Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 12" 1.25 diameter ape hangers that are made for an Electraglide HD with the curve to fit a fairing. I just installed a Memphis Shades Batwing with the trigger lock mounts. I'm having a little bit of a clearance issue at the top of the fairing. I don't even have the windshield mounted yet. I took the hardware off the bike and drilled new holes on the top of the mount under the triple tree just to rake the mounts forward a bit. It worked great, but still had to rotate the bars back. The bars are now raked back too much though. I was looking at the front of the fairing and noticed I have a lot of headlight sticking out. I thinking I could easily move the fairing an inch forward. This would give plenty of clearance for me to move the bars back to where they were before........ Has anyone ever added spacers between the fairing and the trigger lock hardware? I'm thinking this would be the best way to achieve this. I may have to find some stud (bolt) extenders.

This pic shows the bars...I have lower risers on them now.. may put the pull back risers back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
How are your mounts adjusted?

I would try with the mount clamps as low on the forks as possible. Then put the bottom mounting post all the way back (toward the seat), and the upper post all the way forward (toward the headlight).

If you decide you need to use a spacer I would use a plate that attaches to the clamps and mount the studs on the plate. Use one plate for both posts on each side, not a plate for each post.

Just my thoughts, hope they help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No fork clamps on the R model with covered forks. I did use 1" long nuts threaded all the way down the factory studs. Put a 1" spacer that fit all the way down and had enough thread in the nut to put a bolt through the mount and bolted it in. Of course I found all stainless hardware. It set the fairing out perfect. Got my bars where I want them and plenty of room between cables, bars and fairing. Now I have to order the shield.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the mounts on the bike bolt to the two bolts on the lower triple tree that attach the fork covers, just beside the headlight. The top of the mount bolts to a threaded hole in the bottom of the upper tree. I think there used to be cable guides there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How are your mounts adjusted?

I would try with the mount clamps as low on the forks as possible. Then put the bottom mounting post all the way back (toward the seat), and the upper post all the way forward (toward the headlight).

If you decide you need to use a spacer I would use a plate that attaches to the clamps and mount the studs on the plate. Use one plate for both posts on each side, not a plate for each post.

Just my thoughts, hope they help.
What size 1 inch threaded spacers did you go with I have spaced mine out as far as I could with nuts but I don’t have enough threads to extend where I need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts