Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm at a loss for figuring this one out. Friend of mine brought his trike to me, said the bike starts running rough after a few minutes ride, stalls out. Asked me to clean out his gas tank, lots of rust visible through the filler cap. I do it, clean out the petcock, lots of debris in the top & when removing the gas line, it's got a continuous flow of gas which made me think the diaphragm is stuck in the open position. I take it apart, clean up the rubber bits & put back together. No longer flows gas. Put gas in the tank, takes a couple of cycles to get gas flowing & it starts up but won't rev to upper range. I drain the bowl, take the bowl off the carb thinking the main is plugged. It wasn't. No tears in the piston diaphragm. Spray everything down with carb cleaner, put everything back together. Finally, it runs. Get about 5 minutes down the road, roll off the throttle & motor stops running. It fires up instantly but won't idle. I adjust the idle adjuster & it runs. Go for another spin. Acts like it's running out of gas, dies but starts right back up, runs good for a minute or so & dies. This is where I get stumped. When I pull the filter cover off, this is what I see...melted plastic. What in the world is going on with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
You had gas in the air box, you had a backfire and you had a fire. Several 1300 have done this with fuel problems. The tiny strainer in the carb hose fitting could be partially clogged. ACO valve diaphragm could have a hole in it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You had gas in the air box, you had a backfire and you had a fire. Several 1300 have done this with fuel problems.
I do remember the bike popping & backfiring...good grief, this could have turned out bad. ACO valve? Is that the diaphragm on the back side of the petcock? I tried convincing the guy he needed a new petcock but he didn't want to spend the money. The switch is locked to the 'on' position so I picked up a used one anyway. The seller confirmed the switch is operating & I'm hoping the diaphragm is good too. Yeah, the strainer going into the carb was full of debris...no surprise with what the petcock had in it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are all the hoses behind the carb clamped nice and tight? Like on the intake? Maybe it isn’t breathing air through the carb so gas is getting out rather than inhaled?
Possibly...17 year old hoses are definitely showing their age & it doesn't look like maintenance was a top priority. I'd love to take out the pair valve & replace vacuum lines or put a jet kit & airbox on but it's not mine. Front brake fluid looked like motor oil & I'm almost positive one or both caliper pistons are seized. It needs a lot of work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Possibly...17 year old hoses are definitely showing their age & it doesn't look like maintenance was a top priority. I'd love to take out the pair valve & replace vacuum lines or put a jet kit & airbox on but it's not mine. Front brake fluid looked like motor oil & I'm almost positive one or both caliper pistons are seized. It needs a lot of work.
Vacuum lines are easy peeazy. Hardest part is finding a store with nice soft non-reinforced tubing of the right size. I went to four stores dealing with Walmart caliber parts people at most - some told me they didn’t sell it, so I had to press I am positive you sell SOME, just a question of if you have what I seek. My NAPA had what I sought. Take a short piece and a connector with to test fit with whatever they sell. I bought 9ft and had at least 2 leftover.. it might take as lil as 5’. I wasn’t really paying attention to how much I used or had left over. I ran them with some slack so I can nibble at them if needed down the road, or move them around a lil. Should have gotten a lil more and done the vent line off the tank too. Once replaced you should be golden for a decade and you won’t first suspect them every time an issue crops up.

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
69 Posts
Had fuel come into my airbox, too. Comes through the air port first (small hole about 8 o'clock on the intake) then will come out the overflow tube. Float valve is was the cause.
Part 2 is the fix.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had fuel come into my airbox, too. Comes through the air port first (small hole about 8 o'clock on the intake) then will come out the overflow tube. Float valve is was the cause.
Part 2 is the fix.
Thanks man. Think I said in an earlier post I didn't plan on removing the PAIR setup because it wasn't my bike. I decided to anyway & after seeing this video, I'm happy about it.

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
69 Posts
That video is me. Lol. I still have that bike and the carb runs flawlessly. Zero fuel leak. I did add a shim to lift the float valve higher. After I did that, I rode the bike at a high RPM in 4th grear for 90+ seconds to ensure the valve lowered enough to allow sufficient fuel back into the bowl and didn't starve it.

I did blame the PAIR valve at first but after seeing the fuel come out of the overflow tube, I knew right away what it was. It would take a full 6 minutes after start up for the bowl to overfill and start coming out of the air port in front of the carb. It sucked troubleshooting that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would take a full 6 minutes after start up for the bowl to overfill and start coming out of the air port in front of the carb. It sucked troubleshooting that.
So when I put this guy's airbox back on, I'll let the bike sit for a couple of minutes before taking off & wait to see if fuel comes out of that small brass jet. I'm hoping the guy he paid to rebuild the carb replaced that float needle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, does the carb have a removable float needle seat?
Removable seat? The float valve sits on the float. You can remove the float valve from the float, yes. If you mean "is the fuel inlet for the bowl removable", I wasn't able to remove mine. I've seen some carbs with a removable sleeve in that fuel inlet but my 1300's didn't come out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
By the way, I bottle fed the carb while in the testing phase. I hated putting the air box and tank back on only to see the fuel leak out and have to remove it all again. I put a spare 18" of fuel line to the carb, stuck a funnel in it and fed the carb slowly while it idled. If you do this, do NOT rev the bike. The engine will lower the fuel in the bowl faster and then you have to wait that much longer for the bowl to fill back up. Let it idle for 6-10 minutes. If no fuel comes out in 10 minutes of idling, you should be in the clear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts