Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think your pipes are what would be considered loud? And do you think loud pipe save lives.

I've got straights that run all the way to the back fender on my R. At an idle its a nice little lope, nothing that I would consider loud at all and a few people do compliment that it sounds very agreeable. At highway speeds I'm sure its quite a bit louder and even obnoxious, but nothing more than a semi that's at highway speeds or even some big 4wd trucks.

I have noticed that when at road speeds, where I'm keeping a more or less constant speed that i have about 1/4 inch or so area on the throttle where i can maintain the same speed but change the sound from a low rumble to more of a 'snap' that is a quite a bit louder (just where fuel is starting to increase in the carb outlet).

That being said, I believe that for the most part a 'loud' bike is more about how the rider handles the bike than the pipes, though with extremely short pipes, its loud pretty much no matter what.

The point to this is I DO think loud pipes save lives, and here's why:

Today I'm coming into work, and its pretty light on the highway. I'm cruising along and I'm overtaking a car on the left side. We're in a 55mph area, this car is doing around 45 or so and there's nothing around for probably 300 yards in either direction. I'm buzzing along at around 60 or so and i switch lanes to pass. The car starts speeding up a bit as I'm coming around it so by the time i get up to the they are doing around 55 or a little better.
In the car is a young female, on a cell phone, looking through her purse while she's on the highway at speed. Just as my front tire reaches about her door or so, she start coming into my lane, not even looking, still with her face in her purse. I blipped the throttle to downshift and as soon as she heard the exhaust her head snapped around, she had no idea i was even there, and then she got back in her lane. I went ahead and got ahead of her and said really nasty things about her family line and pets.

So yeah, to me, loud pipes do save lives.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought that was what the horn was for. And when not needed the horn is silent. And there are even aftermarket horns that can get real loud.

To most people that like bikes, pipes make the bike but it does not take long for that nice rumble to become a VERY BIG nuisance.
So much so that they are becoming unwelcome.

·
Old Goat
26,218 Posts
I thought that was what the horn was for. And when not needed the horn is silent. And there are even aftermarket horns that can get real loud.

To most people that like bikes, pipes make the bike but it does not take long for that nice rumble to become a VERY BIG nuisance.
So much so that they are becoming unwelcome.
I agree, also Ive got cobra slipons on my R for the moment and they are obnoxiously loud, I will be changing them out shortly. I dont want to start an argument but as a cage driver also, Ive never noticed loud pipes behind me , only coming at me. (Course could be my age) :mrgreen: As for the horn I installed 2 freeway blasters and I do believe I get more of the finger with my horn than my pipes :thumbup:. Have a good one

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Good riding skills will do far more for you than loud pipes. Thinking the other driver is going to do the right thing is a recipe for disaster, it doesn't matter if you think they see or hear you or not. Plan on them making the worst possible move and make your escape plans accordingly. As for loud pipes they will soon be illegal so we won't have to worry about this discussion in the future.

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
LOUD, did some one say LOUD :D:D Bubs and Now X-Roids :bowdown::bowdown:

·
Super Moderator
64,210 Posts
It took you longer to downshift and blip the throttle than it would have to beep your horn. You failed your safe riding class.
1. People are "Trained" to hear and HEED a horn as a warning. They hear a horn and people know that someone/something is trying to get their attention. The whole "Pavlov's dog" reactions. People are NOT trained to hear an exhaust
2. People also do not always hear anything while driving with windows up, radio playing, and air conditioning on. I drove very large fire trucks with Q-sirens, electric sirens and air horns blasting all with bright flashy lights on thema nd I would be right behind them and they did not hear or see the truck.
3. Sound is directional, meaning, your exhaust sound is exiting the rear of your bike. Yes, you hear it up front, but more sound goes rearward.

Use your horn
Take a MSF Riding class

That "Loud pipes bla bla bla..." saying is old and very outdated. First said when cars has no sound proofing, small AM radios and no cell phones. Use your brain to get you out of situations, not your pipes

·
Registered
117 Posts
True story not made up as a response to this post.

Last night about 7:00 pm. It is dark and raining and I am riding my quite as a mouse beemer GS 2-up on the superslab. As I am passing a minivan it starts to pull into my lane. I hit the horn and they quickly pulled back. I have done this several times and it does work.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It took you longer to downshift and blip the throttle than it would have to beep your horn. You failed your safe riding class.
1. People are "Trained" to hear and HEED a horn as a warning. They hear a horn and people know that someone/something is trying to get their attention. The whole "Pavlov's dog" reactions. People are NOT trained to hear an exhaust
2. People also do not always hear anything while driving with windows up, radio playing, and air conditioning on. I drove very large fire trucks with Q-sirens, electric sirens and air horns blasting all with bright flashy lights on thema nd I would be right behind them and they did not hear or see the truck.
3. Sound is directional, meaning, your exhaust sound is exiting the rear of your bike. Yes, you hear it up front, but more sound goes rearward.

Use your horn
Take a MSF Riding class

That "Loud pipes bla bla bla..." saying is old and very outdated. First said when cars has no sound proofing, small AM radios and no cell phones. Use your brain to get you out of situations, not your pipes
msf is required in the state of florida. been there, done that, my aim wasn't to scare her as she was drifting mindlessly into my lane it was to get out of the way. I've observed too many times people that honk, or even snap the pipes scaring the driver and the jerking motion of the driver either caused or came closer to causing an accident than the driver's pace at coming into the rider's lane.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
:agree: Hit the horn. Stable horn in my case. Scare the hell out of them. Loud pips & horn is a good combo.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Downshifting? at 60? I'm confused...
My thoughts are if you saw that she was not paying attension to the road, cell phone, purse etc. why in the world would you even stay anywhere near her? I would have blasted past her before she even knew I was there.

Straight pipes on a 1300 = obnoxiously loud and for me I hate riding behind anyone who has them no matter what kinda bike there on.

Don't confuse loud pipes as a safety net over common sense defensive riding

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Downshifting? at 60? I'm confused...
My thoughts are if you saw that she was not paying attension to the road, cell phone, purse etc. why in the world would you even stay anywhere near her? I would have blasted past her before she even knew I was there.

Straight pipes on a 1300 = obnoxiously loud and for me I hate riding behind anyone who has them no matter what kinda bike there on.

Don't confuse loud pipes as a safety net over common sense defensive riding
+1 :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
loud pipes

Loud pipes, saves lives.............Well in this case, may have. None of us were there with the exception of Mikevtx05.
Yep there are lots of good advice here, use this, use that, but no, loud pipes are just obnoxious..........lol
Maybe go back to the way I was taught, when you are about to pass/over take a car. Flash your head lights, it's not just to warn on coming traffic, it's to warn the driver you are over taking.
Yes, we as motorcycle riders have to take responsibility and do every thing humanly possible not to be involved in a life threating situation.

The only thing that will ever make the road ways safer in this nation.
SAFER FOR ALL, pedestrians, motocycles, autos, 18 wheelers, a like.

IS TO REQUIRE: All motorvehicle operators to take the MSF coarse and maintain a motorcycle endorsement on their license.

PERIOD!!
Believe what you believe, preach what ever, if you want safe roadways, promote this idea.

·
Super Moderator
64,210 Posts
msf is required in the state of florida. been there, done that, my aim wasn't to scare her as she was drifting mindlessly into my lane it was to get out of the way. I've observed too many times people that honk, or even snap the pipes scaring the driver and the jerking motion of the driver either caused or came closer to causing an accident than the driver's pace at coming into the rider's lane.
This makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. Your aim WASN"T to scare her?? So, how does making the exhaust blast different from a horn blast and not scare her? Other than a second more to roll on the throttle that you could have used to escape to safety?

Facts remain, people are trained, maybe conditioned is a better term, to hear and respond to a horn blast. Exhaust blasts, especially in highly used roads by motorcycles, are just background noise that a lot of people tune out. You got lucky that this one heard the exhaust. But now you have essentially conditioned yourself to roll on the throttle to scare someone, and the next time that person may very well never respond to that and now what?

Use your horn
Take a MSF Advanced Riders class, not just the first time rider class

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have load pipes (V&H Bis Shots) for one reason and that is I like the sound. The Girl would have responded to the horn just as fast if not faster. Load pipes can annoy you just need to be respectful and know when to stay of the throttle

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I'm with ya Mike. I've got a Hacker exhaust system that exhausts 90* to the right, directly behind my right foot. they are EXTREMELY loud, and I too have seen drivers change direction, or stay in place at a stop sign instead of pull out in front of me. I've had deer stop and stand on the shoulder when they heard me coming... the arrogant azzhole bicyclists that ride 3 abreast in the lane at 25 mph in a 35 zone, when I close my throttle about 200 feet behind them and they hear the compression brake, they scatter outta the way.... but the best was last summer. WA state just passed the no cell phone without the handsfree device last July, and its being completely ignored, big surprise there huh, so I had the good luck to find myself in the left turn lane, beside a young blonde woman flapping her food hole into a cell phone nonstop, at a red light. SO... we sat there for a good 3 minutes, my exhaust conviently aimed at her car door, and my throttle at about 1/3rd... suffice it to say, her conversation was over!:mrgreen: So, yeah, loud pipes not only save lives, my loud pipes have enforced the law! 8)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. Your aim WASN"T to scare her?? So, how does making the exhaust blast different from a horn blast and not scare her? Other than a second more to roll on the throttle that you could have used to escape to safety?

Facts remain, people are trained, maybe conditioned is a better term, to hear and respond to a horn blast. Exhaust blasts, especially in highly used roads by motorcycles, are just background noise that a lot of people tune out. You got lucky that this one heard the exhaust. But now you have essentially conditioned yourself to roll on the throttle to scare someone, and the next time that person may very well never respond to that and now what?

Use your horn
Horn sucks, ill stick with the pipes. I'll take a road full of people thinking about 'that damned loud bike* over a road full of 'who's honking' all day long.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Use your horn
This is a pointless discussion on a motorcycle forum, it's like preaching to the choir.

Fact: Just like most folks are conditioned to see the mandantory "on" head lights or modulated head lights or the strobe lights on school buses, ya still hear about school buses getting run into also. Cagers are conditioned not to see us, PERIOD!!!
Fact is, Most folks need the **** scared out of them, If every motor vehicle operator learned what it feels like to be as vunerable as a motorcyclist, they'd pull there head of their asses and drive responsibly.

If you can't obtain a MC endorcement, you don't need to be on the roadways period!!

I believe Carnage on the road ways of America is the number one cause of death or pretty darn near it. That fact alone needs to be addressed, not what we as riders should be or not be doing to stay alive.

Either dismiss this silly idea of how the motorcyclist can save him self or out law motorcycles all together.

Everyone has a theory......., but the fact still remains,
They NEVER SEE US. Conditioning I guess?

All this being said, I feel a lot safer knowing there are some motorcyclist in cages on the roadways, and the number is growing.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Either dismiss this silly idea of how the motorcyclist can save him self or out law motorcycles all together.

While I appreciate your idea (and agree in principle) the result of that type of legislation would most likely result in motorcycles being outlawed all together. ;) But, I see you have already thought of that.

G

·
My pipes are loud enough and they are stock.

Do I believe " loud pipes save lives ", I believe it to be an urban legend without merit. That's my belief, and it is derived from 37 years of riding experience on bikes and in cages while looking for bikes on the road.

Cages today are designed to be so quiet on the interior that you can barely here an ERV with it's siren blaring until it is almost on top of you.

I do know this ...... LOUD PIPES CREATE MORE LAWS !!!!!

In fact there have been some cases where people have turned their head in the direction of a loud noise not knowing a bike was RIGHT NEXT to them. As they turned their head to look they inadvertently turned the cage in the direction of the sound and INTO THE PATH OF THE MOTORCYCLE.

Do what you want. It's your ass out there!!! :D

Believe what you want.

Don't try to change my mind ... you can't !!!! :p

1 - 20 of 103 Posts