Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Stebel Nautilus horn and after searching all over to figure out the best place to mount it, it seemed most people mount it using a bracket found on this site that you screw onto the bottom of the swing arm. Didn't really like that idea and ran across a guy somewhere who mounted his under the tank in the recess that was made for the pair valve. Since I had done the pair valve removal I decided it looked like a great place to place the horn, but it is too big to mount in one piece. So I dismantled the horn into two pieces; the horn and the pump. I was then able to mount the horn part to the backbone with large tie-wraps and the pump fit perfectly in a space under the seat. It just lays in place there...no real need to mount it. I just had to buy a piece of clear tubing long enough to run from the pump to the horn part and then wire it up. It came with a relay and enough wiring to connect to the existing horn terminals at the front of the bike.This is an awesome horn and locating it under the tank protects it and points it in a good direction so it is plenty loud.

Best part is that it isn't hung off some part of the bike like an afterthought.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Electrical wiring Wire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Auto part
Land vehicle Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line
Auto part Electrical wiring Vehicle Engine Wire
Auto part Engine Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looks like a great project. Did you buy the "plug and play" wiring kit? or did the relay come with the horn?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great idea. I may just have to copy that. where did you get the horn from?
Thanks. I picked it up on sale at an auto parts store here in Jax. You can get them at almost any bike shop or bike parts site. Just search Stebel Nautilus. It comes in chrome or black. Really no need for the chrome one because you can't see it. Mine was the plug-and-play version which included wiring and a relay. I paid around $70, but you can find them all day for $38 for just the horn.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mounted on Crashbar. Nice sound all to the front. Had a woman pull out in front of me, and I laid on the horn. Of course she was driving a BMW, windows up, and on Cell Phone. She heard me nice and loud. Naturallly, she swerved back in her lane. She turned and gave me a dirty look, and I mean really, but she aint killing me. At least not this time. I gave her a dirty look, smiled and then drove off. :p

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Awesome job, thanks for the pics. I had a stebel on my last scoot, and haven't gotten around to putting one on my X yet, mainly because I wanted a better mounting position than under the swingarm. I've seen threads about this being done on 1800s, and everyone commenting on them said there wasn't enough room for it under the 1300's tank. Well now I know this is not true! Thanks again, I'm definitely moving this project to the top of the list now:doorag:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome job, thanks for the pics. I had a stebel on my last scoot, and haven't gotten around to putting one on my X yet, mainly because I wanted a better mounting position than under the swingarm. I've seen threads about this being done on 1800s, and everyone commenting on them said there wasn't enough room for it under the 1300's tank. Well now I know this is not true! Thanks again, I'm definitely moving this project to the top of the list now:doorag:
The hard part is getting the metal horn pump out of the plastic bellows part. They put it together with some butt-kicking glue. This leaves a round part where the pump used to be and you have to cut away just enough of it so it will slip over the backbone. That is the part that the zip ties tighten onto to hold it in place. It fits perfectly in the place where the PAIR valve was.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Got the stebel already but trying to decide where to put it. Like u I don't care for the engine guard install. May do the bracket install. Now may do the pair valve removal that I chickened out of a few years ago to go your way.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice alternative install. I've had my Steibal loosely tie wrapped under the swing arm right next to the rear tire. Not ideal, but couldn't figure out a better place. Definitely screams like a fiat horn in Italy. Not bad. It stopped working recently after I had my stealer figure out why my light bar wouldn't work anymore... caught an ear full from them about my install claiming the horn must be broken now (its bounced around for 5 years... ). I explained it worked before I brought it to them for the light bar repair... They tested it and there's no current to the horn anymore. Said most likely a bad relay now. I can hear it clicking when I press the horn button. When I replace the relay and fix it, I'll also try the new install shown here.

Anyone have a link for the replacement relay?? Or they are all the same?

Any tips on how to separate the compressor from the horn itself? Just hacksaw the 2 or 3 connecting plastic pieces? Then pick up some rubber tubbeng at sears and piece it together somehow?? I haven't taken a look at it in a while.

Thanks!!

Rov

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If you decide to separate the horn from the pump with a flexible hose you're going to notice a delay. The entire volume of air in the hose is a chamber that has to compress first before the horn will blow, and then being flexible the hose expands under pressure, so the air has to continue to compress more volume, then at pressure the sound will come out. Have the electric horn still active so you also have an instant response too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you decide to separate the horn from the pump with a flexible hose you're going to notice a delay.
Hummmmm.... thanks for that tidbit. I removed the electric when I installed it... Could put some nice Revco's on too... definately don't want a delay... suddenly not such an easy quick fix for me... :confused: Deeskissions deeskissions...

Thanks Enduro!

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
That s a great idea and wish I could do it but where you mountes te pump at is where my alarm is at.
now I'm thinking (using your idea's) of splitting mine in to two pieces and placing the pump where you mounted you horn and putting the rest behind the headlight pointing forward. you've got me thinking. Lol
I see a winter project
thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just took off the standard horn. Adjusted the bracket ( a few times to get it right ) and refitted it in the same place. Mine also points forward and gives cagers a shock when they pull out in front of what they think is a truck. they certainly move in faster!.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I just took off the standard horn. Adjusted the bracket ( a few times to get it right ) and refitted it in the same place. Mine also points forward and gives cagers a shock when they pull out in front of what they think is a truck. they certainly move in faster!.
Caution!!! Mounting the Steble horn wher the existing one is the horn can hit the fender and cause damage. It has happened in the past to others.

Donut

1 - 20 of 27 Posts