Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was curious how many miles people are seeing out of a stock clutch?

i have a 05 f and put 18000 miles on since june 06, 50% of the time i ride kinda retarded, i think my cluch should of been replaced around 16000 but its still going strong, not complaining just curious

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am at 15,500 on the stock clutch with no slippage. I use Castrol GTX oil (non-energy conserving) since day #1. I like wheelies, slipping the tire etc. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. :vtx18:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I replaced at 21,000. It had slip at high rpm's, and started to have slip low in 2nd gear. I drive it hard...

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm at 37k on the original clutch with no problems. I have the new springs sitting on the shelf and ready to go. Originally used Mobil One MX-4T then switched to Amsoil after about 25k. A lot of daily commute miles in traffic with about half the mileage from long trips out west. Not very much in the way of burn outs or trying to wheelie.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I replaced mine at about 25K,was slipping in 4th and 5th.I replaced it with stock plates and discs and Barnett springs,75K and going strong 8) .

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
6500 all stock, 3500 with crappy barnett springs, 800 miles with a POS 10 disc kewl metal clutch, and now a 1000 miles with an MTC. The MTC rocks I never knew you could pull the front wheel that good in second gear 8) The 10 disc could have hooked up, but you couldn't shift it :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
700 Posts
X'N said:
6500 all stock, 3500 with crappy barnett springs, 800 miles with a POS 10 disc kewl metal clutch, and now a 1000 miles with an MTC. The MTC rocks I never knew you could pull the front wheel that good in second gear 8) The 10 disc could have hooked up, but you couldn't shift it :lol: :roll:
So what exactly is the problem with the barnett springs? Isn't it suppose to help? I'm just asking because i'm thinking about adding them to my bike.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
no problems with my stock clutch with barnett springs, so far, 49000 mi. 8)

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
MacGuy said:
X'N said:
So what exactly is the problem with the barnett springs? Isn't it suppose to help? I'm just asking because i'm thinking about adding them to my bike.
the weakest link in our clutch is the springs it is what provides the clamping force to lock up the clutch. IMO the barnett springs fatigue way to quickly and loose the effective spring force to keep the clutch from slipping. A better spring choice would be some MTC or kewl metal springs that is if you could buy them separate.

My brothers clutch is slipping now and I'm thinking of buying some new stock springs and doing a little shimming on them. Sad to say and I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but I think the stock springs are better than the barnetts. At least in my case the stockers held fine for over 5500 miles, while the barnetts held good for about 1000 miles. And yes when I removed my stock clutch pack there was no burning and all measurements were well within Honda's specs listed in the service manual.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
i have 28,000 on the stocker with a new set of barnetts on the shelf ,mine will slip just a bit when i powershift other than that fine and i also run amsoil

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm at 11,000 miles and my stocker is starting to slip. I'm trying to decide which replacement clutch to use.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
DMFK said:
I'm at 11,000 miles and my stocker is starting to slip. I'm trying to decide which replacement clutch to use.
MTC all the way! Shifts like a dream no problem finding neutral and hooks great! FYI I do have the springs shimmed and a lifter washer installed.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Wesley said:
This would be more to my experience ...

... but most of my riding is on wide open two lane blacktop ... and commonly go 25 + miles without shifting ...

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Wesley said:
but, but you ride like an old woman :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Bigdog 1 said:
Wesley said:
but, but you ride like an old woman :)

Ain't that the truth! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, I'm old and not able to do the things I did when I was a young wipper-snapper. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
X'N said:
MTC all the way! Shifts like a dream no problem finding neutral and hooks great! FYI I do have the springs shimmed and a lifter washer installed.
I can vouch that it shifts smooth and neutral is easy to find as stock clutch on his! Seems to hook up better too...

·
Registered
454 Posts
MTC

30 K with stock clutch and barnett springs. Then, I put in the MTC with spring shims and lifter shim per Showtime's research. Like said above, it pulls almost locks, but is smoother than stock.

To me it's about a combination. Performance MTC clutch plus darkside tires plus 1300 final drive makes a perfect combo of smoother power cruising. And not just cruising. With upgraded suspension combined, it can do twisty canyon carving like a sportster. I will not sell this bike ever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.