Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since 2008 I have always kept a motorcycle trailer. I started out with a steel 5x8 Franklin trailer, with an expanded steel deck. Over the years I added a plywood deck. At the time I had a 2005 Kawasaki ZX12r ninja.

Fast forward to 2018 when I got my VTX 1300r, with the fender I needed an extra half a foot to be able to fit the X and close the ramp. So, I decided to sell the trailer and go bigger. I ended up getting a 6x12 steel 1500 lbs heavy duty trailer, that turned out to be too much to handle (I need to store the trailer in my back yard).

I decided to buy a lighter trailer, and make it last. So I went with a 6x12 AWG Carry On trailer. This is their Aluminum with wood deck trailer. I custom ordered it from Lowes (it isn't on their website, you have to order it in person). I opted to add the spare tire mount (it came with the mount and the wheel/tire).

There were some flaws, for example the expanded aluminum welded to the ramp wasn't the best. There also were gaps in their support bars on the ramp that is you load a motorcycle wasn't ideal. I had a shop take care of that by adding 2 extra support bars, and Carry On warrantied the repair welding work.

Example of bad welds on the ramp:

I also needed to add anchor points, but didn't want to give up surface, so I got these recessed 360 swivel D Rings from Amazon. I got 8 of them. I drilled 1" holes, then chiseled out the wood. I also got angle steel, cut it into sections to reinforce the brackets under the trailer.

D-Rings:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CDFPQ9E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

You can see I had the license plate moved to the ramp, and you can see the extra support bars in the gate:

Finished mounting:

My next and final addition will be a removable Condor Motorcycle Wheel chock. This will keep my full deck open for other non-motorcycle things, and allow me to quickly convert as needed.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
WHY???

When ya buy a car ya don't buy a tow truck to go with it, do ya?

Woulda been much better off buyin' some tools and investing in some knowledge about repairin' bikes.

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
WHY???

Woulda been much better off buyin' some tools and investing in some knowledge about repairin' bikes.

He might just want the convenience of a trailer.
At my age & health, if I wanted to go to Florida, Sturgis, or somewhere a long ways away, I'd definitely trailer the bike there.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
He might just want the convenience of a trailer.
At my age & health, if I wanted to go to Florida, Sturgis, or somewhere a long ways away, I'd definitely trailer the bike there.
Then ya'll just don't get it. It's about the ride. It's about the people you meet along the way. It's about breaking down and turning a wrench while people, who you've never met before, lend a hand. It's about the ingenuity of repairs, on the side of the road, using an old, discarded beer can and a coat hanger. The ride to a destination is as much, or more, of the reason for the trip. A trip isn't just to arrive with a shiny piece of crap on a trailer so you can ride around a few hills, pose for pics, and claim "biker" status.
I'm old as dirt myself. Never owned a trailer, most likely never will. Trailers have just ONE purpose; to help a brother who's broken down and calls you at 3am.
Stories I could tell but, it seems that most the people who really rode have left this message board..........and I don't blame 'em.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
WHY???

I live in NYC area. I do an annual trip to Maine from Long Island NY. When I ride back from Maine (one day) after 8 hours of riding to get to the George Washington Bridge on Sunday evening, it takes another 2-3 hours of bumper to bumper traffic to get home (30 miles). These are some of the busiest most dangerous roads in the US. If you have never been to this area, a google search of George Washington Bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway will reveal the issue. Then add to that the Long Island Expressway or Northern State Parkway. To me this is the most dangerous part of any trip, after 8+ hours of riding, then dealing with bumper to bumper traffic in an impatient NYC area. My life is worth more than the most expensive trailer out there.

For this trip, I trailer to my friends house in mainland NY (one hour north of NYC) and leave from there. When I return, I go to his house and load up the bike for the traffic back (the traffic starts at his exit of the NY Thruway and continues to my exit in Long Island. Sundays are the worst.

Generally, riding in the Long Island area isn't the best, I stick to around town, and early mornings before cagers are around. When I ride to work, I leave before most people, and return home in the HOV lane.

I have also used my trailer for dropping my bike off at shops. In the year I have had it, I dropped it off for Dyno tuning, Steering Neck bearing replacement (all balls), and radiator flushing, the rest of the work I have done myself.

I also am not a fan of loading motorcycles in the back of pickup trucks. Getting a 800+lbs bike up 4 ft is dangerous.

And lastly, I use the trailer for other things than the motorcycle. This is why I went with a 12 ft trailer over a smaller 10 ft. With a mounted chock, I want to be able to fit 8 ft pieces of plywood/sheetrock. But now I have decided to get a removable chock, so it isn't as much of a big deal.

I would never knock someone with a trailer and a bike.

By the way I got my VTX 6/2018 it is now 8/2019 I have driven 12k miles in this year and 2 months. I would say I ride the bike... This includes the bike being put away for 4 months during the winter

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
Then ya'll just don't get it. It's about the ride. It's about the people you meet along the way. It's about breaking down and turning a wrench while people, who you've never met before, lend a hand. It's about the ingenuity of repairs, on the side of the road, using an old, discarded beer can and a coat hanger. The ride to a destination is as much, or more, of the reason for the trip. A trip isn't just to arrive with a shiny piece of crap on a trailer so you can ride around a few hills, pose for pics, and claim "biker" status.
I'm old as dirt myself. Never owned a trailer, most likely never will. Trailers have just ONE purpose; to help a brother who's broken down and calls you at 3am.
Stories I could tell but, it seems that most the people who really rode have left this message board..........and I don't blame 'em.

Believe me, I get it! You're the one missing the point!

As little as 15 years ago, I traveled the New England seaboard, Maine to the Keys solo.

What you're saying is, I should ride on those long trips, with my health issues, endangering myself and others,
all so you can consider me a Biker?

In the days before my health went, I averaged 18K-22K a year.
If the road was dry, I was riding, in temps so cold I had to wipe the frost from the inside of my face shield.
Never wore electric clothes to keep warm, just bundled up.

BTW, how many miles a year do you ride?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

As little as 15 years ago, I traveled the New England seaboard, Maine to the Keys solo.

What you're saying is, I should ride on those long trips, with my health issues, endangering myself and others,

If the road was dry, I was riding, in temps so cold I had to wipe the frost from the inside of my face shield.

He also lives in Ohio. My county of Long Island has 1.37 million people living in it. There is another 1.50 million people in the county to the east and 8.6 million in the NYC Counties directly to the west.

It's a lot easier to just get out there and ride from point A to point B when you don't have to get back to point A in hours of bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
He also lives in Ohio. My county of Long Island has 1.37 million people living in it. There is another 1.50 million people in the county to the east and 8.6 million in the NYC Counties directly to the west.

It's a lot easier to just get out there and ride from point A to point B when you don't have to get back to point A in hours of bumper to bumper traffic.

At my age, & with my health concerns, safety is my priority, followed very closely by

convenience.

I don't own a trailer, but a good friend does.
I also have AAA RV for towing. 1st hundred miles are free.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At my age, & with my health concerns, safety is my priority, followed very closely by

convenience.

I don't own a trailer, but a good friend does.
I also have AAA RV for towing. 1st hundred miles are free.
I told myself after college, I would always have a trailer as long as I rode motorcycles. I also used to offroad a jeep (rock crawling), I stopped because I got to the point where I felt like I needed a pickup truck and trailer to continue enjoying the sport. Since I do not have the property to keep a car hauler, I still have not returned to that sport.

People are always looking for good trailers, my last two trailers were sold within 20 hours using the Facebook market. I was honestly shocked how quickly they sold. I sold them with little to no loss.

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
I told myself after college, I would always have a trailer as long as I rode motorcycles. I also used to offroad a jeep (rock crawling), I stopped because I got to the point where I felt like I needed a pickup truck and trailer to continue enjoying the sport. Since I do not have the property to keep a car hauler, I still have not returned to that sport.

People are always looking for good trailers, my last two trailers were sold within 20 hours using the Facebook market. I was honestly shocked how quickly they sold. I sold them with little to no loss.

I'm not at all familiar with Long Island, but I've been to & through NYC.
With the traffic & crazy, stupid, & wild drivers I've encountered, I think I'd
prefer driving a Tank or Armored car through there.

Don't misunderstand me, We have the same drivers where I live, just not as many of them.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
Then ya'll just don't get it. It's about the ride. It's about the people you meet along the way. It's about breaking down and turning a wrench while people, who you've never met before, lend a hand. It's about the ingenuity of repairs, on the side of the road, using an old, discarded beer can and a coat hanger. ... blahblablah and even more pompous blather...
Nope.
It’s about freedom.
Choosing your own path for your own reasons.
And not caring one whit about the chatter from some pinhead who wants to tell you the right way to run your own life. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

Three bikes. One doesn't have an odometer, or speedometer. It's a 100 mile round trip just to the one bar I frequent, 74 mile round trip to the other one. 250 round trip to the one in Erie, PA (only once or twice a year). Johnstown, PA and Pittsburgh area frequently. Michigan, the thumb, once a year, and usually southern Illinois. Occasionally western Tennessee. Not to mention usually riding to work. I plan on doing a lot more once I retire.

You do the math...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Not to stir this pot, more than it has been, but I have to say wrenching isn't riding. It is one big-ass inconvenience to the rider, mostly, and those he rides with even more so.

We all have different ways of getting to point B. I don't begrudge a man trailering (not a word apparently) if that is what it takes to get there any more than the guy that takes two weeks to make the trek on a bike. We all have our limitations and/or reasons for doing and riding the way we do. Your reasons are different from most but I won't slight you because of it.

I just wish that all those years back I had been a better mechanic. :wink2:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I cant tell if its a Troll or a Donk. Its great when people preach about freedom and riding but only if its there way. You might as well start a dark side thread. Anyway went on a overnight trip this summer with about 15 guys that I work with and we had a chase vehicle and a trailer. I took the supercharged VTX which has no storage (but its cool) I showed up with a suitcase and an ice chest the suit case had all my stuff and the ice-chest had 3 gallons of the best margaritas man can make (me) Did I get **** for the suitcase dam right I did but the praise for the Margaritas that night out weighed it 10 times. Had a blast. There was a breakdown and one of the HD's had to ride the trailer home. Glad we had trailer glad I brought my suitcase and the stories I could tell. Best thing after I had a few I went too my tent and didnt have to ride home.

"You can have your abortion and Ill keep my guns"

·
Registered
212 Posts
Very nice looking trailer. I get the whole trailer thing. Not all of us live in the most convenient place for riding or starting a ride. We all find ways to fulfill our passions of riding. Enjoy and be safe out there. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice looking trailer. I get the whole trailer thing. Not all of us live in the most convenient place for riding or starting a ride. We all find ways to fulfill our passions of riding. Enjoy and be safe out there. Merry Christmas
Thank you!

For me, it is more ending the ride that is inconvenient. If I go ride in NJ, PA, or update NY I have to work my way back to Long Island on one of the busiest highways in the world I95 crossing the George Washington Bridge... I do not like riding here, it is even worse being fatigued after all day riding. It is dangerous enough at the start of the ride.

"The George Washington Bridge is the world's busiest motor vehicle bridge,[5][6] carrying over 103 million vehicles per year in 2016.[a]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge

103 million vehicles per year is almost 12k vehicles per hour or almost 200 vehicles per minute...

If you are not from the NYC area, this is not a good area for motorcycles.

·
Old Goat
24,464 Posts
Congrats and good luck...FYI...I outfitted a brand new 12 foot cargo trailer with the intention of making it a mini toy hauler...health took a dump and had to sell....so enjoy life while u can.....Happy Trails..:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts