Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing the magnet? The final drive drain plug has a hole in the end like where a magnet should be. Bought the bike a year ago, just getting around to changing the final drive oil, went to clean it off, had sludge on the end, and it kept going into the bolt end, took a wire an dug out the sludge (or moly paste) stained my fingers like moly. Any way, was wondering if this how it is supposed to be or do I need to start taking things apart to see if the magnet is inside the housing.
Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
It is moly and there is no magnet on the drain plug.

Honda saving a nickel at a time..
Look at ICM wires, too short on the Black and Green wires most forward on the ICM connector and many break from the stress and vibration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is moly and there is no magnet on the drain plug.

Honda saving a nickel at a time..
Look at ICM wires, too short on the Black and Green wires most forward on the ICM connector and many break from the stress and vibration.
So was there a magnet? Or do you think I should tear into the housing to see if it fell out? Until now I would have no reason to think there is any debris rattling around inside.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Google this> "vtxoa: magnetic drain plug"
No magnets on VTX drain plugs. People wanted them and magnets on the oil filter.

My 850 Yamaha final drive had a magnet, it looked like a growth on the end of the magnet.
My first oil change.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
there is no magnet On any drain plugs on the bike...pay attention to Han’s he knows his chit...good luck

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
magnet fad.. was passing

most car transmission oil pans no longer have magnet's as well ...
or transmission oil dip sticks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts