Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi All,

Just bought my new to me VTX 18C. I'm looking at the MS shields and I'm not sure what height is needed for me. The bike has a Mustang seat. I'm 5' 10" w/32 inch inseam. My guess would be the 19" MS shield. I would like to buy a good used one but I'm willing to buy new from HDL.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
John
:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome to the board John. I am 6'2" and run a 21" MS. It seems to fit me right. You should get a shield that you can just see over the top. I hope this helps. T-Bone.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ditto what TBone said. I also have the 21 MS. Seems to me it depends upon your body size more than seat, etc. although that can make a difference in how tall or short you sit in the saddle. Basically, I think you want to look over the shield instead of through it because if you end up in the rain, you could not see very well through it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am the same size as you and I use 21" shade it works well. As others have said, you want to just look over it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
John -

I, too, am 5'10", 32 inseam, and I'm running with the 21" Memphis Fat shield - for me it's perfect, just the right size, and looks great on the bike!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm 5'9" and I am using the Fats 19". Fits just right. I have a Corbin Dual tour that sits me about an inch lower than the stock seat. The top of the shield is level with the bridge of my snoz. If I remember correctly, Memphis Shades has a chart to help you select windshield height.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm 5'9" and I am using the Fats 19". Fits just right. I have a Corbin Dual tour that sits me about an inch lower than the stock seat. The top of the shield is level with the bridge of my snoz. If I remember correctly, Memphis Shades has a chart to help you select windshield height.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i have the 19" and i had to move the brackets all the way up so i would get the 21" i am 5'10" .you have alot of room to adjust the brackets

·
Registered
233 Posts
Try cutting out a cardboard winshield mock- up. Start at 21" and if you can't see over the top take off an inch at a time until you like what you see. Measure the hight above the headlight and you will know what hight will work for you. I have used this method several times with good results

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
John I also have a 21in. memphis windshield. Just put it on my 1800c last fall seems to be working allright. I am 6ft and it is a lot better than no windshield if you are going a great distance :twisted:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hi All,

Thanks for your detailed responses. I will look at the aforementioned windshields and make a purchase soon.

It's one thing to have a bad hair day and it's another to get blown off the bike! :shock:

Great Day!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 19" Memphis Shade for sale

I have a Mephis Shades 19" Fats (clear) for sale that I bought from HDL about 18 months ago. It's softly/slightly used (about 400 miles) -- no significant dings or scratches. Just sitting in the garage in a box. But it doesn't include the mounting hardware. I'll sell it for 1/2 of what HDL charges for a new one. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Memphis Fats

I have both a 13" and a 21". I use the 13" most of the time, and reserve the 21" for cold, crappy weather, of which we don't get much of here in SoCal :D
If you get rid of those "Dumbo's Ears" turn signals, you'll have plenty of vertical adjustment available.
Despite the disclaimers, the Memphis Fats and the Kuryakyn Light Bar are quite compatabile :!:
I'm 5'9", and have a 30" inseam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts