Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the thread about possibly getting tickets for loud pipes. I had been wondering about this. I really want the Mortons down n outs, but worry they may be too loud. I live in the country so pissing off the neighors shouldn't be much of an issue, but I'm not sure I want them to be too obnoxious at intersections and things like that. Is there a huge difference between the loudness of these three pipes?

Thanks,
Kfox

·
Registered
144 Posts
My buddy has Morton's down and outs on his Spirit. HE hasn't gotten a ticket. I think its just a matter of when and where you "get on it", the throttle I mean. Just don't be a loud jerk when you don't need to be. (that goes for your drinking too.)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Mortons just a straight single walled pipe i think.Should have the same sound as running just about any type of pipes of the same size with no baffles etc

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Mortons are a str8 pipe w/o baffles, But Doug has baffles for them if you want them. They are no louder than other pipes of the same ilk.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know they had baffles for them. That makes my decision easier. I can add the baffles later if I need/want to.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a set of Torque Cones I had installed in my Sportster a couple of years ago, but they don't quiet anything down. All they do is say for an example your exhaust hole diameter at the head of your engine is 1-1/4", these torque cones go from that 1-1/4" diameter and close it up to 1" in diameter (to give you a rough example of how they are made).

The reason they do this is to create back-pressure inside of the head when the engine is running. Engines with no back-pressure run like crap unless they are tuned for running like this at a quarter mile track. And that's about the only place an exhaust system that is straight through helps out.

My 1200 Sportster Custom lost power and torque when I installed the Sampson Rip Saw's (a straight through exhaust) until I added the torque cones, but they were way too loud. I ended up welding up a set of baffles and installing them inside of the pipes to fix that problem. Only then did I fix the loud and the torque problem.

So don't buy these Torque Cones if your just looking to quiet any straight through pipes down. The only thing that I'm aware of is either a muffler or baffles that will quiet them down. And once you add one or the other, then you no longer need the cones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts