Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

So I was at the motorcycle show this weekend and I was intending to get a new set of molded ear plugs and a set of the headphones.

The best deal seemed to be Big Ear (I got my current earplugs from them about 4-5 years ago).

Anyway I didn't pull the trigger. And now I have a bit of regret.

I am wondering if any of you have gotten molded earplugs/earphones from anywhere in/near the Twin Cities.

Also, I have been to the Donnie Smith show a number of times but do not remember if they have vendors who do the onsite injected earplugs/phones. Do they usually have a vendor there?

Thanks in advance.

James

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I bought some online that you mold to the ears yourself years ago. They molded easily enough but never really shut out 100% of the wind noise with a half helmet. Now with the fairing stereo, I use the moldable silicone earl plugs and they are much better for me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My moldable do you mean you can "squish" them into your ears each time or that you had them made to fit your ear and they stay like that?

Thanks.

James

I bought some online that you mold to the ears yourself years ago. They molded easily enough but never really shut out 100% of the wind noise with a half helmet. Now with the fairing stereo, I use the moldable silicone earl plugs and they are much better for me.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
You could check out these (but I think they're a little bit 'pricey' at $35, though cheaper than others I saw at $150+):
http://earfuze.com/

I also found several videos on how to make your own 'molded' piece (using Radians: http://www.esafetysupplies.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs.html?gclid=CKqU4Kme7soCFQsPaQodkHoEfA) to fit to your earbuds you already have, or to use those 'squishy' ear plugs, and cut a hole in them to use instead. For only $10 for the Radians molded silicone, and your own earbuds (my son got me a cheap set of Skull Candy, which work GREAT!!), you can save yourself a TON of $$!!

For wngd, everything I've seen about this 'mold yourself' stuff says that: 1) if you DON'T have your mouth open when you mold it to your ear, it can 'leak' air due to the shape of your ear canal changing, and 2) if you don't let it fully setup for the total 10 minutes, it can also 'change shape' and not fit tightly. The guy I saw in the YouTube video said that when he didn't have his mouth open, it didn't seal completely. Maybe that's what happened to you when you tried it, wngd?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
My moldable do you mean you can "squish" them into your ears each time or that you had them made to fit your ear and they stay like that?

Thanks.

James
The clear soft silicone plugs are available in any drug store and mold into your ear each time differently and if you run your finger around the edge, it forms a tight seal. You get them in a box of maybe a dozen for $6 and they last for a full season (throw a pair out every week)
They are way way way better than the foam ones you jam in your ear canal that I found painful after a few days long riding as it stretched the ear canal

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
You could check out these (but I think they're a little bit 'pricey' at $35, though cheaper than others I saw at $150+):
http://earfuze.com/

I also found several videos on how to make your own 'molded' piece (using Radians: http://www.esafetysupplies.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs.html?gclid=CKqU4Kme7soCFQsPaQodkHoEfA) to fit to your earbuds you already have, or to use those 'squishy' ear plugs, and cut a hole in them to use instead. For only $10 for the Radians molded silicone, and your own earbuds (my son got me a cheap set of Skull Candy, which work GREAT!!), you can save yourself a TON of $$!!

For wngd, everything I've seen about this 'mold yourself' stuff says that: 1) if you DON'T have your mouth open when you mold it to your ear, it can 'leak' air due to the shape of your ear canal changing, and 2) if you don't let it fully setup for the total 10 minutes, it can also 'change shape' and not fit tightly. The guy I saw in the YouTube video said that when he didn't have his mouth open, it didn't seal completely. Maybe that's what happened to you when you tried it, wngd?
earfuze is what I bought and that could be what happened, not sure it was years ago when I had my C and a shield. They worked well when I molded them around ear buds for music but didn't block out all wind noise.

·
Registered
996 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts