Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What wait motor oil is everyone running? I was told to use 20w50 from the dealer,15,000 miles later I see in the manual the factory calls for 10w40.Any input ?

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I think most here run 10W-40 or 15W-50
Here is what the manual says -

15º - 90º F - 10W-30
15º - 100º + - 10W-40
25º - 100º + - 15W-40, 15W-50
30º - 100º + - 20W-40, 20W-50

·
Super Moderator
63,587 Posts
There really is no need for 20-50 in a water cooled motor. Air cooled bikes require the heavy weight oil for heat disappation first, lubrication second. While our bikes will run on the 20-50s, all you're doing is costing yourself mileage, oil pump longevity, and some power. 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
What wait motor oil is everyone running? I was told to use 20w50 from the dealer,15,000 miles later I see in the manual the factory calls for 10w40.Any input ?
I've always used Castrol 10w-40 because it's non-energy conserving and cheap at Walmart. I use a Microguard MGL51358 made by Wix that only costs $4.98
I always change my oil frequently as it lubricates the motor, the transmission and the clutch. The manual says not to use oil additives. I never purchase single quart oil made for motorcycles
because it is ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
WOW,, a 15 year old thread awoke...

and yet people say they can not find old threads.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Kinda Spooky when these old threads are revived. ?The OP hasn't posted in 15 years.

Makes me wonder if he's still alive... or in a nursing home ...lol

BTW, i'm using Rotella T6 15-40 on my next change in a month or so. Weather will start turning HOT. Got the oil already...;)

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
This latest update gave us the ability to look at the old threads. I looked back at some of my early posts!
I'm pretty sure the owners manual says to use 10w-30 or 10w-40 so I would never use any other wieght
Straight from the 1300 manual a scan of the oil vs temp
I can tell you 15-40 with frost on the seat does not crank over fast.
Battery may have been on the weak side also.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
I ride enough for 2 oil changes a year. Plan is to use Rotella T6 15-40 for Spring/Summer and 5-40 for Fall/Winter.
We usually dont get any frost in my home area and if we ever do i won't be riding anyway.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
The old Rotella T6 15-40 was a dino oil, the new version (2019) is shown to be a synthetic.

Shell Rotella ® T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil is designed and formulated to deliver

• Improved wear protection
  • Increased protection against oxidation
  • Enhanced deposit control/cleanliness
  • Better low temperature flow
  • Excellent corrosion control.
(Compared to conventional and synthetic blend Shell Rotella 15W-40 products.)

·
Registered
674 Posts
The old Rotella T6 15-40 was a dino oil, the new version (2019) is shown to be a synthetic.

Shell Rotella ® T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil is designed and formulated to deliver

• Improved wear protection
  • Increased protection against oxidation
  • Enhanced deposit control/cleanliness
  • Better low temperature flow
  • Excellent corrosion control.
(Compared to conventional and synthetic blend Shell Rotella 15W-40 products.)
Here's a Video that compares Rotella to Mobil 1. Although it's not the T6 Diesel Oil it's still an indicator of the Shell Rotella brand of oil.

Yet another interesting video:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts