Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions to follow:

Background:
A couple of soldiers in my unit ride full dresser HD's. They have what I guess you would call lower fairings installed on the engine/crash bars. Very nice looking, decent storage/speakers and seems to block some wind.

I've tried searching (guess I don't know what these are called) and haven't found anything.

Questions:
What are they called?
Are they only a Harley thing?
Does anyone make them for the VTX?
If so, what company's crash bars/engine guards work with them?
If not, do the Harley ones fit the VTX (with slight modification) like the Harley fairings do?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.v-twinmotorinn.com/shop/images/58830-88_large_1.jpg

Thanks for replying Mark, but no. What I'm trying to figure out is what the big plastic doohickey on the engine guard in the above picture is? And then all my ?'s.

Thanks - I know I was a little vague and didn't think about uploading a picture at first.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
retroxrider - wow nice find. Thanks for posting that site.

I'll try searching "hard lowers" and see what else is out there on the internet...hopefully in between all the XXX sites I'll find one or two for the VTX.

BadgerX - I agree they look interesting.

Anyone out there running a setup like them???

·
Registered
337 Posts
if you try them

Hey Rev7 if you decide to try a set would you please post your thoughts and some pictures. Definitely interested to see how the look and how well they are made. thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VTX18C - I would be glad too if I was doing it this year. I'm trying to plan out my 1300c conversion to fairing/hard bags etc. Really liked the lowers w/ speakers my CPT had on his full dresser HD. That's what got me thinking.

I've priced out doing the fairing and bags that I like so far and I'm in need of new bars with some rise and pullback to be comfortable in my new saddle (wife just got me an Ultimate Midrider).

I'll have to sell my kury engine guards and find some fatty's that will hold the HD style lowers. But that's why I'm starting now.

Was really hoping someone had started down this path already...

RobT - Let me know if you get anywhere with your experiments. Goodluck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've been looking for the same thing for the last 2 years. Will definitely be purchasing these this winter for my 1800 and the wife's 1300. Will surely add the finishing touch to the 1800. Price isn't bad either.

·
Registered
289 Posts
WOW. That is awesome. Unfortunately, they currently don't make them for the National Cycle bars.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I checked out the JTD website and am impressed with what looks like a fine product at a very competitive price. I use leather engine guards from Chilhowee Leather, when they wear out (if they ever do) I will consider the hard lowers. BTW, the leather guards have lasted for over five years and 70,000+ miles. The leather guards are unique and have stood up to severe weather and all temperature ranges, keep my feet and lower legs dry.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
As mentioned, the official name for these is "fairing lowers" and they are OEM on some grade Electraglides. They do an awesome job of keeping your feet & ankles warm & dry, and if equipped with glove boxes are great extra storage with a low center of gravity. The easiest way I've seen H-D ones mounted to Metric bikes is to mount them to the H-D engine guards they were designed for and adapt the entire assembly to the bike. That way the fitment to the guards is always perfect, and the metalwork to adapt them to the bike can be painted or powdercoated black to match the frame. Since you'll have to match the paint anyway, a good source is to pick up a left & right of any color(s) at swap meets since in a crash one is usually toast & the other is fine. The Harley ones are plastic, so don't expect to be able to do any major custom bodywork to adapt them structurally. At least one other company I've seen (Hawg Chops) makes a different version to fit Harley bars, might be adaptable to other bikes. Yamaha uses them on some bikes, cleverly using the "glove box" area for twin airboxes for the engine.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Shame these aren't gloss black, they'd at least match the fastest bikes. Don't see how they can be "universal" either, there's a gang of different guard configurations.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I spoke with John from JTD by email last night. His sight states they are not yet available for National Cycle bars. He sent me a sketch to use and I'm sending him all the measurements and he's going to try to come up with one that will fit. Then he'll send it to me for fitment on the bike. If that fails, I will ship him my bars for fitment. I'll keep everyone up to date on the progress

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
What bars are they supposed to be for? How much are they?

(I cant see the website here at work, and am interested in these.. I keep forgetting to look when I get home... hehe)

-Gonz

·
Registered
13,182 Posts

(I cant see the website here at work, and am interested in these.. I keep forgetting to look when I get home... hehe)

-Gonz
Gonz- just email yourself a link and check you email from home. Instant Memory! :D

·
Registered
351 Posts

-Gonz

I was wondering the same. In the pics it appears it's the whole setup, that is you bolt the bar/cover combo onto your frame, right? I couldn't find an application of "Fits Cobra Fats, etc..." Hmm... thoughts? What am I missing? Thanks :)!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Damn you retrox! Now Im gonna have to spend more money on my ride! :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts