Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I took advantage of the cold snow, rain and ice for last couple of weeks and decided to get my winter mods done. I installed the All Balls bearings and progressive springs. As well as slipping in a resistor to dim the high beam light. Got it back together yesterday and got to go for a little test ride today. Wow! What a difference! With the bearings it feels much tighter/firmer in the steering and the wobble is gone, halleljuah! The biggest difference is with the progressive springs installed. Originally when I sat on my bike, the front end would squat down quite a bit. Once all together I sat on the bike and the front end didn't hardly budge at all! Ride today shows that it handles like a dream. Rather than bounce up and down a few times when hitting a bump, it just dipped through the bump once and done! Sweet.

As always is said, thanks to the guys who have taken the time to document and post pictures of the procedures to do these changes. They were invalueable and very helpful. I am a decent wrench for the most part and feel that even average to below average wrenchers could do these mods very easily. Just take your time and pay attention. I am pretty good at ingenuity and was able to get it all done without any special tools at all.

So come on spring! This NW rider is freaking ready to ride!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nice job Dave. I have everything but my Progressive springs in hand. What type of tools did you have to fabricate for the bearing job? I have seen a couple of different styles on the How to page but I have not made anything yet. Also how long did it take you to do the job? I am a decent wrench myself but my first valve adjustment and 16K service took 6 hours instead of 4 as posted. Just wondering if I need to plan on a Saturday or a whole weekend. I also put on over 300 miles this weekend so I am not done riding yet.:p

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't need any special tools at all. The only thing I had to get was a pipe tank flange from the hardware store to press (hammer with a pipe) on the bearing onto the triple tree shaft. As one of the write ups said, I used the old races to tap in the new ones. I used a hard piece of wood to get them started up to flush. Otherwise just hammers and screwdrivers! LOL Ok, a couple wrenches and stuff too.

Total time was probably about 5-6 hours. Maybe less. I drug it over about 4-5 days.....take off a couple things one evening, couple more the next etc. I put it all back together pretty much in one day....took about 3 hours to get back together.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah when I changed my bearing to the 1800 bearing it made a world of diffrence.

Enjoy your new ride...:thumbup:

Well...I took advantage of the cold snow, rain and ice for last couple of weeks and decided to get my winter mods done. I installed the All Balls bearings and progressive springs. As well as slipping in a resistor to dim the high beam light. Got it back together yesterday and got to go for a little test ride today. Wow! What a difference! With the bearings it feels much tighter/firmer in the steering and the wobble is gone, halleljuah! The biggest difference is with the progressive springs installed. Originally when I sat on my bike, the front end would squat down quite a bit. Once all together I sat on the bike and the front end didn't hardly budge at all! Ride today shows that it handles like a dream. Rather than bounce up and down a few times when hitting a bump, it just dipped through the bump once and done! Sweet.

As always is said, thanks to the guys who have taken the time to document and post pictures of the procedures to do these changes. They were invalueable and very helpful. I am a decent wrench for the most part and feel that even average to below average wrenchers could do these mods very easily. Just take your time and pay attention. I am pretty good at ingenuity and was able to get it all done without any special tools at all.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Wintertime is a good time to do those types of mods, it's a shame to have it torn down when it's good ridin' weather. Sounds like a job well done too 8)

Biddy

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wintertime is a good time to do those types of mods, it's a shame to have it torn down when it's good ridin' weather. Sounds like a job well done too 8)

Biddy

Yeah last winter I got a chance to ride at least to work once or twice a week. So far this year has been much less, so decided now was the time!

Just need a oil/filter change at some point pretty soon. I have now had almost everything off this bike except taking out the motor! LOL

I was surprised by the way to see that at 15k miles the front brakes are still very much alive with plenty of miles left. Maybe I need to use the brakes more? LOL

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This weekend was pretty nice for winter time and I got a chance to go on a long ride with my riding partner. We did a nice 140 mile loop around the area here. I gotta say, the more I ride it now after these changes the more I like it!! Steady as a rock! No wobbling, wallering, or bouncing down the road!! Sweet!

And what a great time it was to ride......ah summer days will be here one day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts