Honda VTX Forum banner

Motorcycle theft prevention

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  rkrmpg 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I was just thinking about updating my safety gear and I stumbled upon this: Motorcycle tracker | Vigo Smart Track
It's a tracker that supposedly prevents theft and has SOS call. It seems it's a new product, and I kinda think it's interesting. What are your thoughts on this?

Does anyone of you have any experience with trackers like this? I'm really thinking about trying it out...

#2 ·
it does NOT have a built in cell phone service.. so how will it help.

it bluetooth to you phone..
you wreck... damage your phone.. NO call to 911.

plus it records your riding behavior.. so if you screw up..
insurance company can use it in court after YOU

my opinion.

Reactions: rangers4u
#3 ·
it does NOT have a built in cell phone service.. so how will it help.

it bluetooth to you phone..
you wreck... damage your phone.. NO call to 911.

plus it records your riding behavior.. so if you screw up..
insurance company can use it in court after YOU

my opinion.
The site says SIM card and mobile data are covered. I don't see where it needs a cell phone to do what it says. It would make sense, but they're not clear on how that works. Did you see anything that clarifies that? I'm curious now ... Lol

#5 ·
I would NEVER buy a new gizmo via "Pre-Order."

Far as this device's ability to record your ride; I suppose it would be no different than running a go pro to record your ride.
Both would be a double edged sword; they can both help or hurt the user...

#8 ·
It's a tracker that supposedly prevents theft
Careful, they are lying to you and will only take your money and sell you a tracker that does NOT prevent theft. A tracker is a monitoring device, not a restraint device.
To prevent theft, you need to lock the vehicle. Or disable the vehicle. A tracker accomplishes neither. Same for an alarm.
Don't let them lie to you, check the specs of the device carefully.

#9 ·
You are correct, but I don't htink they actually say it prevents theft, only that it will alert you to theft and provide you with a location of the bike. Common sense ... I know, I know ... tells us that even worse than an alarm it won't even alert the thief that you know they are stealing your bike. OTOH, they also don't know that you know where the bike is, assuming the tracker stays with the bike. BUT, to be clear, although they strongly suggest it, they don't actually lie to you .... I don't think.

#12 ·
The website is definitely sparse on details. There is not even a picture of it. There Is just a black rectangular device that does not show much of anything.
They have references to Android and iOS app but it appears no such app exist yet.
Personally until they provide more details I don't see myself ordering right now. While they say it has a 2-year warranty ot only mentions if there is an issue with the device and not if it works to the expectations they claim.

I sent them an email message asking more questions. The response they provided did not answer many of them.

Questions I asked:
  • How often does it update locations? Can it update every 30 seconds, 1 minute, etc?
  • Is there a way to see the data outside of the phone app? I see the link to Ekipa Vigo's ride so can I assume yes?
  • Can the data be exported to you can see rides you have taken. Exporting so you can add to you own Google Maps account.
  • For the SOS notification what does it use to determine an accident?
  • What is the internal battery life of the device?
  • If you are out of cellular coverage, how much data can it store?
  • Is the device 3g or 4g?

Their response:
  • 3g, 4g and LTE. Yes, data can be sent outside. Data can be exported.
  • It uses all the sensors for measuring how hard the impact was.
  • Internal battery lasts for about 2 weeks, and it stores about 10 days of data in case you do not have coverage.

Other options I am exploring for tracking devices:
All of those links are lacking in details. Some of the things I am looking for in a tracking device:
  • Ability to track latitude, longitude, speed, distance travelled at least every 60 seconds.
  • 4g/5g/LTE cellular. (US data coverage)
  • Connection to constant power as well as switched power.
  • Ability to store location data in case you are out of cellular coverage.
  • Ability to track location data that includes latitude, longitude, speed, distance travelled using a mobile app and/or web site.
  • Ability to export data so it can be imported into Google Maps/Google Earth.
  • Small form factor in order to be installed covertly.
  • Weather proof/weather resistant (IP67 or similar rating).
  • Ability to set up alerts if moved without switched power.

#13 ·
The website is definitely sparse on details. There is not even a picture of it. There Is just a black rectangular device that does not show much of anything.
They have references to Android and iOS app but it appears no such app exist yet.
Personally until they provide more details I don't see myself ordering right now. While they say it has a 2-year warranty ot only mentions if there is an issue with the device and not if it works to the expectations they claim.

I sent them an email message asking more questions. The response they provided did not answer many of them.

Questions I asked:
  • How often does it update locations? Can it update every 30 seconds, 1 minute, etc?
  • Is there a way to see the data outside of the phone app? I see the link to Ekipa Vigo's ride so can I assume yes?
  • Can the data be exported to you can see rides you have taken. Exporting so you can add to you own Google Maps account.
  • For the SOS notification what does it use to determine an accident?
  • What is the internal battery life of the device?
  • If you are out of cellular coverage, how much data can it store?
  • Is the device 3g or 4g?
Their response:
  • 3g, 4g and LTE. Yes, data can be sent outside. Data can be exported.
  • It uses all the sensors for measuring how hard the impact was.
  • Internal battery lasts for about 2 weeks, and it stores about 10 days of data in case you do not have coverage.

Other options I am exploring for tracking devices:
All of those links are lacking in details. Some of the things I am looking for in a tracking device:
  • Ability to track latitude, longitude, speed, distance travelled at least every 60 seconds.
  • 4g/5g/LTE cellular. (US data coverage)
  • Connection to constant power as well as switched power.
  • Ability to store location data in case you are out of cellular coverage.
  • Ability to track location data that includes latitude, longitude, speed, distance travelled using a mobile app and/or web site.
  • Ability to export data so it can be imported into Google Maps/Google Earth.
  • Small form factor in order to be installed covertly.
  • Weather proof/weather resistant (IP67 or similar rating).
  • Ability to set up alerts if moved without switched power.
Hey rkrmpg, I really don't know where you got all those false information, because I just spoke to the team and they explained in detail how it works.

The tracker (4g; and the app is for Android and iOS) provides real time information location, which means it updates every second. There can be a 15 sec delay when you ride. The collected data is only yours, which means only you have access to your rides, to the scores, accelerations, speed etc. If you wish to share your rides with all the data, you can. But it's on your terms. And according to the link of Ekipa Vigo, that only confirms you can export the data to Google Maps/Earth.

The SOS and anti theft notification are activated, when the tracker senses movements. If someone were to steal your bike, you get a notification. If the thief succeeded, you can easily track where your bike is, which is a great feature. And the SOS is activated when it senses if the bike got knocked over. Its sensors are really fragile, and they detect every sudden shocks, forces, jumps or movements. The tracker and the app are always connected, which means help is called right away.

You also asked for the internal battery - it has its own. It charges when you ride the bike and in the off-season you can check it's level in the app. But it will last for about 3 months.

To conclude: I preordered the Vigo Smart Track and cannot wait for it to arrive. I will let you know how it works, and since I'm already a user of their Smart Turn System, I think it will be a great accessory :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.