Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several months I had been looking for a cruise control/throttle lock for the bike. I had read a few postings concerning the "Madco" Cam lock throttle lock.
Admittedly, one of the reasons I wanted it was because I was tired of fouling plugs on start up using the choke.
After looking up "Madcorider.com" (Motorcycle accessory design)" I looked at the cam lock, I also saw they had a "Cock and Lock" throttle control.
I called "Bill" in Imperial Beach, California, and talked to him about the pro's and con's of each setup.
settling on the Cock and Lock, Bill did something I couldn't believe...
He told me he was going to mail it out right then and that I was to send a check or money order.
I couldnt believe that I had found a buisnessman who did things the old way where trust was at the forfront of the buisness.
Well I fired off a check and watched the tracking number Bill had given me until it showed up on my door step.

Oh Joy!!! More things to put on the bike!!!

Well I fought with that thing and twisted it and turned the durn thing untill I was blue in the face...
I could not get the durn thing to let go of the throttle.

Desparate times require desparate measures.

I called Bill.

We discussed the reasons for my plight and he offered some solutions.
On his advice I inserted 2 #10 washer's in between the two halves of the Cock and Lock. The throttle was a bit looser but it was still binding the throttle. I inserted a second set of washers in between the halves and no there was no contact with the grip at all.

If it had worked I was to remove the cock and lock from the bike, re-insert the washers and tighten it down and send it back to Bill and he will machine a cock and lock specific for this bike.

Well now I was on the edge of no return. I got out the flashlight and really looked at the area of the "Start/Kill" switch housing and found that where it was binding was at the front edge of the housing where the two halves meet. The upper half was sticking out a 1/16 of an inch farther then the lower which was pulling the Cock and Lock up and holding the throttle open.

I followed Bill's instructions with caution.

I got out a file.

With every nerve in my body on edge, I started to file away the leading edge of the upper switch housing a bit where the Cock and lock rests.

There's no going back now..
I filed off about 1/32 of an inch and tried the Cock and Lock with out the washer spacers.
It felt better but there was still a bind in the release of the throttle.
I removed the Cock and Lock once more and filed away about another 1/32 of an inch and made the area smooth with no lip.

I re-re installed the Cock and Lock and found it to lock the throttle perfecly and it releases the throttle with no binding..

It holds the throttle perfectly and releases it on demand.

But the problem now it that it rattles like a tambourine when not engaged.
Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it??

Any suggestions??
I thought about lineing the Cock anmd Lock to switch housing surfaces with something but I have to be carefull that I dont take up the 1/32 of an inch of play I need for throttle release while at the same time not have a ringing rattle while I am riding.?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Ive had no problems with mine at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ditto. Mine worked fine once I installed it. Hopefully, the rattling will be easy to solve. Would some of type of felt buffer work since it can be compressed?

Good luck. Hope you get it solved.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine worked like a charm. It has rattled a time or two on me but all I do is push it back toward the kill switch a little and it stops.
Usually I don't notice it rattling as much as my *#$$ speedo. which I still am trying to resolve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just installed mine today. I did have to file the tang that goes between the throttle cable guides but it went in easy and works very well. Bill was OUTSTANDING to deal with!

·
Registered
907 Posts
cam lock

I installed the cam lock instead of the cock and lock by CAMCO. Reason was I was installing Kury grips at the same time. Mine went on with ease. No problems. You should have sent it back and got another one. Seems like the filing left it loose after being disengaged. Just my thought. Good luck on getting out the rattling noise.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I didn't have any problems with mine (still don't). I'm sure you can come up with something to quiet it down.

But I will SECOND the comments on MADCO and Bill. OUTSTANDING. When I ordered mine, I told him I was putting on the Kury ISO grips. He said I need to put the Cam Lock on at the same time. Asked when I was doing it, then he promptly shipped it out asking me to send a check. It arrived in time and I realized he had paid extra on the shipping/postage to get it to me in time and didn't charge me for it. He is a great person to do business with and has great products!!!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I agree that Bill is a great guy. I had a slight problem like yours, and Bill told me to look at the throttle body, just like you did. I filed a few rough edges off the stock throttle housing, and it worked like a charm. I've never had any problems with rattles.

Eddie

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Had the same experience with Bill. He mailed it out the day I mailed the check.

NEVER had that done before!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts