Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and researching all over this board, I took some ideas and made me some lowers. I need to get the edges beveled, but I'm pretty pleased with them. I can't believe how much difference it made in the buffeting I was experiencing. There's still some breeze, of course, but my head no longer feels like it's in a popcorn machine.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I get the same thing with my MS fats windsheild.

How about some details as to how you made them, and where you got everything?

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Thos lowers look as ncie as anything you can buyt. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Materials (all from Lowes):

2 sheets of 10" X 10" Lexan
4 #40 stainless steel hose clamps
4 1/4" X 1/2" long stainless steel hex bolts and lock washers
4 rubber washers
3 ft long piece of angle aluminum
scrap rubber to use behind clamps

I drew out my design on a piece of paper and then traced it on the Lexan. I used a jigsaw to cut it. I cut two 6" pieces of aluminum with a hacksaw and drilled 1/4" holes in it for the bolts. I also used a Dremel tool to cut small grooves in the angle of the aluminum pieces for the clamps to go through. I used a 1/4" glass cutting drill bit to cut holes in the Lexan, but a regular bit may work just as well. I didn't want to chance cracking it. I attached the lowers to the angle aluminum and the glued a strip of rubber to the part of the aluminum that rests against the forks. I glued small strips of rubber to the inside of the clamps and then attached the lowers to the forks using the clamps.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Good job dminyard....You can go to a tool supplier and buy whats called a chamfering tool to bevel the edges and then use a small torch to polish the edges. The lowers look good tho. I bought mine at the Kickstand here in Jackson for $86.

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
I thought I smelled C.R.A.P. :thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Those are sweeeeet. You can also polish that aluminum, angle for a chrome look and put some chrome tape over the clamps. I think I need to make some of these. Nice, Clean, cheap and simple.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds great, I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

So what did everything cost around?

I believe all together I spent about $25 on the materials. Pretty cheap mod, but worth so much more in what it accomplishes. I'll have to check on that beveling tool and the chrome tape. That would make them look really good.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lexan is the good stuff right? How do they hold up at highway speeds and/or buffeting winds? Looks good, gotta try that!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lexan is a good choice, because it will not shatter like plexus glass.

Correct me if I'm wrong
That is what I've heard, slightly more expensive (like 40% more) but worth it. Just called Lowe's and they said Lexan is the way to go for safety for sure! Just FYI

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That is what I've heard, slightly more expensive (like 40% more) but worth it. Just called Lowe's and they said Lexan is the way to go for safety for sure! Just FYI

10/4, I'm going to go this route also.

I heard the Plexi-glass will shatter, and the Lexan will not, so like you said, thats a big saftey issue.

Post some pics when your done also, we would love to see them

·
Registered
370 Posts
Will do!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
You did a really good job hiding the rubber under the clamps. I was gonna suggest that until I read your second post. You can't even tell it's there in the pics. Good job!

·
Registered
77 Posts
One thing you fellas may want to consider that have the mephis setup is using the quick disconect bolt/brackets for your mounts. I've had these on the past 2 or 3 seasons and have hadreal nice luck with them. I used 1/8" aluminum for the brackets, stainless button head cap srews for bolts. The local hardware happend to have some nice soft plastic covers to go over the Nylocs to protect the tank. I used 1/4" lexan for the rest.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The next time that you come up with something so smart. SELL IT !!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I still havn't done this mod yet.

I been wanting to do this, but just installed a fairing etc

Now It looks like I have somthing to start this weekend :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts