Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Wow, that is some serious LED lighting. I hate paying for the Ultras but this is really neat looking. Dang now you got me looking at more LEDs. OK who has one and for how long, or has the OP bought some and we are waiting for the report. The pics show a hot spot in the beam, or so it seams to me.
Hmmm wonder what a 20000 rpm fan draws in power.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Talk to Scott @ CanadianCrusierCustomizing. He has what your looking for, and he is a VTX guy. I have swapped out all of my lamps to LED's. I also have in the delivery process currently. 2 H3 led replacement bulbs for my driving lights, and he has a brand new LED headlight bulb replacement for the VTX. Hope this helps, Cheers.
Interesting, but HID puts out almost double the lumens with less draw.
Whats the advantage?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Whats the advantage?
So how much current does a HID draw. Most I have found are either 35 or 55 watt.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
So how much current does a HID draw. Most I have found are either 35 or 55 watt.
Yes - thats right
The Canadian LED takes 48 and puts out 1600 lumens.
The 35 watt HID puts out 3200 lumens.

Not sure if high beam is 24 + 24 or what for the H4 LED.

In either case, more lumens per watt with HID.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
35 watt HID headlight from DDM tuning will save you about 20 watts - I dont think it will do anything for your stator though

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit
I just spoke with their sales dept. and was told that the current drain is the same, and at first a little more, as the standard lamp. So the only way I would save 20 watts would be to drop to a 35 watt HID. That would yield about 49 watts, somewhat less bright than the current 55 watt.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I just spoke with their sales dept. and was told that the current drain is the same, and at first a little more, as the standard lamp. So the only way I would save 20 watts would be to drop to a 35 watt HID. That would yield about 49 watts, somewhat less bright than the current 55 watt.
Less bright??
Stock 55 watt headlight puts out about 1200 lumens
A 35 watt HID puts out 3200 lumens - over twice as bright as the stock headlight bulb.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Less bright??
Stock 55 watt headlight puts out about 1200 lumens
A 35 watt HID puts out 3200 lumens - over twice as bright as the stock headlight bulb.
I'm still learning here - so it's not the wattage that counts - it's the lumens?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Not much power savings either way. They all use about same power within an amp or two. The real power is in the running lights that chew up power. My experience with LEDs so far is availability. When one blows out you got nothing until you order another. Thats mainly why I stay with standard headlamps, ease of replacement. I can get a bulb anywhere, almost. HID or LED you got to have "until then" options. IMHO

Well power counts for drain on the charging system. As I said its getting the most light (lumens) for least amount of power. But.......

Volts X Amps = Watts so 12 volts X 3 amps = 36 watts. The amount of light generated is dependent on the type of illumination. Resistive, gaseous, photon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your only two VIABLE options for the headlight only at this point are an HID kit or the Harley Daymaker LED (the 5 3/4" version) HID kit is under 100 bucks, the Harley Daymaker is close to 400.

AS for other lights and accessories, you can free SOME power by using the drop in replacements from customdynamics, but I'd worry more on the tail light because only properly retrofitted tail light with strong LED arrays have seemed to be worth while. The drop in bulbs just are not bright enough at this time unless it's CREE based

As for that bulb with the fan on it, it looks cool, i'd love to have one to test out in a controlled environment. However, being that the diodes are uni directional and your reflector housing uses light from all around a bulb to "focus" it to the road, is what worries me, I don't think there would be enough side fill light, or somewhere light would be missing.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
. HID or LED you got to have "until then" options.
"until then" -I just disconnect the ballast and stick a regular bulb back in. Had to do that when the NDana kit blew a bulb. Took an extra minute to pull the HID fuse and pull the H4 connector off the ballast. Pretty easy stuff. :dontknow:

·
Registered
53 Posts
LED Headlight

If you don't mind, when you get that headlight bulb installed, let me know how it is at night and if you like it. Very interested about that bulb.
I got the headlight installed, and I am very happy with it so far. Took 5 minutes to install and is holding up very well. The light is pure white, and what a difference it makes at night over the yellow halogen lamps. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
I got the headlight installed, and I am very happy with it so far. Took 5 minutes to install and is holding up very well. The light is pure white, and what a difference it makes at night over the yellow halogen lamps. Well worth the money.
Pictures---we need pictures! Before and after of something illuminated from the same place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
lol

Pictures---we need pictures! Before and after of something illuminated from the same place.
LOL HANS. Here's what I have for pics so far. I will facilitate a photo shoot this weekend, to comply with your request properly. :p

That is on low beam setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Thank You gowrench!
I appreciate you making a photo shoot.

That looks impressive! Has it got a good flat top beam pattern(mainly in the middle)?
I am guessing that high beam has BOTH leds on?? y/n

On the cutting edge of reasonable priced Led high power automotive headlights.
I see they require 37v so the driver is a voltage converter and regulator.
Driver is 6cm x 5cm x 1.5cm ( 2.4" x 2" x .6")
http://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/products/xlamp/arrays-nondirectional/xlamp-cxa1512

http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...7/CXA1512-0000-000N00K40E7-ND/3641925?cur=USD

http://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/cree-cxa-series/2610

Googled "h4 led headlight CXA1512" and see china suppliers all over.

http://www.vleds.com/checkout/cart/
Bulb Type1 x H4 9003 5K CXA | 1 PAIR (backordered 8-15) B/O $99.99 ONE PAIR!
Just in cart--nothing purchased.

When another 1000 retailers start selling, price will drop.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Whats the advantage?
One advantage (kind of) that I can see is that the LED headlight upgrade should be a fairly simple process. It's not exactly difficult to install an HID, but you do need to find/make space for a ballast, ignitor, and relay harness. LED should be more-or-less a direct swap, no?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts