Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this topic on here a 100 times but I did a search and could not find any thing on this. I want to buy oil locally something Synthetic like mobil 1 which color cap is it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think gold is the best but it's hard to find and $$$

Many people including myself are using RED (15W50) with great success and that can be found at Wal-Mart and others for about $20-25/5quarts

M

·
0 Posts
The Mobil 1 Red Cap (15-50w) was discontinued a couple months back and many stores quickly sold out of the remaining stock. I was at a local Pep Boys last week and they had 4 6-pack mini-cases of the Red Cap on the shelf and only 2 when I left. However, while there, I was checking what other oils were on the shelf. The new 15-50w does, in fact, have a gold cap. Don't rely on the cap color to decide your oil, though. There are several other Mobil 1 oils with the same color cap - smart eh? Remember: When you are selecting your oil, be sure to look on the back of the container at the round API emblem. If you want to keep your clutch intact, the oil you're using MUST NOT contain the words 'energy conserving' in that circle emblem.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
wildbird said:
So is the gold 15W-50 the same as the red 15W-50 or is there a difference other than the cap color?
This is what Mobil says about the new oil. [Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance products contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 37 percent more cleaning agents, and 36 percent more anti-wear additives than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 Extended Performance with the Advanced SuperSyn System helps keep engines running like new and helps extend engine life by reducing wear and oil breakdown. Please follow the recommendations in your owner's manual while your car is under warranty. ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts