Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have a few simple hand tools, and access to a welder, you can make a down under bracket on the cheap. All you really need is a drill, hack-saw, access to a welder, 17" X 1/4" X 1-1/2" flat steel and a couple bolts and a nut.
I thought I would like to share the blue print with all my vtx friends.
You can substitute the 7/16' bar stock in the blue print with 1/4" X 1-1/2" flat steel stock, you only need 17" of it. Most 1/4" flat is just under 1/4" so by welding the two together you will stay under 1/2" which on many bikes will not fit. Cut it at 9-1/4" and butt two ends together and weld the sides and ends. Drill your pilot holes as to the specs in the blue print, then finish drill the holes to 9/16". At the opposite end of the step, (the thick end) you can either weld in a 9/16'' bolt or a 9/16 dow pin. Only 3/4" of the stop bolt or dow should protrude from the bracket.
You will need to purchase the other nut and bolt listed on the blue print, follow the instructions and you will be good to go. Now you can add fender skirts, or just have a cleaner look to the rear tire. Good luck to all who wish to make their own.

EDIT: The drawing is the original blue print, and you will need to substitute the 21/32" hole for a 9/16" hole.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
thanks papa, i'm gonna make 2 of them one for my 1300c and one for my sons 1800c . let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I think it is really cool that you would post it for everyone. :thumbup::thumbup:

Maybe it's what everyone that has an idea stolen should do too.;) :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I think it is really cool that you would post it for everyone. :thumbup::thumbup:

Maybe it's what everyone that has an idea stolen should do too.;) :twisted: :lol:
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just like state farm Ins. I want to be a good neighbor :D:thumbup: Little more to it then that, but I will leave it like that 8)

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Just like state farm Ins. I want to be a good neighbor :D:thumbup: Little more to it then that, but I will leave it like that 8)
That's admirable.8) Your a good man, from what I have seen.

·
Registered
107 Posts
:thumbup: I like it..just not sure I could make it right...or maybe I'm just a lil confused but I love the look..Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
WOW! What a great thing to do. (Post)
I still haven't installed the one I bought from you.
When I do (this winter) I will post before and after pics.

I was thinking of making a couple of these for Bullys get together next JUNE but didn't want to infringe on your product.
Now that you have revealed your trade secret ;) I might just do it If thats ok with you.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW! What a great thing to do. (Post)
I still haven't installed the one I bought from you.
When I do (this winter) I will post before and after pics.

I was thinking of making a couple of these for Bullys get together next JUNE but didn't want to infringe on your product.
Now that you have revealed your trade secret ;) I might just do it If thats ok with you.
Sounds like a nice thing to do.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the very first one I made out of two pieces of 1/4" X 1-1/2" steel with a nut welded to the end to screw the stop bolt into. It worked great, but a little tacking looking, but it is another option for anyone wanting to do their own.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts