Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've ridden motorcycles for any length of time, you've probably had a car driver pull out or turn left in front of you, causing a near-wreck. This is by far the number one cause of bike/vehicle wrecks, many of them fatal. To make SURE they see me coming, I've installed bright amber automotive-type LED clusters to the windshield of my '04 VTX 1300C. They came with a controller that allows me to choose on/off, unison flashing, wig-wag flashing, or what I call frenzy flashing. They seem to work very well, and I use them whenever there's any likelihood of car drivers not paying enough attention to me. We're all conditioned to regard amber flashers as warning or cautionary signals, and I want to trigger that conditioning in drivers so they'll hesitate to pull out or turn left when they shouldn't.

IMG_2883 copy.jpg

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
A photo of those lights on during both daylight and darkness conditions would be good. I equip all of my bikes with auxiliary lights, both front and rear and sometimes on the sides. I had a fellow cut out in front of me the other day and was riding a bright yellow bike with an auxiliary HID headlight as well as the OEM headlight. I was wearing a fluorescent riding jacket. He was very surprised with I sounded my horn. It wasn't a close call because I anticipated what he did. I have very few people pull out in front of me when I ride my Gold Wings. I suspect that the large frontal area along with the driving lights makes the bike more "imposing", than my VTXs.

Where did you get those lights?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(legality?)

It's a concern I had, too. I checked with the North Carolina Highway Patrol before I did this, and they thought it was a good idea. Can't find anything in any nearby state statutes that says it ain't allowed. You can't use blue lights, of course, because they're for the law only; and fire, ambulance, and rescue vehicles use flashing red and white, but amber flashers are used by logging trucks and delivery vehicles in my area, for examples. I've been using them for three months now and no law has questioned them. I do get lots of double-takes from riders coming the other way, and I think other bikers instantly recognize the potential value of the lights.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
(legality?)

It's a concern I had, too. I checked with the North Carolina Highway Patrol before I did this, and they thought it was a good idea. Can't find anything in any nearby state statutes that says it ain't allowed. You can't use blue lights, of course, because they're for the law only; and fire, ambulance, and rescue vehicles use flashing red and white, but amber flashers are used by logging trucks and delivery vehicles in my area, for examples. I've been using them for three months now and no law has questioned them. I do get lots of double-takes from riders coming the other way, and I think other bikers instantly recognize the potential value of the lights.
That must vary from state to state. I consulted several Pa. LEO's about my "blues", incl. behind my w/s. It's OK in Pa. as long as they -DON'T- flash! Mine are strictly solid blue. Several years ago, a local friend of mine, who was the assistant fire chief of my local VFD, was going to the Outer Banks, NC. He was stopped by the NC police because he had blue roof lights on his pickup (that weren't turned on). The LEO told him he was not authorized to have them on his vehicle because he was registered in Pa. If he didn't voluntarily remove them, he would be arrested and fined heavily. Needless to say, he complied with the LEO.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Can you provide a link to where you got these, or at least give us a brand and part number? Great idea.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I consulted several Pa. LEO's about my "blues",

Blues & Reds are illegal pretty much anywhere if your not a LEO of some sort. However, ambers have no real illegal limits like the reds & blues. The ambers are used everywhere by the common citizen/worker. You should have no issues with the ambers unless a LEO just had a bad day that he/she wants to share with you...:p

·
Registered
760 Posts
I normally flash my hi-beam at potential cars that may cross my path, but I love the yellow strobe idea. I was thinking about putting white strobe LED but the yellow I think maybe more noticeable.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Check your State Laws before you jump...
Retired Leo in Calif then 7 yr OTR truck driver..
All States have diff laws on lights....
Many States you can not drive with Hazards flashing, some States you can if your going slower and are a hazard!!! ???
IN Calif - red and amber to rear and White & Amber to front Only.
No flashing - steady light only, Except turn signal during a turn.....
No unauthorized lighting at all, (like those colored lights under fenders etc).

But I agree - anything that makes you more visible on a bike is needed and welcomed..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(reply to photo request, Gold Wings, light source)

IMG_2855 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2863 copy.jpg

Difficult (at least for me with my limited photo skills) to get operating photos that do the lights justice, but I can tell you they're plenty bright and really demand attention. Yes, I think the Gold Wing is much better lighted all around than most bikes, which certainly helps make that model a lot safer. Many other bikes are woefully under-lighted from the factory, in my opinion.

I used to blame bone-headed vehicle drivers for pulling out, but I think it's in part, at least, the fact that it's really tough for most drivers to judge a bike's true oncoming speed or distance away. This is because a bike's size, relatively small to begin with, is not increasing in anything like the same proportion as an oncoming vehicle. In other words, a ten percent increase, say, in the size of an oncoming car is easily perceptible, while a ten percent size increase in an oncoming motorcycle is very hard to perceive.

I bought the lights at my local auto parts store. Sold as Alpena Twin Strobz. They're also available online. I made my own mounting bracket from PVC pipe and some stainless hardware. The controller comes with a strong double-sided mounting tape, and I located that on top of my chromed brake master cylinder cap. Wiring was a cinch.

The lights should also work well mounted on handlebars or engine guards. Just probably need to mount them in a position where one of them cannot be eclipsed by the front wheel, so nobody would ever be likely to mistake the other, unobstructed light, for a turn signal.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I am all for extra lighting but I saw one MC a few weeks that had worklights above the handlebar.
Blinded the crap out of me.
All my white leds have downward tilt and also can be dimmed.
Yellow(amber) is probably a better choice because it seems to stand out better.
Good to be seen!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The amber LEDs aren't rudely (or dangerously) blinding, but they sure do get attention. And I know for sure they're working. On several occasions, I've come up on car drivers who actually have well more than enough time to pull out, but they wait until I get safely past them to do so.

Back in the day, when it was first mandated that bikes must have headlights on at all times, we tended to stand out. But today, many cars have automatic driving lights on and many drivers burn their headlights all the time, so we no longer tend to stand out by our headlights alone. I think forward amber flashers can help a lot nowadays.

There are, of course, other things we can do to be seen. I also have a Back Off tail light flasher installed, and I wear white, which is not only far more visible, especially in twilight or at night, but is also much cooler in summer weather. (A simple test: rest your hand on a black car in summer sunlight for a minute or so. Now rest your other, unblistered hand on a white car. You could comfortably leave it there all day, provided it's not somebody's restored '63 Corvette at a classic car show.)

black MC attire.jpg IMG_2872 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been running this set up for several years with no incidents. I talked to local LEO and he said blue is not a good idea. Red is ok as long as its not forward facing and or flashing. On the front I run a light bar and installed a modulator in headlight. The headlight modulator will really get you noticed and is legal in all 50 states. Also currently I am running amber leds on forward floorboards and will change out rear ones soon.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I almost bought a blue/red driving lights police light bar off ebay until I checked. Even just lit up and not flashing, you can bet cagers would be pulling out of the way. Glad I waited and got what I did; just as distinctive and legal.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I normally flash my hi-beam at potential cars that may cross my path, but I love the yellow strobe idea. I was thinking about putting white strobe LED but the yellow I think maybe more noticeable.
I did that once and the A-Hole took that as "go ahead and turn". Almost killed me!:evil:

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you've ridden motorcycles for any length of time, you've probably had a car driver pull out or turn left in front of you, causing a near-wreck. This is by far the number one cause of bike/vehicle wrecks, many of them fatal. To make SURE they see me coming, I've installed bright amber automotive-type LED clusters to the windshield of my '04 VTX 1300C. They came with a controller that allows me to choose on/off, unison flashing, wig-wag flashing, or what I call frenzy flashing. They seem to work very well, and I use them whenever there's any likelihood of car drivers not paying enough attention to me. We're all conditioned to regard amber flashers as warning or cautionary signals, and I want to trigger that conditioning in drivers so they'll hesitate to pull out or turn left when they shouldn't.

View attachment 54775
I agree you need to be seen. Sooo I did this

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I agree you need to be seen. Sooo I did this
The proper term for those under the tank, engine, fender lights (to the best of my knowledge) are called 'Parade Lights' and not legal anywhere to be on when driving on the streets, non DOT on top of that. Not the same as Gold Wings being lit up like moving Christmas trees!

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Anything that flashes in an alternating fashion like that, especially if it's a "frenzy flash" type pattern eventually will lead to LEO problems.

The amber lights are to be used as a warning in most states. . . what do wreckers, plow trucks, and over sized load vehicles all have in common? They are doing things that require you to know "SOMETHING HAPPENING HERE".

I know in Maine, if you are a private snow plow driver you are required by state law to have a flashing amber warning light. . . I also know that if you drive around from one job to the next with that same light flashing it's titled "illegal use of warning device" or something of that nature.

I guess the bottom line here is every place is going to be a little different in how they approach things like this. What might be OK in your local area might land you a hefty fine elsewhere. IMO: there are better ways to stay safe on a MC that don't require flashing lights. The basics.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
I've installed bright amber automotive-type LED clusters
View attachment 54775
Cluster Types are the lowest level Lumen output made.

Real warning LED - as used on Highway Equip - that blind you when a dump truck is a block ahead -
Usually 3 LED each head units are $60 each - can be synced together - made by Whalen.
I use them on the Cat equip to keeps cars at rush hr from getting into my cab at 50mph when I need to be on the street.

The High BEams are the Best Defense -
Flashing them until a full response is given - or I never let up.

No One is suddenly crossing lanes coming at you - to put themselves at risk of a semi meeting them head-on -
just because of a high-beam flash - or we'd all be dead - every hr.

Park your unit 1000 ft away - turn around and look at LED's vs highbeam - who wins.
So don't bank on the low level LED's as defense.
The fact anything flashes - gets attention - but they have to be looking that direction.

Pulsed on demand Focused LED's, powerful defense. But it has to hurt looking at them.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
was it here or the other page i watch that had a thread about a leo and headlights that changed? He didn't like it

that said.... if you ride in a traffic area....:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts