Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, new poster. Great place for expensive information, thank you for your time.

Love my bike, 02 1800C, runs great and strong. I have adjusted the valves since I bought it (twice) because I was unsure of the upper engine noise. I have since become used to it and have no issue with the sound.

The sound I am describing has been mentioned rarely in other threads but it sounds like pebbles or marbles are being shot around randomly in the lower left front of my engine. This only occurs during hard acceleration, not normal riding, not start up, not during cool mornings, usually after work in Texas heat. And only during hard pulls in upper RPMs, it does not sound like valve tapping and it is not consistent (ticka- ticka -ticka) it really sounds like a marble or pebble is resting on a corner and then when I accelerate hard the pebble bumps lose and starts banging around, not consistently either and sometimes I cannot reproduce the effect.

It really does not seem to manifest itself when it is cool out, but almost always after work.

Ride 8 days a week, new Mobil 1 20-50 synthetic, new coolant, new plugs, new battery, clean air filter, 87 octane, ground fix (all), pair valve removal, air box mod, 2 into 1 stock headers with mod racing pipe (looks stock) and a few loose marbles.

·
Registered
239 Posts
could be some spark knock also called ping you might try a tank of plus or super and see if it goes away some times with hi amounts of ethenol or methenol can cause regular 87 octane to act more like a lower octane fuel

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
It very well may not be the engine.
Known rattles are head light, inside.
Dash Panel.
Remove tank mount bolt, then pound shake the tank to test noise.
Vibrate head light as well for test.

I had video camera mounted on side of tank all week,
and I was getting very odd noise when reviewed if under power,
but silent coasting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
marbles

i have a similar sound in my rear jug. When the engine is hot and at idle, sounds like a nut or something rattling around inside. But only during idle when hot. Not sure what it is but I know there isn't any loose nuts in there. It seems rather common as I have seen it mentioned here before. I have just accepted it and don't worry about it any more.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
What you're describing sounds like some degree of detonation/pre ignition. If you have access to a bore scope, pull the shallow plugs on both cylinders and have a look at the combustion chambers. Carbon deposits take up space and increase compression pressures. Sometimes to the point where they can cause detonation. Carbon can also become red hot, acting as an ignition source before the spark plug fires. If no bore scope, fill tank with with 3 oz. Marvel Mystery Oil and Hi Test fuel, run your regular routine. Do this for three tankfuls, on the third tank really get on it when it's good and hot. See if the noise has disappeared. MMO does a good job of clearing the carbon out of the combustion chambers. If no change, then you'll have to look elsewhere for the source of your abnormal noise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MMO and Hi test fuel...check

Thanks for all the replys guys, (sweet bike Philscbx). I have tried the higher octane and understood it could cause fouling in the '02 models because they are prone to fouling as is, running the Bosch Platinum 4418 plugs and the ones they replaced seemed pretty bad.

It just does not sound like a high ping or a knock or external vibration (headlight or dash housing), it really sounds like metal - sortof...

After reading a lot I think it may be the decompressor bumping around and clacking during hard pulls (front jug). I tried it again this morning but it refuses to show up in the mornings and the bike had warmed up pretty good.

I have grown used to it but just wanted to visualize the components making the sound for peace of mind.

Blast, I am going to try the Marvel Mystery Oil, during my valve adjustment I took a peek and it did seem pretty dirty in the chamber with the plugs removed. Let you guys know what I find, thanks again!8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
marbles

Yep. My 03 1800C does the exact same thing. I switched from low octane to mid grade and it almost went away. I haven't tried the high octane; it might go away altogether.
If it was valve adjustment it would tend to do it cold or hot, at almost any RPM.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
try mid grade fuel

I am going to try the Marvel Mystery Oil first to clean out the chamber but I might also try the mid grade octane as well. I did notice going to the heavier 20-50 synthetic reduced the frequency of the sound, and shifting is so much more quiet now...Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
By the way; thanks, I was out riding and now very alert to any odd noise
from the motor.
I heard one from the front cyl, and examined the pipe connection:
One stud had lost the nut, and the other was VERY LOOSE.
I got a new nut out and replaced the missing one and switched out the
other for a VW 12mm nut with copper with locking sections on them.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
By the way; thanks, I was out riding and now very alert to any odd noise
from the motor.
I heard one from the front cyl, and examined the pipe connection:
One stud had lost the nut, and the other was VERY LOOSE.
I got a new nut out and replaced the missing one and switched out the
other for a VW 12mm nut with copper with locking sections on them.
any else interested :

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC000803.html

BETTER DEAL:
http://www.vwvanagonparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VWVanagonParts&Product_Code=059129601&Category_Code=vanagon-diesel-exhaust

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am going to try the Marvel Mystery Oil first to clean out the chamber but I might also try the mid grade octane as well. I did notice going to the heavier 20-50 synthetic reduced the frequency of the sound, and shifting is so much more quiet now...Thanks for the tip![/QUOTE

I have the same problem this hot summer and it kept getting worse, even in lower gears under heavy load. So, I researched and found out carbon build up can cause it. 93 octane eliminated the problem but I've always used 87 with no ping before. So, like Blast sugested i've been running Marvel MO The last 2 tanks and redlined often. I also read, hot weather and too hot of air streaming into the cumbustion chamber can cause pinging and marble noises during hard exceleration. so I removed the snorkle tube in the air box which was funneling hot air from the engine to the filter. Now is runs better and no pinging but it is only in the 60's right now. I have 67 k miles on the bike and do alot of low throttle riding.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sounds like a build up

I agree with Blast. Sounds like you have a layer of buildup.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
loose exhaust

Thanks for the tip Speedsville, my father owned a Harley so I am used to checking nuts and bolts for movement. The exhaust was nice and tight the other day so I'm certain that is not it even thought they tend to back off over time so it is critical to check.

I think from what I am hearing higher octane and some Marvel Mystery Oil should really help clean out the top. Has anyone used Lucas oil in their fuel before, I have used it in the past trying to improve mileage...

V-force, during the pair removal I yanked the snorkal off of the air box as well as the flapper and housing. After the ground fix and air box mod I had a huge surge in performance compared to when I bought it and it pulled like a freight train then too! Thanks again for your time guys8)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I started using Lucas a few years ago in cars and bike with good results but I think MMO works as good. I poured 1-1/2 ounce of each in the last tank just for good measure.
When I desmoged years ago for some reason I left the snorkel in. Since I removed it a few days ago I notice stronger aceleration and much less popping. I wish I had removed it originally. My bike has a noticable improvement in pulling power now.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
If in fact build up, and one could easily roll the piston up to view.
Adding oils to fuel is more for the sticking components, rings, valves.

Build up, needs to be blasted out, running hard down the road.
Adding fuel cleaners help, Techron, Isopropyl, etc.
Excessive lugging helps build up in any engine.
Good Luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Marvel Mystery Oil

Blast and V-Force, the Marvel Mystery Oil worked. I really thought it was something else making all the racket and clatter, but after running a single tank of 93 octane and about 1.5 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil all of the pinging is gone, it refuses to show up at all and I did not think my bike could run any better but it is...makes me wonder how this thing ran brand new. It runs so much better now I am very surprised, thanks again for the tip I have added some to my wifes car too, added response to the throttle. Thanks again!:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts