Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ridin' an 05 F... just bought a luggage rack so I can hit the road this summer.

I already have a Kury "Tombstone" bag, and wanted to find another bag to haul more stuff. I noticed my luggage rack is rather small, I wanted to get a Kury "Grand Tour", but I think it may be to big for the luggage rack.

Any suggestion?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Make your own luggage rack.I made one for my C. I could not afford 1 to 200 bucks.It looks good and goes with the flow of my fender. :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I bought, tried and sold the Kury big bag.

I didn't like the shape or zippers.

Just bought a Nelson Rigs 600 series sissy bar bag.

It has a stiff bottom so it will sit on the luggage rack fine even though its wider.

I believe it to be just right.

cary

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
i have the Grantour on my 05F and really like it ...

just went with the rack (hate the backrest on an F)
and since the grantour has a backrest it can be used
by me or passenger depending on how its mounted.

e-mailled you a pic.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
You can bolt a larger metal or plywood platform on top
of the Honda luggage rack.
In the past I have used soft fabric ice coolers and
duffel bags bolted to the platform to carry stuff around
like a spare helmet and swimfins and towel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys...

Hey Coyote... I was thinking of taking some plexiglass and cutting out a piece to put under my tombstone while my wife is riding along with me.

Has anyone tried these...Kuryakyn Gran-Throwover Saddlebags.

Just wondering how easy to throw on and take off... don't want to have to get mounting brackets and all that stuff. ($179.99 at Hondadirectline)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
If you ride solo, I highly recommend the speedpak by bags connection. It keeps the weight low and has great volume. But it will take away the pax pillon.

Here is a pic of the speedpak on a sport bike. I use mine all the time. It is easy on/easy off.

It is available at www.twistedthrottle.com

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have the Nelson-Rigg CBT-600. It worked really well for me on several trips, including a week-long 2500 mile trip west through the mountains back in June. Lots of pockets on the outside make it really convenient for things like sunblock and other misc. stuff to have handy. I managed to stuff too much in the waterproof inner rain liner though and blew out a seam (I was too used to the compression stuff sack for my sleeping bag... the rain liner isn't meant for high compression). When I e-mailed them asking how to buy a replacement they asked me for my address and just sent me one free. This was a luggage set almost 2 years old and wasn't in warranty any longer.

Check them out!
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
rhinoj said:
Which size of this bag do you have for your 1800? Do you like it better than a mounted drivers backrest?
I have the XL. I've never had a mounted backrest but never cared much for them on bikes I've ridden that had them. This setup is infinitely adjustable which means I can get that lumbar support exactly where I want it. Very comfy.

Bob

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
bdunshee said:
Just got this, trying to make it work without a backrest and without scuffing paint on the fender
That could be difficult! I could see how it could work without a backrest, but the bungees have to attach somewhere and I'd think that could be a problem. With saddlebags and a rack it all works great.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tel you what, if youre ridin solo and want a nice backrest, gotta check out the Kury Tombstone Bag! The thing is awesome... straps on to the sissybar with velcro straps... the ridgid frame makes it very strong and durable.

I just know I'm gonna need more storage room than just the Tombstone.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
HairOnFire said:
bdunshee said:
Just got this, trying to make it work without a backrest and without scuffing paint on the fender
That could be difficult! I could see how it could work without a backrest, but the bungees have to attach somewhere and I'd think that could be a problem. With saddlebags and a rack it all works great.

I was trying to get too cute with the install. I'm just going front straps to the shock mounts and rear bungees to the turn signals and live with whatever scuffing happens or doesn't.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Kuryakyn Ultra Tour Bag

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=5630&str=11&ID=466463608 for $125 with free shipping.

Mount it on the passenger seat to your sissybar and it makes a good backrest. Also had many D rings to mounting an extra roll bag.

I bought this bag from HondaDirect for my Colorado trip.
I was able to pack a weeks worth of clothes with space left over.

The side pockets expand, I put 7 pairs of socks in one pocket and 7 pairs of boxers in the other side. 7 t-shirts and two pair of jeans in the man compartment. Along with my shaving kits, digital camera, and misc. stuff.
I was able to leave it at the hotel while riding during the day.

I packed my rainsuit, gloves, and jacket / liners in my leatherlykes.
I always care windshield cleaner and maps in the leatherlykes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.