Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got another question.. does anyone have a reliable source stating if a VTX is made more in America than a Harley.. I heard that it is??? any comments? thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
good post i was always wondering about it myself.

I do know that they are assembled in Knoxville, TN.

Not sure where the parts come from though, but I would assume that that would be a valid question for harleys too...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes They are.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I was at the Columbus airport waiting on my wife to get here, I drooled at a display of a Rune and a 1800F. They had a pamplet that states:

the Marysville, OH plant alone (does not include the 2 car and the Anna, OH engine plant)produces the
Gold Wing 1800 with and without ABS
Shadow Spirit 1100
Valk Rune
VTX 1800 Cruiser and Retro
1300 Cruiser and Retro
Shadow Sabre 1100
TRX 450R

Production Capacity
150,000 motorcycles and all-terain vehicles per year
75,000 engines per year

Operations
Plastic injection molding
Frame assembly
testing
shipping and export
painting
engine assembly
QA
steel and aluminum frame welding

So it looks like mine is "Made in America"

Hawk

·
Registered
611 Posts
VTX Made In America

The VTX is manufactured, assembled, and painted in Ohio, using mostly American made parts and 100% American Labor!

Thats plenty Made In America for me!

Harley...well look for yourself at the label on their parts:

Need I say more? Haha!

RicksterVTX1300C

·
Registered
740 Posts
RicksterVTX1300C said:
VTX Made In America

The VTX is manufactured, assembled, and painted in Ohio, using mostly American made parts and 100% American Labor!

Thats plenty Made In America for me!

Harley...well look for yourself at the label on their parts:

Need I say more? Haha!

RicksterVTX1300C
I just sent this to all the VTX and Harley people I know, man the Harley boys sure are sensitive about it! :lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
?Harley made in USA

But I heard that many Harley parts are not made in the USA. If this is true, then I wonder what percentage of Harley parts are made and assembled here in the good ol' USA. Just so I can say something back to my Harley friends.

·
Super Moderator
63,772 Posts
Many, many, many threads on this question. Yes the X is made& assembled in Ohio. Engine and internal parts, wheels are cast in Ohio. Electronics are not nor are the HD electronics. HD uses Showa forks&shocks, a copmpany owned by Honda. HD has a few other parts made by a Honda company. 8)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
Many, many, many threads on this question. Yes the X is made& assembled in Ohio. Engine and internal parts, wheels are cast in Ohio. Electronics are not nor are the HD electronics. HD uses Showa forks&shocks, a copmpany owned by Honda. HD has a few other parts made by a Honda company. 8)
So carbs, electronics, shocks and forks so-far are made in Japan for Harley. Veeery interseting.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
And Harley is a American company and Honda is a Japanese company.We ride a Japanese bike. Glad Honda is using American labor but we all ride a "Jap" bike.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
This is a quote from the link posted by mike149
The only thing truely American about Harley Davidson is using marketing lies and non-sense to sell a product and the fat, lazy, smelly slobs who ride them.
I don't care who you are, that's funny.

·
Super Moderator
63,772 Posts
SicTexVTX said:
And Harley is a American company and Honda is a Japanese company.
Not true, HD is not an American comp anymore. When it went public and offered it's company to stockholders it became an International company with prfits going around the world to it's shareholders. 8)

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is from the link above, thought I'd just cut to the chase...

Harley Davidson motorcycles are made in the U.S.A.

Hehe... Sure. It's impossible for a motorcycle to be made in the U.S.A. All the resources simply don't exist! The majority of the resources have to be imported, everything from crude oil (to make the tires (Dunlop - Japan)) to the raw metal (imported from Tawain where enviromental law are not as restricted). The engine cases may be machined in the U.S.A, but if you look closely, the machine used is Japanese! Most semi-conductors are made in Malaysia (referenced to a patent by an Israeli). Harley Davidson even admits uses non-US parts when it is not feasible to get them in the United States! Alot of products that appear to be "Made in the U.S.A." are really only assembled in the U.S.A. from foreign parts.

Harley Davidson stock forks are also made by Showa, and Honda is part owner of that company. Which is irrelavant, considering Honda has just as many American employees as non-American employees. Most of the non-American parts on a Harley Davidson are German, British or Italian. The "dress up" parts are made in Taiwan. Electrical systems are mostly Nippon (Japan).

The only thing truely American about Harley Davidson is using marketing lies and non-sense to sell a product and the people who ride them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I work for a Japanese owned company in Kentucky. We make all of the radiators and oil coolers for Honda in the U.S and Europe from this plant.

The fact of the matter is that no bikes or similar machines are built in one place. Parts for these products are sourced from all around the world. About 90% of our product is made here in Ky. from raw material to finished unit.

More and more everyone is having to source in China. Its a matter of money.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey, what about us fat, lazy, slobs on Hondas?

My 1990 Electra Glide Sport had Showa forks and shocks, Nippon Denso electronics, Nippon Denso alternator and starter, Keihin carburetor, Yuasa battery, and a few other Japanese parts.

I moved to a Moto Guzzi (also sold by the HD dealer). When I got any crap from the Harley folks, I proudly pointed out that the Guzzi had nothing Made in Japan on it, unlike their bikes. Course, to do that I had to replce the highly visible spark plug terminals, which had a big NGK on them.

Besides, in 2 or 3 years, Harleys AND Hondas will probably be MADE IN CHINA. Isn't everything else?

My Navy son in Sasebo sent me a copper statue of a Harley--Or at least what Japanese artists think a Harley is. The carbs (2!) are on the exhaust pipes!!!

This "Japanese" artwork of an "American Classic" was MADE IN CHINA.

·
Super Moderator
63,772 Posts
Re: Hey, what about us fat, lazy, slobs on Hondas?

Bouxdaddy said:
Besides, in 2 or 3 years, Harleys AND Hondas will probably be MADE IN CHINA. Isn't everything else?
Honda isn't leaving Ohio, they have thousands of acres of land there and they are constantly adding huge multi-million square foot plants to make more and more cars and bikes. 8)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sure!

But they could very well start "outsourcing" parts to China tomorrow.

I bought some drawer glides at Home Depot for a cabinet I built. $4.95. Worked great. Made in Michigan. By AMERICANS! Decided to replace some older ones that came with the house. About 3 months later. Same brand now Made in China. New drawer glides were $6.95. Pieces of crap. Flimsy, painted (poorly) instead of powder coated. Holes misdrilled--mounting screws fell right through holes. So, I paid $2 + cost of larger screws for the privilege of some inferior MADE IN CHINA junk.

Dontchajusluvit?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts