Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank God For Life...Me and a crew of 7 more bikers were in wpb and a guy in a jetta didnt realize the light was red and almost slid into us and fled from the scene. 2 men bikers in our crew rode after him and caught him about 3 blocks away. The driver did swipe our back rider and messed up his totally-chromed vtx pretty bad. Everyone was okay...just 2 rear people had scratches. Still to be determined if the bike is totalled-but "my" guess damages to be valued at least $7000 (fairing, hard saddlebags, rear & front fender, sissy bar bent, rear chrome rim bent, chrome tag broke in half, billet front lights broke in half, etc in damages-(without including if frame was bent) Anyway my insurance question was...would his full coverage insurance pay for total worth of bike with/without additional chrome accessories?

·
Registered
495 Posts
My insurance policy explicitly shows a value dollar amount for the bike. So I'm guessing that if my bike were totaled I would receive up to that maximum, including for damaged accessories.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Check the policy....some only cover book value of factory equipped MC. If add on accessories are covered it will be stated in policy. Some also include rider safety apparel i.e. helmet, gloves, leathers, etc.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I hope when they caught that POS they helped him up off the ground and wiped the boot prints of his back, after he fell out of the car when they opened the door for him (wink wink)

·
Registered
694 Posts
After thinking about your question, I just looked at my policy. It covers up to the NADA value of the bike...not anything more. I strongly suspect that my add-ons are not covered.
-Mike-
2003 VTX1300S

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm with Geico. I pay extra to cover up to $3000 in accessories.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am an adjuster by trade. All of the policies are different. No way to know unless your buddy looks at his policy. The damages to his bike would fall under the collision coverage.

If the driver of the Jetta is found liable for the loss he/his insurance company would owe the actual cash value of the bike and the accesories and any damaged personal items. From your description the hurtle for your friend my be getting the other insurance company to accept liability for the loss since by your description it does not sound like the jetta actually impacted the bikes?

·
Registered
824 Posts
When I bought my policy, I was able to choose the amount of coverage I wanted for add-ons. There were 3 or 4 different levels of protections going up to thousands of dollars. Of course each increase in coverage increased the price.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it wasnt a direct rear-on impact

but it has a lot of damage, im sure he will have drive shaft and other mechanical problems. i was just curious. i havent added a lot of accessories to my bike but it just make you wonder what will be covered and what will not if it was to happen to "you". thanks guys for your input. keep you posted-check your policies and make sure you got the coverage you need. the police said he was liable for the accident but 27 year old the hit-n-run driver has a diabetic pump and used that as his excuse on not sticking around. the police cited him but because of his medical problem did not take him to jail. :evil: one of our two bikers that caught him wouldnt let the other biker open the door for the driver to fall out of!! So he was completely in tact when the police arrived! :doorag:

I am an adjuster by trade. All of the policies are different. No way to know unless your buddy looks at his policy. The damages to his bike would fall under the collision coverage.

If the driver of the Jetta is found liable for the loss he/his insurance company would owe the actual cash value of the bike and the accesories and any damaged personal items. From your description the hurtle for your friend my be getting the other insurance company to accept liability for the loss since by your description it does not sound like the jetta actually impacted the bikes?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I don't give a damn if the guy was taking his wife to the hospital because she was in labor....he fled the scene of an accident, and that's illegal! Worse, he could've killed your buddy, and do you think for a second that he'd come back to scene if the other two hadn't tracked him down? Medical condition or not, this guy's a piece of *****....sorry, this kind of thing really gets me fired up.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
but it has a lot of damage, im sure he will have drive shaft and other mechanical problems. i was just curious. i havent added a lot of accessories to my bike but it just make you wonder what will be covered and what will not if it was to happen to "you". thanks guys for your input. keep you posted-check your policies and make sure you got the coverage you need. the police said he was liable for the accident but 27 year old the hit-n-run driver has a diabetic pump and used that as his excuse on not sticking around. the police cited him but because of his medical problem did not take him to jail. :evil: one of our two bikers that caught him wouldnt let the other biker open the door for the driver to fall out of!! So he was completely in tact when the police arrived! :doorag:
I believe that was a dumb move to use a medical impairment as an excuse, that is cause to have his drivers license revoked as well as full responsibility for damages in most states. Make sure it is brought up to the lawyer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If the guy fled the scene and it is noted in the police report I would say that your chances of the other insurance carrier accepting libility for the accident is pretty good.

The insurance company isn't going to care what his excuse is for leaving the scene of an accident and will hopefully cancel his policy or at least bump up the premium.

Make sure the adjuster gets the names of all of the riders in your group. The adjuster should contact them all for witness statements. Anything the Jetta driver tries to lie about should come out when you have 7 riders who saw the accident and are giving the same account of it. Good luck and I am glad everyone made it out of the accident ok.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts