Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a retired Drill Sergent - I want to pass on one of my favorite Poems I read to the Recruits on Christmas Eve. Will everyone please remember our troops who are serving overseas and what they are doing for us during this period. I spent many a Christmas away from my family and these are tough times for them, remember them in your thoughts and prayers!

'Twas The Night Before Christmas,
He Lived All Alone,
In A One Bedroom House
Made Of Plaster And Stone.

I Had Come Down The Chimney
With Presents To Give,
And To See Just Who
In This Home Did Live.

I Looked All About,
A Strange Sight I Did See,
No Tinsel, No Presents,
Not Even A Tree.

No Stocking By Mantle,
Just Boots Filled With Sand,
On The Wall Hung Pictures
Of Far Distant Lands.

With Medals And Badges,
Awards Of All Kinds,
A Sober Thought
Came Through My Mind.

For This House Was Different,
It Was Dark And Dreary,
I Found The Home Of A Soldier,
Once I Could See Clearly.

The Soldier Lay Sleeping,
Silent, Alone,
Curled Up On The Floor
In This One Bedroom Home.

The Face Was So Gentle,
The Room In Such Disorder,
Not How I Pictured
A United States Soldier.

Was This The Hero
Of Whom I'd Just Read?
Curled Up On A Poncho,
The Floor For A Bed?

I Realized The Families
That I Saw This Night,
Owed Their Lives To These Soldiers
Who Were Willing To Fight.

Soon Round The World,
The Children Would Play,
And Grownups Would Celebrate
A Bright Christmas Day.

They All Enjoyed Freedom
Each Month Of The Year,
Because Of The Soldiers,
Like The One Lying Here.

I Couldn't Help Wonder
How Many Lay Alone,
On A Cold Christmas Eve
In A Land Far From Home.

The Very Thought
Brought A Tear To My Eye,
I Dropped To My Knees
And Started To Cry.

The Soldier Awakened
And I Heard A Rough Voice,
"Santa Don't Cry,
This Life Is My Choice;

I Fight For Freedom,
I Don't Ask For More,
My Life Is My God,
My Country, My Corps."

The Soldier Rolled Over
And Drifted To Sleep,
I Couldn't Control It,
I Continued To Weep.

I Kept Watch For Hours,
So Silent And Still
And We Both Shivered
From The Cold Night's Chill.

I Didn't Want To Leave
On That Cold, Dark, Night,
This Guardian Of Honor
So Willing To Fight.

Then The Soldier Rolled Over,
With A Voice Soft And Pure,
Whispered, "Carry On Santa,
It's Christmas Day, All Is Secure."

One Look At My Watch,
And I Knew He Was Right.
"Merry Christmas My Friend,
And To All A Good Night."

Written by Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt in 1986. Printed in Leatherneck (The Magazines for the Marines) in December 1991.

The Chief!!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
:thumbup:

Thanks to all the soldiers out there.

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
As a retired Drill Sergent -
Yer prolly the same guy with the funny hat who back in 1968 made me run around the parade field for half an hour with my arms out stretched and holding my M-14 rifle. Just so you know, You didn't break me you Ba&%#rd because I now own an M-14 rifle! (M1A) It is mine and it is a part of me and I love the damn thing!:joke::mrgreen::thumbup::bowdown:

BTW, great poem, I love that too!
Merry Christmas Drill Sergant, and Merry Christmas to all the troops who are serving and who have served.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey all,

I wanted to say thanks for the thanks. I am heding out to Iraq in a couple weeks and I really do appreciate the fact that people take the time out of there days to shake my hand or write a post like this one. It really lets me know that we (military) are appreciated.

Thaks again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey all,

I wanted to say thanks for the thanks. I am heding out to Iraq in a couple weeks and I really do appreciate the fact that people take the time out of there days to shake my hand or write a post like this one. It really lets me know that we (military) are appreciated.

Thaks again.

Be safe out there Dragon-X. Your sacrifices are appreciated. We'll keep you in our prayers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Our Troops

This holiday season, spend a few moments to Thank our troops and ask for their protection so they can quickly come home and be with their loved ones.
:agree:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: To our Troops!!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
God bless all who serve and have served in the armed forces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
joeygm7

PRAY, STAY ALERT, MOVE FAST, AND DON'T TAKE ANY CRAP. OUR PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU. THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US SAFE. PLEASE COME HOME IN ONE PIECE.

GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS,
JOEY, PRIOR SERVICE 10 YEARS US ARMY

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks to all who serve and protect all our freedoms.
Way to many forget the sacrafices made by our men and women in the Armed services. May they all come home safe when their mission is done.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
..Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and big thank you for your service for all our troops..here and abroad..:doorag:

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
There is no greater courage nor sacrifice than the risks you take for this country and for your brethren.

Thanks for every waking moment you give, so that ours might be filled with a secure slumber. My prayers are for your safety and your safe return as soon as possible.

We love you, man. :firstplace:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll never forget the Christmases and holidays I missed while I was in the service, they were always time to pause and reflect on all the Holidays past... so vividly I could recall those past Christmas mornings... I could almost smell Christmas dinner and the excitement I felt as a child on Christmas morning.
We are never alone as ones who can remember those wonderful joyous times that will always be with us through our lives.
Now as I grow older it is up to a new generation to take my place and recall their most sacred and glorious Christmas mornings as the same way I did, and as those that have done the same before me.
You are NOT alone and I stand and salute you for your sacrifice you have already endured and the sacrifices yet to endure.
May God smile fondly upon you and may His grace bestow a heart-filled, joyous Christmas day to you and your family that misses you so very much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts