Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any LED (or other) alternatives that consume less power and be at least as bright as the stock headlight / tailight for a 1300C model? Since these lamps are always on, my thinking is that replacing them would lessen the power demand and extend the life of my stator.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Nope wont work. IMO.... Stator puts out 100% all the time.(more or less) Regulator shunts extra current to ground.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Y&N there are some led highway light available but they are way to bright for oncoming traffic.
But for side country roads with no on comming led's will light up the whole road like daylight.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I've read before that increased load does not affect the stator so lets explore this concept. Lets take an extreme example. What would happen hypothetically if I added a 500watt spotlight? Would it just light up at less than its maximum output and not burn out the stator?

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Ok. I've read before that increased load does not affect the stator so lets explore this concept. Lets take an extreme example. What would happen hypothetically if I added a 500watt spotlight? Would it just light up at less than its maximum output and not burn out the stator?
The battery would be drained faster than the stator could keep up. The stator puts out a constant and the regulator keeps from over charging the battery.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
It would probably burn real nice and purty until the battery was drained of reserve, then low voltage would make it spit, sputter, cough all the way to the side of the road. Where you then realize the error of your ways and unhook the 500 watt headlight and hope you can push start a 750 lb motorcycle.....lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would probably burn real nice and purty until the battery was drained of reserve, then low voltage would make it spit, sputter, cough all the way to the side of the road. Where you then realize the error of your ways and unhook the 500 watt headlight and hope you can push start a 750 lb motorcycle.....lol
OK, so now I'm starting to get it. Lessening the wattage load won't do anything in particular for my stator, but it will enable the stator to keep my battery charged. Then I imagine that lessening the headlight would give me the most benefit, and the tailight sinc they're always on.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Y&N there are some led highway light available but they are way to bright for oncoming traffic.
But for side country roads with no on comming led's will light up the whole road like daylight.
Hi Doug, do you the models that would work with the C? Almost all of my riding is on back roads, plus I image it could be gated down in brightness with a resistor.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
OK, so now I'm starting to get it. Lessening the wattage load won't do anything in particular for my stator, but it will enable the stator to keep my battery charged. Then I imagine that lessening the headlight would give me the most benefit, and the tailight sinc they're always on.

No not really. As long as you dont have more add ons than the charger can provide power for there is no gain. none. The battery can only charge at a rate, you cant just jam a 100 amps in it.......Using less power is not going to give you any noticable benefit. You really want to be in the 75%-90% usage range. So of the 330 watts available you can use 250-300 with no problems. This keeps the shunt from always having a max load as well as the supply from being at a max load. IMHO
I am not saying you cant do it....but the real gain is maximum lumens for minimal power. ie...making yourself more visible to other vehicles without overtaxing the system.

Hans had a very interesting break down on power consumption for the bike, its varies as you go through the day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
led headlight

Talk to Scott @ CanadianCrusierCustomizing. He has what your looking for, and he is a VTX guy. I have swapped out all of my lamps to LED's. I also have in the delivery process currently. 2 H3 led replacement bulbs for my driving lights, and he has a brand new LED headlight bulb replacement for the VTX. Hope this helps, Cheers.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So of the 330 watts available you can use 250-300 with no problems. This keeps the shunt from always having a max load as well as the supply from being at a max load.
I haven't found Hans' power usage thread yet, but so far it looks like I'm OK?
Headlight5560
Tail/Brake521
License55
F Run/Turn (2)
R Turn (2)4242
GPS1515
iPhone charger2323
Light Bar7070

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Yes, keep in mind blinks not on at all times. What we have been doing is going LED on fog/ running lights. I will try to find Hans breakdown.
I had 55 watt lamps and traded for LEDs. I didn't realize u r try in to save power for extras...lol .

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, keep in mind blinks not on at all times. What we have been doing is going LED on fog/ running lights. I will try to find Hans breakdown.
I had 55 watt lamps and traded for LEDs. I didn't realize u r try in to save power for extras...lol .
Now I'm beginning to think I may have a problem. I just found Hans&Feet's thread where he determined power consumption and updated my table to 279 min, but 332 max. That's without the horn. Of course it's not realistic that I would need sustained max power, but that 279 is getting close.
AmpsMin WattsMax Watts
Light Bar5.87025%7021%
Headlight
4.65520%6018%
Air Horn00%0%
Coolent Fan4.55419%5416%
R Turn (2)3.54215%4213%
iPhone charger
1.9238%237%
GPS1.3155%155%
F Run/Turn (2)
3.5104%4213%
Tail/Brake1.852%216%
License0.452%52%

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
As I understand it, the stator is always going to put out the same amount all the time.

Using less won't cause the stator to work less hard. Over taxing it will only drain the battery faster than the stator can use it.

It's like having a faucet filling a bucket. You can either use the water faster than it's replenished and it will eventually go empty, or you use less than supplied and the excess runs over the edge of the bucket onto the ground.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Talk to Scott @ CanadianCrusierCustomizing. He has what your looking for, and he is a VTX guy. I have swapped out all of my lamps to LED's. I also have in the delivery process currently. 2 H3 led replacement bulbs for my driving lights, and he has a brand new LED headlight bulb replacement for the VTX. Hope this helps, Cheers.

If you don't mind, when you get that headlight bulb installed, let me know how it is at night and if you like it. Very interested about that bulb.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you don't mind, when you get that headlight bulb installed, let me know how it is at night and if you like it. Very interested about that bulb.
They're out of the office for 2 weeks but I'll leave them an email

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I made an error, its a 30 amp 360 watt system. So you get a little more power to use. Notice the biggest load, light bar=70 watts. Not everything runs all the time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts