Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I'm going to be taking the plunge into aftermarket pipes. I am going to keep the stock pipes in case I want to switch back.

I'm reading the MN Statute 7030: https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/rules/?id=7030

7030.1000 DEFINITION.

"Motor vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle not operated exclusively upon railroad tracks and any vehicle propelled or drawn by a self-propelled vehicle and includes vehicles known as trackless trolleys which are propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires but not operated upon rails, except snowmobiles.

Statutory Authority:

MS s 116.07

History:

18 SR 614

Posted:

December 12, 2003

So obviously these rules apply to motorcycles... Then...

7030.1010 PROHIBITIONS.

Subpart 1.

Operation of vehicle.

No person shall operate either a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles of a type subject to registration pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, chapter 168 at any time or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed the noise limits contained herein for the category of motor vehicle and speed limits specified, when tested with a measurement procedure approved by the commissioner.

Subp. 2.

Sale of vehicle.

No person shall sell or offer for sale a new motor vehicle or combination of vehicles of a type subject to registration pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, chapter 168 which when maintained according to the manufacturer's specifications would exceed the noise limits contained herein for the category of motor vehicle and speed limits specified, when tested with a measurement procedure approved by the commissioner.

Subp. 3.

Modification of vehicle.

No person shall modify a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles of a type subject to registration pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, chapter 168 in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle, above the noise limits contained herein for the category of motor vehicle and speed limits specified, when tested with a measurement procedure approved by the commissioner. No person shall operate a motor vehicle so modified.

Subp. 4.

Sale of parts.

No person shall sell or offer for sale replacement or additional parts for a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles of a type subject to registration pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, chapter 168 which when installed in the vehicle will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle, above the noise limits contained herein for the category of motor vehicle and speed limits specified, when tested with a measurement procedure approved by the commissioner. No person shall operate a motor vehicle incorporating such parts.

Statutory Authority:

MS s 116.07

History:

L 1987 c 186 s 15; 18 SR 614

Posted:

December 12, 2003

So if I'm reading it correctly it says just modifying the bike is a violation...?

7030.1030 EXCEPTIONS.

Vehicles under parts 7030.1050 and 7030.1060 are allowed to exceed the noise limits contained herein when performing acceleration maneuvers for safety purposes.

Statutory Authority:

MS s 116.07

History:

18 SR 614

Posted:

December 12, 2003
Ok..... Exceptions are good.... I do NOT want a flame war about this but I can't help but assume they are saying that if I make the case that the sound is for "safety" I'm ok?

7030.1050 MOTOR VEHICLE NOISE LIMITS FOR MOTORCYCLES.

A.

For vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1975.

B.

Speed limits greater than 35 mph for vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1975.

C.

Speed limits equal to or less than 35 mph for vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1975.

Statutory Authority:

MS s 116.07

History:

18 SR 614

Posted:

December 12, 2003

So both of my bikes are from after 1975...

I cannot read the chart for certain.... is it saying at 10ft I need to be at 87db or less?
Does that mean while idle or moving?
I don't see any mention of RPMs so is speed the only variable between me and 4db more?

Have any of you received a ticket for a noise violation? How much was it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
From what you got there I would assume that above 35mph go with line B and below 35 mph go with line C.

That said, I've never been bothered.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
no ticket...and mine were loud. Ride with respect in town and you will be fine

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I think that in most towns as long as you are not sitting at stop lights revving your
bike and making as much noise as possible you'll be fine. Same thing in a hot rod
for that matter.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My personal test is "how much are you willing to irritate your neighbors as you leave or come home?" I don't have pipes that I would be pissed at hearing driving by my house late at night. My V&H Big Shots with quiet baffles (which, at 40K miles, probably aren't very baffled) can be putt-putted through the neighborhood very nicely. And they come alive if/when I choose to crack them open in places where people wouldn't be irritated*.

Rob

*Well, except for tunnels... I don't seem to have self control to stop myself from hearing the music inside a tunnel, no matter who is around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts