Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need new tubes for my 1800 spokes also? Is it a good idea to change the tube or just new tires?

tire change is coming quickly and I have decided to stay with the black wall tire. Its hard enough to keep the tires clean with the dust on the breaks with the black walls.

I had a deal with lawman for his spokes and tires but cant seem to get him to reply back to PM or emails anylonger....... will wait 2 more weeks then i gotta switch!

Thanks for any tips on the tubes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: might be a stupid question.... When you change tires do

dave shady said:
Need new tubes for my 1800 spokes also? Is it a good idea to change the tube or just new tires?

tire change is coming quickly and I have decided to stay with the black wall tire. Its hard enough to keep the tires clean with the dust on the breaks with the black walls.

I had a deal with lawman for his spokes and tires but cant seem to get him to reply back to PM or emails anylonger....... will wait 2 more weeks then i gotta switch!

Thanks for any tips on the tubes.
I can't say for sure what happens when you don't change the tubes, but I will share that my dealer (a reputable one) guaranteed that if I didn't get new tubes with my new tires, I would be back very shortly with flats. (I have spoked wheels, too.) So I got new tubes and simply removed all doubt (and bought some peace of mind). I have no idea why reusing tubes is a bad prospect.

This is just anecdotal, not based on some technical explanation. Hope this helps... Oh yeah, tubes are expensive.

Steve

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks....

For the peace of mind probably worth it. 50$ for tubes from hal. I did call the dealer... 150$ higher on the tires alone. BUT if i buy them there I save 20$ on the mounting!

tires 210$
tubes 50$
mounting 110$

grand total = $370.00

only 8000 miles out of them

That sucks.... New rubber every year or less at the rate im going

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I use the same tubes all season on my dirtbike (3 or 4 tires) and have never had a problem. I would think street riding would be easier on them than riding in the woods but maybe not? So, I am absolutely no help to you at all.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Re: thanks....

dave shady said:
For the peace of mind probably worth it. 50$ for tubes from hal. I did call the dealer... 150$ higher on the tires alone. BUT if i buy them there I save 20$ on the mounting!

tires 210$
tubes 50$
mounting 110$

grand total = $370.00

only 8000 miles out of them

That sucks.... New rubber every year or less at the rate im going
don't switch to a sportbike, I'm lucky to get 5000 out of my tires on the CBR.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Air

Critical that the stealer installs Spring Air - Many of them are stuck with Winter Air and will try and use it up :pepper1:

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Always replace the tubes when replacing the tires. The tubes stretch and don't fit well in a new tire. Want to see for yourself compare the new tube to the old when they replace your tires. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Ive put 25K miles thru two tires with no problems. I know no one that has had a problem. But it is a cheap insurance policy if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
2wheelsforme said:
Ive put 25K miles thru two tires with no problems. I know no one that has had a problem. But it is a cheap insurance policy if it makes you feel better.
I'd hate to die for $30.00 worth of rubber.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
hate to die for $30.00 worth of rubber.[/quote]

I don't think I'm dead and I've never heard of anyone else dieing from not changing tubes. Have you? I just stated a fact, and you qoute from the people who sell tubes.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
2wheelsforme said:
hate to die for $30.00 worth of rubber.
I don't think I'm dead and I've never heard of anyone else dieing from not changing tubes. Have you? I just stated a fact, and you qoute from the people who sell tubes.[/quote]

Its a common sense issue, a used tube won't fit into a new tire without having folds in it . If you don't get it thats your problem . For the safety of the riders on this board I posted the facts. You won't find a dealer worth his salt that would reuse a tube in a bike tire. This ain't the depression. Find me just one bike site that promotes reusing a tube.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Re: Air

Stan C said:
Critical that the stealer installs Spring Air - Many of them are stuck with Winter Air and will try and use it up :pepper1:
I agree the spring air is lighter then the winter air so you get a bit more speed.. :4is:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts