21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i have them on the way and should see then in a day or so

·
Registered
303 Posts
I spoke with John from JTD by email this evening. I've sent him the measurements and pics of my National Cycle Bars. He's going to try to work up something that will fit in the next few weeks and ship them out to me for fitment on the bike.
He also stated that his lowers are styled similar to the classic Harley design. He's more than open to any requests or suggestions for future designs. Feel free to email him. Seems like a great guy to me so far. I will keep everyone updated on the progress being made on my lowers.
If successful with the 1800, I will try to get him to make some for the 1300 with Paladin Bars so I can keep the wife happy too!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow guys: way to take the ball and run with it! Can't wait to see photos of this.

Thanks again for replying with the info. Upper and lower fairings next year might be the winter project!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i have them now, but I'm having to do some custom cutting to make them work with the bars i have . no i don't know the name of the bars but will look it up and post it with some pic . john with jtd had the lower to me with in 3 days by fed ex :D

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I spoke with John from JTD by email this evening. I've sent him the measurements and pics of my National Cycle Bars. He's going to try to work up something that will fit in the next few weeks and ship them out to me for fitment on the bike.
He also stated that his lowers are styled similar to the classic Harley design. He's more than open to any requests or suggestions for future designs. Feel free to email him. Seems like a great guy to me so far. I will keep everyone updated on the progress being made on my lowers.
If successful with the 1800, I will try to get him to make some for the 1300 with Paladin Bars so I can keep the wife happy too!
I have the NC as well, and would surely be interested in these. I had no idea that any one had even tried this.
I read where modifying the HD was next to impossible.
Will be watching.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I already told the wife I want some for X-mas Hope they get them to fix the Palidin Bar by then or I will have to get a new Bar.:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Questions to follow:

Background:
A couple of soldiers in my unit ride full dresser HD's. They have what I guess you would call lower fairings installed on the engine/crash bars. Very nice looking, decent storage/speakers and seems to block some wind.

I've tried searching (guess I don't know what these are called) and haven't found anything.

Questions:
What are they called?
Are they only a Harley thing?
Does anyone make them for the VTX?
If so, what company's crash bars/engine guards work with them?
If not, do the Harley ones fit the VTX (with slight modification) like the Harley fairings do?

Thanks in advance...
They are called lower fairings as you said. While they look nice and the extra glove compartments in both are semi-convenient (you have to be at a stop to get to them), they aren't any more functional when it comes to weather-proofing the rider than leather chaps over regular engine guards.

The Harley touring bars are straight across at the top but are angled at the bottom downward from outside to inside fairly steeply. The bags are angled at the bottom to match the angle of the bars exactly. They bolt around the top bar and are secured to the bottom bar with a plastic loop/strap.

So, unless whatever bars you buy have the same angle, I don't see how they'd fit.

I had Kury and NC bars on my prev Hondas and none of them had a bottom angle like the Harley bars.

·
Registered
351 Posts
They are called lower fairings as you said. While they look nice and the extra glove compartments in both are semi-convenient (you have to be at a stop to get to them), they aren't any more functional when it comes to weather-proofing the rider than leather chaps over regular engine guards.

The Harley touring bars are straight across at the top but are angled at the bottom downward from outside to inside fairly steeply. The bags are angled at the bottom to match the angle of the bars exactly. They bolt around the top bar and are secured to the bottom bar with a plastic loop/strap.

So, unless whatever bars you buy have the same angle, I don't see how they'd fit.

I had Kury and NC bars on my prev Hondas and none of them had a bottom angle like the Harley bars.

I think I agree that it probably isn't much difference from the soft chaps that most folks have (including myself) regarding weather-proofing, but it appears there's a vent that can be opened that I sure wouldn't mind as I enjoy the wind protection for interstate riding but not the smoldering heat from the engine once I hit the city speed limits :)!

They'll likely be on the Christmas/Birthday list! Hopefully somebody with some Cobra Fatty bars can give some feedback, hopefully there's no "modding" necessary.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I think I agree that it probably isn't much difference from the soft chaps that most folks have (including myself) regarding weather-proofing, but it appears there's a vent that can be opened that I sure wouldn't mind as I enjoy the wind protection for interstate riding but not the smoldering heat from the engine once I hit the city speed limits :)!

They'll likely be on the Christmas/Birthday list! Hopefully somebody with some Cobra Fatty bars can give some feedback, hopefully there's no "modding" necessary.
Yes, with the newer lowers, they are vented. Mine are the older model; no vents.

My Harley guards are 1.25", not 1.5" like the Fatty Bars. You could use rubber spacers easily enough to make 'em fit. I just don't know from the pix if the lower bar of the Cobras is angled enough.

Why not go to your local H-D place and see if they have one you can try just for fitment?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Whoa - that looks nice! More Picts please when you get time. Thanks

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

...snip..
There's a big difference on the Harleys because they are air-cooled and the hard fairing lowers are more aerodynamic than the blunt soft chaps. On an H-D application, the soft engine guard chaps are only supposed to be used in weather below 50-60 degrees (can't remember) because they block so much cooling air in the center of the bike. The hard H-D lowers have a V-shape that directs some of the air towards the middle & some to the outside. Hard to say if it would have enough of an impact on a liquid-cooled bike like the X. Obviously it needs airflow through the radiator for cooling, but it's possible the fan kicking in would be enough on hot days if the motor started getting warm at speed. At lower speeds when the fan would be running anyway it's doubtful there'd be any problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lower Farings

Hey JDUCK, any chance we could get some more pictures and your thoughts on the product. (quality, workmanship, ease of install, service from vendor, etc.) Thanks:popcorn:

21 - 40 of 51 Posts