Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine says its a waste of money to buy "Motorcycle Oil". He says there's not enough difference in 10W-40 to warrant the extra cost. Says he's been using regular automobile oil for years. What say you?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
BloodyBoop said:
A buddy of mine says its a waste of money to buy "Motorcycle Oil". He says there's not enough difference in 10W-40 to warrant the extra cost. Says he's been using regular automobile oil for years. What say you?
BB Dude. Let him go ahead and save his money. Do what you want.
As Always Peaceful Cruisin'
BLACK POWER
:tools1:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Motorcycles generally share oil from the motor and gear box. The gear box is very hard on the oil. IF (notice that is a BIG "IF") the company packaging the oil is honest in their advertaising; then the cycle specific oil should have been formulated to better withstand the shearing of the desirably long molecule chains in the oil. But, is this oil truely a "special oil" blended for motorcycles and only motrocycles -- or just an appropriate blend that is now packaged as motorcycle oil? I think the latter is the truth to be known.

Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose oils are those that are generally used in heavy equipment and medium duty equioment. Some such equipement also shares the tranny and motor oil or use the same oil in the tranny or clutch pack drive system. Some of it also has wet brakes in the same oil bath. Examples of those oils which are availabel to us are products like Shell Rotella adn Rotella Synthetic, or Chevron Delo, or Mobile Delvac One. These are tough oils that withstand high temps and higle levels of contaminants; plus they are designed to be used in wet brake and wet clutch systems. Mobile One has a SUV oil and a 15w-50 that also meets those types of application standards. All of those should be superb. I don't recommend longer serice intervals with any of them.

What you don't want to use is Energy Conserving oils as those contain too much moly for wet clutches.

prs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts