Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the scoot to the dealer for the 8K since I was not confident of my ability to adjust the valves. That was 4K ago and now I'm doing the 12K myself. Just pulled the air cleaner cover and filter to clean and recharge my K& N. Surprise: No air filter seal - the rubber gasket that fits in a groove in the air cleaner box and that is designed to seal against the base of the air filter. I got quite a bit of crap out of the filter but didn't find anything except a little oily grime in the bottom of the air box. The rest of the box and the intakes were clean.

The dealer's tech was the last person who touched the air cleaner until I popped it open a few minutes ago and I'm absolutely positive the air filter seal was there before I took the bike in for the 8K.

Should I be concerned and what should I require the dealer to do? I'd appreciate opinions, please.

Many thanks,

Will

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Nothing to worry about as the filter seals itself to the housing but I would have the dealer replace the rubber. Or are you saying the rubber is gone off the filter itself??

·
Registered
455 Posts
If your talking about the seal that seals the cover on the black backing plate, its there. Take a small awl or pocket knife and you should be able to see it move or pull it out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
silvervtx04s said:
Or are you saying the rubber is gone off the filter itself??
streetrod said:
If your talking about the seal that seals the cover on the black backing plate, its there. Take a small awl or pocket knife and you should be able to see it move or pull it out.
No, the all the rubber is still on the filter and I can see a clear indentation where it was snugged against the back of the airbox. The rubber seal that fits in the groove where the airbox and airbox cover mate is the one that's missing. (Sorry about my initial, imprecise description.) When all the crud started coming off the outside of the filter, it seemed excessive and that's what led me to inspect the airbox and cover very carefully. Definitely no seal - which probably explains the excessive crud.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
He means #3

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I would be most concerned about a rattle or buzz then filter contamination. But then I was running a cut out cover for 2 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts