Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for about an hour and I can't find the post were this guy was talking about not sanding the final drive but using like gasket remover to get the paint off of it and then just polishing.
I can't see how this is true but it sure would be a lot less work to polish that thing than sanding with 8 different grades of paper.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not sure, but if your refering to the shaft drive hub, I don't believe it's painted. Its bare aluminum with a matte finish. I believe the only option you have is lots of sanding. I recall the thread your speaking of, and it just sounds like a lot of time and energy to get the results you're looking for. Good luck. I'm not ready to try polishing stuff yet.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I was talking about the hub. I remember a guy talking about polishing things like the front forks and saying that you gotta sand the forks with all the different grades but no sanding on the hub. I sure wish I could find the post

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did some polishing on my hub, with limited success. It looks better, but it doesn't have that 'chrome' look that others have. (I polished my kick-stand and it looks great.) I used a combination of polishing heads on a power drill, Dremel and a ton of hand sanding. I think a buffing wheel will be required to get that nice shine. That, of course, means taking the hub off the bike. Same thing with the lower front forks. Maybe next winter.

I've seen the thread you were talking about. I'll try to locate it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
shivaman said:
I have been searching for about an hour and I can't find the post were this guy was talking about not sanding the final drive but using like gasket remover to get the paint off of it and then just polishing.
I can't see how this is true but it sure would be a lot less work to polish that thing than sanding with 8 different grades of paper.
Hi Shiva:
In the northeast, during the cold months, projects like this are perfect.
The final drive hub is made of aluminum and not painted. It has a rough sandblasted finish. The aluminum is relatively soft. I think "this guy" is mistaken or ill advised. I have also seen a post in the past where someone started sanding using WD-40 which I still don't get.

Anyway, I just finished doing mine. There are no shortcuts to it, unfortunately. Check this out:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53983&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Boz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts