·
Registered
2,375 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank You gowrench!
I appreciate you making a photo shoot.

That looks impressive! Has it got a good flat top beam pattern(mainly in the middle)?
I am guessing that high beam has BOTH leds on?? y/n

On the cutting edge of reasonable priced Led high power automotive headlights.
I see they require 37v so the driver is a voltage converter and regulator.
Driver is 6cm x 5cm x 1.5cm ( 2.4" x 2" x .6")
http://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/products/xlamp/arrays-nondirectional/xlamp-cxa1512

http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...7/CXA1512-0000-000N00K40E7-ND/3641925?cur=USD

http://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/cree-cxa-series/2610

Googled "h4 led headlight CXA1512" and see china suppliers all over.

http://www.vleds.com/checkout/cart/
Bulb Type1 x H4 9003 5K CXA | 1 PAIR (backordered 8-15) B/O $99.99 ONE PAIR!
Just in cart--nothing purchased.

When another 1000 retailers start selling, price will drop.
Hans, yes there is a voltage regulator that comes with lamp. it easily fit into the headlight bucket.

The way the lamp illuminates the bucket is as follows. There are 2 diodes in the assembly, top and bottom if looking directly at the light. On low beam, only the upper diode illuminates, filling the upper 1/2 of reflector, on high beam, both diodes illuminate, and fill the reflector.

What I found to be the biggest difference with this bulb assembly, is how much a difference the pure white light made, when illuminating road signs, and the road for that matter. The signs reflected better, and the road seemed sharper. As a person who wears glasses due to stigmatism, it was a huge improvement.

Thus far, I have not had any vehicles flash me that the lights were too bright. As in the picture, I also replaced my H3 spot lights with H3 Led's from CCC.

Scott is the best guy to answer the more technical questions, as its his product. I bought the unit to help unload my charging system somewhat so that I could add audio. @ 70 CAD dollars, I'm very happy with the light.
So far I have put about 150miles on the light, and works fine. So far vibration has not caused any issues.

Everyone please understand, I am not advocating a product for anybody as I have no vested interested, just offering what I perceive to be a viable and cost effective alternative.

Kind regards, Nick

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Everyone please understand, I am not advocating a product for anybody as I have no vested interested, just offering what I perceive to be a viable and cost effective alternative.

Kind regards, Nick
Absolutely, please keep us posted. This is very interesting.
Like to see how you like it in the coming months.

How have you found the light pattern compared to a stock bulb. Does it light up the sides of the road more, is it more of a spotlight shining further down the road, or is it about the same?

I like that the high beam is actually a second LED as opposed to the magnetic tilting of the HID. Should be very reliable as long as heat isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm seeing a separate driver or controller of some sort in addition to the bulb. The need for a fan is kind of troubling.
Looks interesting but not ready to jump on board just yet. Maybe if my HID burns out I'll consider it. Pretty simple install also IMO for either one.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...headlight-H4-LED-1800lm-Auto/1005436660.html#
I definitely missed all that extra 'stuff' when I first looked at it. Looks similar to what you'd have to squeeze in there for an HID setup... maybe a little less.

I do like the idea of LED headlights. They're making huge strides in the developing and manufacturing of these... I remember it wasn't that long ago when the idea of an LED or LED array powerful enough to use as a headlight seemed unrealistic.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I definitely missed all that extra 'stuff' when I first looked at it. Looks similar to what you'd have to squeeze in there for an HID setup... maybe a little less.

I do like the idea of LED headlights. They're making huge strides in the developing and manufacturing of these... I remember it wasn't that long ago when the idea of an LED or LED array powerful enough to use as a headlight seemed unrealistic.
Yes - definitely have come a long way. I don't see a relay or need for a separate power line so it should indeed be slightly simpler.
I remember a huge 4 d cell maglight I used to keep in the car. Doubled as a weapon. Now a single AA LED penlight puts out better light. Amazing stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Absolutely, please keep us posted. This is very interesting.
Like to see how you like it in the coming months.

How have you found the light pattern compared to a stock bulb. Does it light up the sides of the road more, is it more of a spotlight shining further down the road, or is it about the same?

I must admit, I didn't pay that much attention to the beam direction or width. However I will tonight when I go out, and will report back.
What I did notice is a very distinct "edge" to the light pattern. Almost like a marked line between light and dark. When looking down in front of the bike while riding, the light pattern seemed to be very defined, perhaps because the light is pure white, and yellow from the stock lamp.

I will have better answers for you guys over the weekend. I didn't pay much attention to the details, as the lighting difference allowed me to "renew" my night time riding experiences. LOL
Seemed like I may have been riding a bit faster than usually as I perceived I could see better. Hopefully that theory holds, and I don't over ride my light.

Kind regards, Nick.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One advantage (kind of) that I can see is that the LED headlight upgrade should be a fairly simple process. It's not exactly difficult to install an HID, but you do need to find/make space for a ballast, ignitor, and relay harness. LED should be more-or-less a direct swap, no?
It is a direct swap. took me less than 5 minutes to change it out. The reason it took a whole 5 minutes was that I made sure the voltage regulator could be mounted safely and no interference with the housing or wiring within the bucket assembly.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Gowrench--we appreciate you telling us about this H4 Led and also your experience.
The led light does light up many reflectors better than incandescent light does.
When I added my three - 3 watt leds I also had a "wow" moment at night.
They work great in the daytime also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gowrench--we appreciate you telling us about this H4 Led and also your experience.
The led light does light up many reflectors better than incandescent light does.
When I added my three - 3 watt leds I also had a "wow" moment at night.
They work great in the daytime also.
Thanks. Just trying to offer another option.

I don't use my spotlights to light up the road as I installed the spot light to "light me up" for the cagers. it seems to me as if the pure white lights across the front of the bike, seem to help draw peoples attention. With the new lights, I don't have cars misjudging my speed as much, or the lights seem to freeze them as they actually see me coming down the road. LOL "deer in the headlights?"

TTYL

·
Registered
53 Posts
update

Photo shoot carried as requested. Will upload pics and distances in the am. And You all thought I forgot haha. Ttyl

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Photo shoot carried as requested. Will upload pics and distances in the am. And You all thought I forgot haha. Ttyl
Wrong!!! I thought you were riding day and night!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have hid for main headlight and like it, but my light bar lights are now really yellow, you said you replaced those with h3 lights? Do they require and additional wiring? And where did you get them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
12,629 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
update

Wrong!!! I thought you were riding day and night!!!
Actually I spent most of my weekend on my bike. All local riding, 3 tanks of fuel.

"I have hid for main headlight and like it, but my light bar lights are now really yellow, you said you replaced those with h3 lights? Do they require and additional wiring? And where did you get them? " Hans is correct. direct H3 replacement, plug and play.

So as for distances: The pictures are not of the best quality, however I think they are sufficient. The edge of the new black asphalt is 33 paces from the front of my bike. 33 of my paces would be equivalent to about 99 Feet. The edge distance to the grass line in the back of the picture is 46 paces =138Feet. The light pattern spread is about 10 paces = 30 feet.

Hope this helps, as I said b4, sorry for the lack of quality of the pictures.

Kind regards, Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Nick, thanks for the photos. Fresh black asphalt sucks every bit of of light produced. The only good thing about asphalt fresh asphalt is a smoother road and new reflective striping that helps immensely.
I see your beam to the grass and on the grass. I guess in the last pix the VTX is on a side stand and someone is in the target area. Looks like the led output will exceed the H4 spec, especially on high beam when both leds are on. I looked at the Petersen Manufacturing 7" led light that is DOT. Less lumens..
We will be seeing more of the "Afterburner" and other led headlights in the future.
Thanks again! Hans

41 - 55 of 55 Posts