Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I went and helped a friend clean out his garage and he had no use for a gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil he had on the shelf. Instead of tossing it in the garbage, I kept it.

I did a search on the stuff and previous posts going back 10 yrs+ indicate it is ok to use an ounce or so in the fuel mixture to clean out any sludge and perhaps increase fuel mileage.

So the question is: Now it is 10 years later from the posts that I read, for those who would have experience with the stuff.. Is it still ok to mix with gas? and does it work or do any harm?

Q 2 is: Can it be used as an additive to the engine oil or rear differential oil? I did not see any thing about that in the search.

Thanks.

·
Old Goat
25,806 Posts
I cant add anything other than to say My uncle managed a cotton farm back in the day and that was there go to lube....we put in our BB guns thinking it gave them more power...lol...good luck

Reactions: 10Ring

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
My knowledge of the stuff is as a lubricant too. Many years ago, my best man's Dad, a lifelong heavy equipment mechanic/ operator, swore by the stuff. Especially a squirt or 2 down the spark plug holes of engines that either had sat for awhile prior to starting, or as a preventive for long idle periods.

Reactions: 10Ring

·
Super Moderator
64,114 Posts
It's still Snake oil and always will be. Will it clean out your carbs? Maybe a little, but it wasn't made for that so how good could it possibly be? Techron was made to clean out fuel deposits from carbs and EFI and it does a fantastic job of that so much so vehicle manufacturers actually recommend it to do that job, like Honda. I wouldn't care if I got a gallon of something called "Mystery", I wouldn't put it in my engines or fuel tanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The only thing Marvel Mystery Oil is good for is lubing Iron Man when he's chasing Miss Potts. ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would only use a little in fuel. Put it in oil once aND seemed to make it shift sticky. It breaks down carbon, and also lubricity of oil. Maby in crankcase right before an oil change.

·
Old Goat
25,806 Posts
The only thing Marvel Mystery Oil is good for is lubing Iron Man when he's chasing Miss Potts. ;)
I would pay a $1 to see that...lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've put it in the X once, maybe an ounce to a full tank. Did not hurt and don't know if it helped. Techtron is my go to for gas, at least it has been tested.
Kind of what I was thinkin, most of the additives these days are application specific. Mystery oil is seems to be kind of a "catch all - do all". I just didn't want to see it go into the landfill, so I rescued it. I will find something to do with it.

Thx for the responses.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I wouldn't throw it away because it smells so good. I suspect that you can use it as a general lubricant, sort of like WD-40. I wouldn't use it in my engine. It probably would work as a lubricant for cutting aluminum.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I worked in a cycle shop in the early 80's that was 20 miles to the nearest (populated) town. Every now and then, a brand new bike would simply lock up before it made it that 20 miles of highway. Let it cool down, and it would be OK.

One day, a traveling salesman came by the shop and said that he had "just the thing" that would prevent this from happening ever again. Well, the boss bought a case of Marvel Mystery oil from him, and from then on, we put a few cap fulls of Marvel Mystery oil into the gas tank before sending a new bike out the door. We never had that issue again.

I suspect that an ounce of 2-stroke oil might have had the same effect. Who knows.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
It's a pret good solvent. Should not be required in a FI engine. I use it for soaking carb parts. Dissolves carbon really well. I don't think a couple ounces in a tank of fuel will ever hurt anything. Specially older carbureted fuel systems. I would not put it in my engine oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Been a Diesel Mechanic for 45 years and have always Used Marvel Mystery Oil, I have seen people use it for many different things, But it is NOT an Additive , it's intended purpose has been and always will be as a Penetrating Oil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts