Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT

Hood Fixture Automotive design Gas Tints and shades

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
had the fenders and tank sand blasted, apparently the shop doing the blasting had the tank "slip" off the forklift/pallet (their words) and then they blasted it with the dent and then sent me these images to show it was done, hiding the dent.

when I picked up the tank I saw the dent and had a huge argument with them, took my stuff and told them to fuck off, I wasn't paying them for shit. they refused to replace the tank and offered to "fix" it, by using body filler to hide the dent.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

• Angry
Reactions: RBS and rangers4u

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talked to the guy that did some of the body work on my '39 Ford, he is retired, but said he can use a stud welder to pull the dent for $100. He should be the guy doing all the work, but he is retired and only doing this as favor.

I'm still pissed.

Reactions: RBS and rangers4u

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
had the fenders and tank sand blasted, apparently the shop doing the blasting had the tank "slip" off the forklift/pallet (their words) and then they blasted it with the dent and then sent me these images to show it was done, hiding the dent.

when I picked up the tank I saw the dent and had a huge argument with them, took my stuff and told them to fuck off, I wasn't paying them for shit. they refused to replace the tank and offered to "fix" it, by using body filler to hide the dent.

View attachment 195273

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
Lawsuit. Badmouth on any social media you can find. But first threaten them with same before giving them a deadline before you go off on them. Every case I see on Judge Judy anything said derogatory on social media has no basis on her decisions. We're not talking a couple hundred bucks here, we're talking thousands.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
SON-OF-A!!!!!!!!!
Some dumb f**ks there. Jebus.
Well, call 'em up and tell them "I guess you're buying me a new tank. And I want to receive both of them so that I know that you did not just bondo it and send me back a damaged tank".
They gotta make it right.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank is in my possession as of this afternoon.

I took before pictures when I dropped it off and they signed off on it being straight. turned it over to my Insurance company since this shop was listed as the painter on the claim.

My claims agent said I can get another tank, but only at the price I paid for this one since I got it on my own and not through the shop, and legally they can only charge the shop that amount.

The claims agent also told me to see if I can get it repaired, If I can, then they will reimburse me for the repair and bill out the shop for the $930 they paid for the tank, insurance will keep the money since they already paid me for the tank.

the local dealer has a silver 2007 F tank that was ordered and never picked up, been there over 30 days. my parts guys said I can have it for $2,000, which is $1,300 less than I can find it anywhere online. Insurance will kick in $930, since that is what I paid for this damaged one and they will go after the paint shop to get themselves reimbursed.

not sure what to do at this point, at $2,000 I am over the insurance payout by a couple hundred, and then I have 3 tanks, 2 dented and 1 new.

If I can repair the other 2 and sell them for at least $500 as used/repaired it might be worth it. really not sure right now.. very frustrated.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually not even sure if I have to return the tank these fools messed up if I take the dealership one.

·
Premium Member
13,197 Posts
actually not even sure if I have to return the tank these fools messed up if I take the dealership one.
I doubt that would come up. The carrier doesn't want it any more than you do. You can likely recover a few more bucks there. Get the $2000 (!?) one and the $930 towards it and then dispose of the dented one. If the carrier mentions it, tell them you'll give them $150 salvage for it and then sell it. If they don't want that (I doubt it comes up and if it does I'm sure they'll take $150), take it to the adjuster and tell them your $150 offer stands. I'd be shocked if they want it at all, and more shocked if they didn't accept $150 salvage. They don't want to dick with that thing and disposing of it. Ask them what they want for salvage if they bring it up to make sure they don't say $150 or you can offer $100, but let us know how it all shakes out. I am familiar with carrier operations and suspect you'll come out OK. Sounds like they're trying to help you out. The mistake/incompetence of the painter/blaster isn't the carrier's fault---unless they made you use that shop. Good luck. Always sucks to have something like that happen.

I'm still stunned that $2000 is a "deal" and you saw $3300 for any you could find. I mean, the bike isn't worth much more than that, unless they've gone way up in value. Either way, that's a fine machine and will be again. Do tell us how it works out.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Back in '17, I'm doing 60/65 mph on I40W. just over the Mississippi River bridge into Arkansas. A F-150 rear ends me. No damage to me, hears my point. Needed new fender (1800C) w/ tail light cavity filled in, dent revoved from tank left side and paint. I contacted B&D Cyles for the repair. They provided the fender and done the body work + paint for $1,300.00 . When I got the tins back and opened the box...every tin was wrapped in a blanket + bubble wrap. I just don't think you will find a more concerned company who goes the extra mile for you and your bike...he rides so he understands you !

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The body shop using a frok lift for 20/30 lbs. at most. The fact that they performed the work also after the damage, all they cared about was getting payed. Whatever review they deserve online, well they earned it!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With all this problem your having and the money your spending and time , maybe would have been cheaper to get another bike for parts.
maybe.. but then you never know what you are getting in a parts bike and then still have to go buy new stuff anyway.

it is frustrating, but this bike is more than the sum of its parts. it has a huge amount of sentimental value. it is in essence the last thing to remember my father by, and a hard lesson in what I had to give up to raise my kid.

my mother told me I should have let the insurance company total it. but then again she hates that I ride anyway. my response was I will never give up the bike as long as I can ride it and repair it.

money comes and goes. when I ride this bike I ride in remembrance of my father of all he did for me, even after his death. to me this bike is him.

replace truck with motorcycle and you'll understand.

Lee Brice - I Drive Your Truck (Official Music Video) - YouTube

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Brother, you've been through it.

Only you know what the bike is worth to you. You will, I'm confident, return it to what you want it to be. You'll have to suffer it some, but each step is one you won't have to take again. Keep at it. When you're riding it next it will all have been worth it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed. I'd rather have a $3000. parts bike than a $3000. tank. :)

Just sayin'.

Carry on, it's looking good.(y)

well at this point I don't have a $3000 tank. thankfully. I have 3 tanks that cost me around $1,650 when you add them all up and subtract out the insurance reimbursement.

the 2 dented tanks are being repaired via stud welding. I will keep the best one as a spare and sell the other.

I talked the dealer down to $1,400 for the new tank they had, basically told them I don't "really" need it seeing as I have 2 that can be repaired, but I would do them the favor of taking off their hands at their cost seeing as it is just cluttering up their parts department storage area. Good thing I've known the GM at this dealership for 35+ years (and he was a good friend of my fathers) and purchased quite a few motorcycles and jet skis from him over the years.

the proper new tank will be put on the bike..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my boy Luis did a great job.

used a meter to show me how much body filler. 10mm at the thickest section, average is around 3mm

Hood Aircraft Bumper Fender Automotive exterior

I will use this as the backup spare tank or sell it. But at least its done.

he is working on my original tank that was damaged in the accident, a lot larger dent and surface area to repair.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would be contacting my state insurance commissioner and inquiring as to how to contact the sand blaster's general liability insurance carrier. I'd pay the $25 to $50 fee to have them (the company and the carrier if possible) served with a notice to litigate and a notice to file claim and request their GL Insurance information. If you cannot get their GL Insurance carrier information from them or the state insurance commissioner, you should be able to locate their work comp carrier through online searches. Most companies use the same carrier or third party administrator for both WC and GL Claims. If you manage to track down their GL Carrier, they won't be too pleased that the company refused to provide that information. That adds liability on the carrier in their eyes. My GL carrier would much rather know about a $500 claim before it turns into a litigated $5K Claim at which point I risk cancellation and have to start insurance shopping!.

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
I would be contacting my state insurance commissioner and inquiring as to how to contact the sand blaster's general liability insurance carrier. I'd pay the $25 to $50 fee to have them (the company and the carrier if possible) served with a notice to litigate and a notice to file claim and request their GL Insurance information. If you cannot get their GL Insurance carrier information from them or the state insurance commissioner, you should be able to locate their work comp carrier through online searches. Most companies use the same carrier or third party administrator for both WC and GL Claims. If you manage to track down their GL Carrier, they won't be too pleased that the company refused to provide that information. That adds liability on the carrier in their eyes. My GL carrier would much rather know about a $500 claim before it turns into a litigated $5K Claim at which point I risk cancellation and have to start insurance shopping!.
Depends on how much of a point one wants to make of it. I'm generally not the vindictive type, but to have someone just screw it up and leave you with an all busted up part is BS. And on that I would be tempted to make sure they don't get the opportunity to screw the next guy.

I don't know what the rules are in many states, but often here, proof of liability insurance is something that can be left to expire once a business license is issued. That's a municipal thing here. And, while it is against the law to operate a business without such insurance, people drive cars all of the time that way ... until something bad happens. In that case you would have the opportunity to expose their lack of insurance and here that would result in immediate shutdown. Reopening is weeks after all of the paperwork is back in place up here. If the same there, they'll be cursing the day they sent you walking with their screw-up unresolved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
well at this point I don't have a $3000 tank. thankfully. I have 3 tanks that cost me around $1,650 when you add them all up and subtract out the insurance reimbursement.

the 2 dented tanks are being repaired via stud welding. I will keep the best one as a spare and sell the other.

I talked the dealer down to $1,400 for the new tank they had, basically told them I don't "really" need it seeing as I have 2 that can be repaired, but I would do them the favor of taking off their hands at their cost seeing as it is just cluttering up their parts department storage area. Good thing I've known the GM at this dealership for 35+ years (and he was a good friend of my fathers) and purchased quite a few motorcycles and jet skis from him over the years.

the proper new tank will be put on the bike..
You should have tried PDR (Paintless Dent Repair). Even though it has no paint and if there was access to the dent it's fixable massaging the dent out from the inside with rods.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You should have tried PDR (Paintless Dent Repair). Even though it has no paint and if there was access to the dent it's fixable massaging the dent out from the inside with rods.

um yeah I did try.. had 4 shops tell me no way. including 2 that specialize in motorcycle tanks. no access to the inside of the tank without cutting the tank. and they estimated $500-$700 if they could do it with cutting the tank and rewelding.

apparently Honda tanks are crap for PDR because there isn't enough room to work on them from the inside.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts