Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200 on my 1800C and would like to lower it a bit. How low can I go? Will 11.5 be too low? What shocks are people running. Most riding is 2-up.

Thanks in advance.
Brew

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
If you do a lot of 2 up, I'd stay with stock or at least 12 inch shocks(stock is 12.25 ) The shorter the shocks, the less travel they have to absorb the bumps, and thus the harsher the ride becomes. However, you can go to 11.5 inch without having the fender support rub. But all you have to do is cut off the little ears off the fender support to clear the tire.

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
I have run with 11.5" 440's two up on a 200 with No issues..

Now I have Air ride and can drop all the way and NOT rub.. Only One up thou..

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
...On my old 1300C, with a 200metz, I had my stock shocks modded to 11inches with the suggested setting at 3 for 2-up riding with absolutely NO problems at all. Per spike, make sure you shave off them bracket ears under the fender to avoid any tire/bracket/fender contact. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Here is my 2 cents worth. . . I'm built Low to the ground and solved the problem with putting a Car Tire (CT) on my 1800 R. I ride 2 up 90% of the time with Hard Bags, Pack, and tow a Trailer. My feet are on the the ground with no tire rubbing and stock shocks. The performance is outstanding and the traction of the CT is far better than any stock or non-stock M/C tire. I'm told that it is not for everyone, but, the first 15 mins. on the first ride made me ask Why did I wait so long. Comming up on 15,000 miles on the CT with well over 50% tread left and made the front Stock Dunnie last longer too.

The point I would make is that changing the shocks to Progressive Low Profiles cost a lot more than a tire that you will need anyway and the difference is that the Progressive Shorties, if you read other post on them, will likely fail before the CT wears out. It's not for everyone but it is worth thinking about. Im riding a Toyo Proxies T1R (ultra high proformance) .

Good luck

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a 200 on my 1800C and would like to lower it a bit. How low can I go? Will 11.5 be too low? What shocks are people running. Most riding is 2-up.

Thanks in advance.
Brew
I have a 02 1800C and 11-1/2" 440's. I ran a 200 Metzler with no clearance problems. I'm now running a 205/60 Potenza car tire and had to slightly grind down the left fender bracket. I am wild about my CT and will never go back to a MT.

Jack

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your feedback. I just bought the 200 so, I'm not planning to change to a CT any time soon or at all for that matter. I'm thinking the Progressives 11.5 will suit me just fine based on all the feedback. I will look under the fender to see what you are all referring to grind down. What am I looking for under the fender?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks all for your feedback. I just bought the 200 so, I'm not planning to change to a CT any time soon or at all for that matter. I'm thinking the Progressives 11.5 will suit me just fine based on all the feedback. I will look under the fender to see what you are all referring to grind down. What am I looking for under the fender?
The bracket inside the fender that holds the fender on. The very end of the brackets sometimes has to be ground down so the tire has clearance. You won't know for sure until you try to install the tire and wheel. Be sure to remove the dust ring and let the air out of the tire to get it past the final drive.

Jack

·
Registered
65 Posts
The bracket inside the fender that holds the fender on. The very end of the brackets sometimes has to be ground down so the tire has clearance. You won't know for sure until you try to install the tire and wheel. Be sure to remove the dust ring and let the air out of the tire to get it past the final drive.

Jack
You dont have to let the air out of the tire to get thet rim on and off. It takes alittle finagling to do, but it can be done. The only reason I say this is that a friend of mine let the air out of his(lost his patiance and let rubber get the best of him), and he debeaded the tire by accident. Couldnt get it to seat on the rim again. And everyone he knew was at laconia for bike week, including me. No shops open,+ I was not leaving the top of MT. Washington for stupidity, to help him out. Lets just say he bought a decent air compressor after that ordeal.:lol:

·
Registered
984 Posts
You dont have to let the air out of the tire to get thet rim on and off. It takes alittle finagling to do, but it can be done. The only reason I say this is that a friend of mine let the air out of his(lost his patiance and let rubber get the best of him), and he debeaded the tire by accident. Couldnt get it to seat on the rim again. And everyone he knew was at laconia for bike week, including me. No shops open,+ I was not leaving the top of MT. Washington for stupidity, to help him out. Lets just say he bought a decent air compressor after that ordeal.:lol:
It's pretty hard to to "debead" a tire by accident by just letting the air out unless the tire was recently installed.

Even with a decent compressor it is difficult, if not impossible, to get the beads to seat without expanding them. Have you ever heard of putting a rope around the tire and use a stick to twist it tight and expand tire bead on the rim? It's called being creative. A rachet strap or come-a-long will also do the job if available and assuming he was at home at the time and not out on the road.

Just a couple of thoughs.
Jack

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's pretty hard to to "debead" a tire by accident by just letting the air out unless the tire was recently installed. I do not see it as "stupidity" to help a friend out and commend you for your efforts.

Even with a decent compressor it is difficult to get the beads to seat with out expanding them. Have you ever heard of putting a rope around the tire and use a stick to twist it tight and expand tire bead on the rim? It's called being creative. A rachet strap or come-a-long will also do the job if available and assuming he was at home at the time and not out on the road.

Just a couple of thoughs.
Jack
Never heard of that one before. I,ll give it a try someday if I have a problem. As far as the stupity thing, and being a good friend, well you would have to know the guy to understand. Hes one of those guys that do nothing and expect everything in return, for nothing. So hes not so high on my priority level. I,m sorry, but I have no respect for people like that.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Where's that cool little diagram at?????:D To mod the fender rail by cutting the "ears" off is an easy mod. Anything shorter than stock will definately make the bumps harder though. More so riding 2up. Mine are stock cut to 11" which I'm sure is a harsher ride than progressives.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Never heard of that one before. I,ll give it a try someday if I have a problem. As far as the stupity thing, and being a good friend, well you would have to know the guy to understand. Hes one of those guys that do nothing and expect everything in return, for nothing. So hes not so high on my priority level. I,m sorry, but I have no respect for people like that.
If you notice in my post above, I removed my comment to you stating "I commend you for your efforts." Since you are resentful to help and have no "respect" for your "friend" I feel I may have offended you with my comment.

Jack

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for your input! I appreciate it as always.

Brew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts