Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my truck to the dealer to find out why my radio was not receiving stations on my radio. My truck is little over a year old. So the service manager calls me back to where the mechanic found the problem. Never thought it would be that. So he had the hood open took his light and showed me inside the cowl under where my radio antenna was. Firs there was insulation pulled out and the cable was chewed through. He thought the mice did it at first but I said I have squirrels running around and they might of chewed through it. So far the cable is 47 dollars and time to replace it is 2 to 5 hrs.. So can mice chew through a hard coax cable or would it be the squirrels:frown:

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Mice can chew through a cinder block! Some coax is nothing.

·
Senior Pirate
7,720 Posts
I’m not an expert on either although I’ve never heard of squirrels chewing things. I may be wrong.

But, I do know first hand that large rats can get into a hole about 1/2” diameter, chew through 16 gauge insulated stranded copper wire, and like to eat Burger King ketchup. I discovered this when the fuel sender on my boat quit working and I traced it to the chewed wire under a deck hatch that only had a finger sized opening. The rats skull, some fur and an opened ketchup packet was all that was left. I guess the fast food did him in.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I used to have flower boxes on the rails of my back deck until the squirrels ate the plants out of them & then started eating the plastic flower boxes. That was the end to flowers on the deck. Remember, squirrels are rats with fluffy tails!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Around these parts we call squirrels tree rats, and yes they will eat anything including a Sweet Gum tree's seeds. Indestructible round balls about the size of a golf ball.

·
Old Goat
24,200 Posts
Their teeth never stop growing...they chew stuff to keep teeth in check and sharp....:nerd: on a similar note ..my sister and brother in law live out in the boonies in Wyoming...they have a Lexus convertible weekend car...took in for servicing every nook,crack and cranny full of dog food...but no chewed wires...

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
In the garage - any pet food, or anything else that may be considered "food" must be kept in a metal container with a metal lid.

Any cardboard, cloth, paper towels, etc. should be removed, as these make great nesting material.

We've found air boxes filled with pecans and plenums on the climate control filled with "nests".

Mice chewed the coil wires on the riding lawnmower, and made a huge nest in the flywheel on top of the motor.

THEN, this stray cat showed up. We immediately discovered that she had "talent".

of course, one must have "backup"......

·
Super Moderator
63,577 Posts
New wires these days are made from a soy based plastic and the vermin can smell this coating and they try to eat it. Just google mice ate my car wiring and you'll find hundreds of first hand accounts and even some news stories about this new wave of Eco friendly crap we now have to deal with

·
Registered
680 Posts
I use moth balls on my tractors that sit out under cover . They evaporate in about 3 weeks but mice , rats, snakes and squirrels hate moth balls.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Even if you have squirrels, my money is on the mice. They love insulation, and I've found them in houses, dead in the walls, burned to a crisp because they were eating through live wires. The mothball idea is good, and I've seen it work.
On my last bike restoration - 1998 Yamaha Virago - the bike had been kept in a garage and not started for about 6 years. The owners manual was about 1/4 eaten, and I found about 500 sunflower seed shells in the air box. Both were the work of some busy (and industrious) mice.........

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Funny this comes up now.
I heard some scratching around in my wall yesterday which I know from experience is an on again off again red squirrel issue. I set up a live trap as the only way in or out of the tiny opening they found in some sheet metal at ground level.

This morning I found the trap closed and instead of a pesky red squirrel (and they'll chew through anything including wall studs and wiring) I found a baby weasel! No more than 6" long.

I figured there's no way he was in the wall but I found on the internet that they have been known to go in looking for mice or squirrels to eat....could also be that he just smelled the peanut butter as he was passing by.

I set the trap up again to see if there were any more to come out before I seal it up or maybe it still was a squirrel still to be caught. Nothing yet this afternoon.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I use moth balls on my tractors that sit out under cover . They evaporate in about 3 weeks but mice , rats, snakes and squirrels hate moth balls.
Moths balls are ok to use but just so damn inconvenient. And the older I get the harder it is to use them.

Once you CATCH the moths, its a real pain to get their legs spread apart to harvest them.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
... I found a baby weasel! No more than 6" long...
I'm thinking you might have caught an adult female Least weasel. 6" is a typical full grown female. The timing is off by a couple months for a juvenile Long Tailed or Short Tailed weasel to be out of the den.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got done talking to the neighbor who works at a Honda dealership as a mechanic he said they had 20 cars that had wires that were chewed as stated earlier that. Cables are soy covered he mentioned that now the insurance companies are they might be suing the people that are making these wires out of got my GM truck back and it cost me $315 to fix it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts