Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

This past weekend Installed a Memphis shades windshield. The install was easy enough. I noticed that were the windshield installs to the bike, there is enough metal to ding the tank. Guess what, I put a nice ding on the left front of my tank. Anyone else have this problem? Did i install the windsheild to the hanger incorrectly? :oops:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The 1800 must mount drifferent than the 1300. There is no way any thing on the wind shield comes close to my tank.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
That's what I'm a thinkin. Must be different than the 1300. You're welcome to bring it over here to Dallas and I'll help you figure it out if ya want. There's gotta be SOMETHING on there backwards would be my guess.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree with Rainman. The metal that protrudes from the brackets should be sticking out the front of the forks, not the back.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yep

its easy to put the bracketts on backwards.

the split rings need flipping over.

when I bought my X some numnuts had done just that and dinged the right side of the tank.

got a nice dimple.

georgiaboy

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Must be something reaaaaallllllllyyy different on an 1800! :pepper1:

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Cody450 said:
Must be something reaaaaallllllllyyy different on an 1800! :pepper1:
Nope, I don't think so...I do believe he's got 'em leaned back towards himself a tad too far, then when you do a hard left or right turn, there is a chance of dinging the front of the tank. It isn't, IMHO, anything to do with "backwards", it's the way they are made.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
It's been longer than a day since I put mine on so I'd have to go look. I suppose they could be leaned back too far, like I said, it's been longer than a day................!

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Cody450 said:
It's been longer than a day since I put mine on so I'd have to go look. I suppose they could be leaned back too far, like I said, it's been longer than a day................!
If you check the bottom most adjustment screws, if you push the shield all the way in (toward the tank), that's when you can cause it to "touch" in a hard left or right turning (i.e., when you lock the forks) of the front wheel. To correct it, all you have to do is loosen the nuts on both sides and pull her out just a smidgen :wink: and tighten her back down...voila, no more problem. Again, JMHO (plus, that's what I did when I was using the Memphis Shades on my X).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I'll try and get some pics on here soon. I hope that it's an installtion problem and not how the windshield is constructed.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If you want to swing by my house I'm sure we can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have the Memphis Fats 21". When the brackets are put on backards they'll hit the tank. I almost did it myself. It is certainly a design error that MS should not have allowed and I have heard this story several times. I wonder how many tanks have been dinged ..... :cry:
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZOR

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
x-beast said:
I have the Memphis Fats 21". When the brackets are put on backards they'll hit the tank. I almost did it myself. It is certainly a design error that MS should not have allowed and I have heard this story several times. I wonder how many tanks have been dinged ..... :cry:
X, I'm not referring to the brackets, but to the actual piece on the shield itself that slides onto the mounting bracket IF it's pushed all the way in toward the tank at the bottom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts