. I can be running about 25 in 2nd gear and it will just pop and buck and then pick right up where it left off and away we go again. If anybody has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I do love my bike what a sweet ride it is.
Try pausing before you shift as thats what I do and you actually get NO NOISE!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
The popping/bucking thing....mine did that too once in a while when I first got it. Though it just stopped after about 200-300 miles? I had forgot about it till you mentioned it. Not sure what causes it, cept maybe things just needed to fall into place better? LOL

Clunking......when you change your oil to synthetic it may help. I smoothed mine out quite a bit, though it's still pretty loud over all. The short pause as you shift works best.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Don't down shift into 1st until you are nearly stopped. But, be sure you do down shift before coming to a stop. This will minimize the clunk into 1st.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Use AMSOIL. It is a much smoother shift - but it still klunks. Just a softer klunk.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
This is the very character of the 1300; and as stated, perfectly normal. Totally cool -- can't live without it! It's amazing how one man's annoyance is another's nirvana, but whatever will be will be.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Welcome to the board and the X family.
The clunk reminds me of the older Harleys the way they used to shift.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think the clunk is the only thing about my X that I dislike. I've had other bikers pull up to me and ask me what was wrong with my bike after they heard it clunking from 2 or 3 hundred feet away. :oops:

·
Registered
996 Posts
clunk

amsoil did wonders for my bike. still a little clunk, but it is mostly drowned out by my big shots. 500% improvement though...shifts much smoother and barely clunks anymore...easier to downshift into first as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A mechanic told me that Honda purposely put the "clunk" sound for second gear in the VTX just to make it sound like a Harley. Anyone else heard that?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Bullfrog75 said:
I did upgrade two days ago from my 04 aero 750 to a 06 VTX 1300 C candy orange whit 0 miles on it, i all ready put on it 180 miles and i having the same problem abouth noises, it also have a noise when i drive in first gear in a parking lote at abouth 12 MPH and you let the throttle go just a little i heard a nocking noise like if you are tapping lightly whit a hammer in the cranck case, the noise is at the bottom of the engine, also i can hear it in second gear at about 23 MPH, and the engine noise make me a little sad, bad luck when you pay for some brand new thing and that hapen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts