Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I liked the Commander II tires on my shovelhead and would like to continue the trend on my 1800N. The Metzeler Marathon on the rear is gone in just under 6K. One years riding for me and I don't ride like a crazed person at my age. Unacceptable.

The MM is a 180/70 R16 77H and the Commander II I would like to stick on there is a 180/65 B16 (77H??). This will just set it down a touch and and make my speedo a little more true if I'm looking at this correctly.

Any issues with this bias on the back and the radial on the front? This is the only offering in the Commander II that is close to stock size.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
I liked the Commander II tires on my shovelhead and would like to continue the trend on my 1800N. The Metzeler Marathon on the rear is gone in just under 6K. One years riding for me and I don't ride like a crazed person at my age. Unacceptable.

The MM is a 180/70 R16 77H and the Commander II I would like to stick on there is a 180/65 B16 (77H??). This will just set it down a touch and and make my speedo a little more true if I'm looking at this correctly.

Any issues with this bias on the back and the radial on the front? This is the only offering in the Commander II that is close to stock size.
Nope, shorter tire will cause the speedo to read even higher for a given speed. Smaller diameter, smaller circumference, less distance per tire revolution than assumed by the speedo. A taller tire, or taller gears will help with the optimistic speedo.

I can't speak to the Michelin tires, the Metzler Marathon 880 tires were superseded by the Marathon 888, which is indeed a higher mileage tire. For me I like the Metz 888 on my Road Glide. So far about 14,000mi/22,000km, and I should be good for another year. That's on an, almost, 1000lb bike, more than that with my lard arse on it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right about the speedo readout. What can I say, I'm left-handed.

I only know Dunlop (from my Harley days) and Michelins because of the Harley days. Not talking the E3 or E4 tires of which I know nothing. The Metzelers on the bike are probably 808 series. In all honesty I didn't look past the numbers. I will settle on the E4 or 888 if, for some reason, I can't run the Commander II bias with a radial or that sidewall, being shorter would cause an issue but I'm not seeing that. But I was wrong about the speedo. :smile2:

Thank you, for the reply.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
You're right about the speedo readout. What can I say, I'm left-handed.

I only know Dunlop (from my Harley days) and Michelins because of the Harley days. Not talking the E3 or E4 tires of which I know nothing. The Metzelers on the bike are probably 808 series. In all honesty I didn't look past the numbers. I will settle on the E4 or 888 if, for some reason, I can't run the Commander II bias with a radial or that sidewall, being shorter would cause an issue but I'm not seeing that. But I was wrong about the speedo. :smile2:

Thank you, for the reply.
No sweat with running a bias ply tire on your bike, AFAIK. The shorter sidewall is unlikely to cause you any issues either, and you know what to look out for re: the speedo. I know my VTX did use up tires faster than my Harley, even though the Harley is much heavier. I suppose the added torque of the 1800 and the joy of riding it more aggressively spells shorter tire life. Ya gotta pay to play, but it's worth it:grin2:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, all for the replies.

The difference between aspect ratios is only 5 percent which equates to just over 1/4 inch. I used a calculator so it should be correct. I going to give the Commander II a try on this bigger bike just because I'm familiar with the tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts