Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I are planning a trip around Lake Michigan this summer. He has a 1980 Gold Wing and doesn't think it will make the trip. My question is does anyone know of any rental places in either western michigan or southeast michigan. I have been searching and can't seem to find any in michigan. It doesn't have to to a honda specifically but would prefer anything but HD, to save money. I would have posted in the michigan forum but there doesn't seem to be any activity there.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I think I would take your fathers bike into a reputable dealer and have them go over it from front to back. I ride with a guy that has an 82 wing with a bunch of miles on it and he goes to South Dakota with his wife every summer.

John

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I think I would take your fathers bike into a reputable dealer and have them go over it from front to back.
John
Exactly! Or find a good mechanic that works on Wings.

Take the 'money' you'd spend on renting and put that towards the overhaul.

It'll make for a cool memory for your Dad too.

Riding that trip on HIS scoot.

If it's mechanically sound, he's probably more comforatable on it too.

Take lotsa pics of that Wing on your trip.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm looking for a motorcycle rental agency in the western UP or Northern Wisconsin. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? The ones listed in the link above are for the lower peninsula.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
:mrgreen:
I'm looking for a motorcycle rental agency in the western UP or Northern Wisconsin. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? The ones listed in the link above are for the lower peninsula.
Nope sorry your the only one there:mrgreen::congrats:

·
Registered
496 Posts
The HD dealer in Ann Arbor rents bikes.But that is a HD. Check with them maybee they rent the Buells also, if that is what you want.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
My dad and I are planning a trip around Lake Michigan this summer. He has a 1980 Gold Wing and doesn't think it will make the trip. My question is does anyone know of any rental places in either western michigan or southeast michigan. I have been searching and can't seem to find any in michigan. It doesn't have to to a honda specifically but would prefer anything but HD, to save money. I would have posted in the michigan forum but there doesn't seem to be any activity there.
I don't know much about the UP, but here's a place that claims to be there and rents Kawasaki motorcycles.

http://www.evertssales.com/vehicles.php

You can also try this place. They rent motorcycles all over the country. Put in the pickup point and see what comes close. They rent Harley, Honda

http://www.eaglerider.com/

And there are others that rent Victory, BMW, etc.....

You can get anything you want if you are willing to pick it up in Chicago............

·
Registered
496 Posts
Might be a bit of a drive...Ann Arbor's about 470 miles away. Chicago's closer. Thanks though.
The original poster does not have a location in his post, it just said that him and his dad was taking a trip to northern michigan, That is why I came up with the ann arbor dealer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't know much about the UP, but here's a place that claims to be there and rents Kawasaki motorcycles.

http://www.evertssales.com/vehicles.php

You can also try this place. They rent motorcycles all over the country. Put in the pickup point and see what comes close. They rent Harley, Honda

http://www.eaglerider.com/

And there are others that rent Victory, BMW, etc.....

You can get anything you want if you are willing to pick it up in Chicago............
Not really willing to pick it up in Chicago...oh well. Thanks for the links.

@wingsfan: sorry, I assumed you were speaking to me since this thread has been dead for a little while.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've had 5 wings (mostly 1500's) with no problems ever. They are mostly bulletproof. I agree on a major inspection before. Look on Steve Saunders web forum for that model/yr. There might be common failures for that specific yr. Have a great trip! Marquette's really pretty this time of year too. But there probably is a little white stuff stil around.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Marquette's really pretty this time of year too. But there probably is a little white stuff stil around.
Yeah. It's just mildly SNOWED OVER. I get to pick up the bike this Friday from there and I was talking to my mechanic. I said, hey if the roads are mildly clear, I'll have insurance on the bike so I can take it for a quick ride. He paused and told me that I could ride it around in the garage up there but that it was Marquette and what I was thinking? There are no clear roads in February.

Marquette: +1 on the area being very scenic. -10000000 for way too much snow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts