Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to reproduce the voltage and current capability of a VTX in my apartment to test some stuff. 12 volts is easy to get, but does anyone have any idea of how to get enough current? Probably about 10 amps or so, maybe less..

·
Registered
395 Posts
A good quality PC power supply should give you over 10A on the 12VDC lines.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Adjustable power supply, they have a grid for voltage and amps, Radio control racers use them to supply power for their chargers when they charge the batteries. Check your local hobby store, They are pricey however.
I am sure there are other ways to do it, someone will pipe in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
use a small battery charger connected to a motorcycle or lawn tractor battery. Put the battery in a plastic container, a battery box made for a boat works great. A 6 pack size ice chest also works well. Used to use this setup when working on CB radios and 8-track tape decks. (its a really old idea, like me :( ) Be sure to use a fuse between the battery and your project.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a variable AC-DC plug, but not enough current. I dont want to buy anything. My laptop unfortunately is 20 volts but that might be okay since it is just a small motor for air horns. I dont know Im still looking for idears though..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Vtxbob's way would be the cheapest route, or maybe if know someone that has a marine battery, these can pump out a lot of amps for projects like your's.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Power

Your not wanting to buy anything makes it a problem. The free way is to take your VTX battery out and bring it inside while testing. 3bolts, 3 screws, 2 terminal screws.

I use an automatic battery charger (the kind that tapers as the battery builds) and it gives 6amps max. That has always been enough for anything I had to do. But that will set you back $30-40.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Power

Find a buddy with a battery charger. Mine has a 2 amp, 10 amp, and 30 amp setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts