Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
tire matching

I wanna run a D206 in the frnt w/ an Avon in the back...so far peepl say not to..I'm gonna keep askin'...need new skins..17k+..XnNH

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
ww1flyingace said:
Any problems running an Avon or Metz on the rear, with the stock dunlop on the front?
Mixing different tires on the front and back will not be a problem.
I know guys that run Dunlop on the front and Metz on the rear, Metz on the front and a Bridgstone on the rear.
Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
sho-me vtx said:
may not be good to mix bias and radial
Good point!!
I would NOT recommend mixing Bias and Radial tires!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Please enlighten me.

Maybe I'm just a daredevil. I'm running a Dunlop 404 bias ply on the front and an Avon Venom X on the rear. Rides better than ever and the rear grips off the line MUCH better than the Dunlop K555 that came standard. I'd put a matching Avon on the front but they don't make a 150/80-17 front tire. I may switch to a Metzler front when my current tire wears out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
beer,
Avon front tire:
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =699237710

flying ace,
i'm running an metz on the front and avon venom R in the rear-no probs at all. i like the avons b/c it seems as if i'm gonna get pretty decent mileage out of her. afriend had the metz on the rear and only got about 6-7K and has gotten pretty good out of his front metz so far and that's why i opted to go metz up front.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well,

Whatever goes on the back has to go with the Dunlop OEM on the front. Im probablyl just gonna just bite the bullet and go Metz all the way around. Its just after ordering my Proton4, I was hoping I could just put the rear on, for now, and a matching front later after finances ease up.

Or, I can just put another OEM Dunlop on the back, but I really want to move to a different tire.

·
Registered
301 Posts
flyingace,
i had my avon back there for about 2500 miles w/the OEM dunny up front w/no probs. from what i had read, it was an even split btn the avon and metz up front so i literally flipped a coin(best 2/3) and it wound up being the metz. as far as the rear goes, from all i can read, the avon gets better mileage but isn't quite as sticky as the metz, but is a VAST improvement oner the dunny.

good luck in deciding

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
They say that mixing will adversely affect the handling characteristics.
However the 1800 handles like a slug so I have my doubts in this application.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Running different brands and even different tread designs on the front and rear as long as both are radials or both are bias ply is perfectly fine to do.
In addition, there is a growing number of people who are convinced (me being one of them) that running a radial on the rear and bias ply on the front is perfectly fine as well. Current bias ply tire contruction is very different from the older bias ply tires. Custom bike builders have been mixing radils and bias ply for years. mike

·
Registered
361 Posts
neovtxtreme - Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I swear I checked there first and I even went to the Avon Motorcycle Tire web site. I must have missed the Venom R at Honda Direct Line.

Question: Does anyone know the difference between the Venom X and the Venom R? I assumed they were both radials but could the X be a tubeless bias ply? I have an 1800S that came w/ tube type bias ply.

Handler -
Custom bike builders have been mixing radils and bias ply for years. mike
That is what I was basing my question on. Although, it's not likely most custom builders are running their bikes around w/ 1300 lbs of bike, riders and luggage at 80 mph around corners either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts