Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to do some riding today on a good twisty mountain road and noticed something and I was just curious if it was just me or everyone. I notice going up the moutain is a bit easier as far as turns than going down hill.

thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I noticed that as well. When I was fallowing some friends of ours and my husband I was able to keep up easier on the way up but harder keeping up on the way down. I felt more comfortable going around the twisties uphill than downhill.

·
Registered
653 Posts
my guess is your on the gas going up hil and pwering out of a turn is easier then idling through it. but I'm not sure why

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think a lot of it is weight transfer. up hill on gas pushes more of the weight to rear wheel making the front end lighter. Down hill leaning into bike puts more weight on front wheel. Just a guess, but that is the way it feels to me..

·
Registered
653 Posts
Motorcycles have the most traction if you roll on the throttle while finishing up a turn. That is easier to do going uphill and more intimidating while headed down.
Also, traction to the rear wheel is better going uphill for acceleration or braking. Lose the back end, you might high side. Lose the front, you may low side. No contest...

·
Registered
192 Posts
AL REDRIDER said:
I think a lot of it is weight transfer. up hill on gas pushes more of the weight to rear wheel making the front end lighter. Down hill leaning into bike puts more weight on front wheel. Just a guess, but that is the way it feels to me..
This is the answer. There is a great book called "Twist of the Wrist" that explains this in great detail. The front to back weight ratio should be 40 front and 60 rear when in a turn.. Going downhill makes this difficult to acheive.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Uphill is always easier. When you let off the throttle you slow down a lot more than when you are going down. Its' simply gravity.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay cool...glad to see 'my thought' was in line with what everyone else is feeling....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The only time riding downhill ever bothered me was 2 years ago when I was riding through the mountains watching a leg of the Tour de Georgia bike race (Lance Armstrong was in it). I was up at the top of the Richard Russell Scenic Highway (Hwy 348), crossed the Appalachian Trail, and started down the mountain. I was behind 2 competitors that were really starting to pump hard down the hill (which is about 2 or 3 miles of steep grade). If my memory serves me correctly I clocked them at about 62 MPH on the VTX speedo which translates to about 56 MPH actual. When we got down a little further the road started into a couple really hard turns and I actually had to back off a bit while they charged on ahead!! Kind of scared the crap out of me!! They were wearing only spandex shorts and tops and those little helmets on those skinny little tires. I know it sounds weird but all that was freaky.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hey KevTN,

Try keeping your RPMs a little higher when doing curves down hill. I actually prefer down hill curves to up hill, but I love them both. :D

The Rocky Mountains has a plethora of hilly curves to play on, and I love going down hill, using mostly engine breaking, flicking the bike through the "S" curves. Great fun.

-S

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Interesting discussion...I had mentioned to a rider at the CO event that going uphill is easier to handle than going downhill as a passenger. I guess because throttle uphill and more braking downhill?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
BigVTXMan said:
Hey KevTN,

Try keeping your RPMs a little higher when doing curves down hill. I actually prefer down hill curves to up hill, but I love them both. :D

The Rocky Mountains has a plethora of hilly curves to play on, and I love going down hill, using mostly engine breaking, flicking the bike through the "S" curves. Great fun.

-S
downhill I use my Jake Break too! 8)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I jake brake alot going downhill...but I just thought it was a different 'ride'

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Not unique to bikes. For me it is easier to hike up the mountain than come down. In fact, coming down can be downright scary sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts