Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find saddle bags to fit my 2002 VTXc 1800. I was told when I bought it that the only back rest to get is the VTX back rest. Now I want to put saddle bags on and I am now told that I cannot put bags on with the back rest on because there is not a bolt long enough.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so how did you solve it. :?:

Ride with Pride.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
If you buy Boss Bags they come with their own mounting system which is compatible with Hondaline backrest system :wink: I know they are the most expensive, but they are really nice bags. The other option is any aftermarket bag and Easy Brackets. Easy Brackets makes an assy. that works also with Hondaline bags 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently went through the same thing you did. I wanted saddlebags and a backrest. Here is what I did.

I used the neo-sytle Honda backrest and US Saddlebags. I drilled a whole in the backrest support to make access to the bolt hole closest to the rear. Next I enlarged the hole in the backrest support closest to the front, so that the saddlebag would fit as close to the fenders as possible. I had US Saddlebag send me extra long bolts 8mx 80m and 10mx80m (stock are like 50m I belive). I also had to make a custom spacer for that last fender strut hole to space out the backrest a bit from the strut.

All in all it was minimal fabrication, I had only a few hours in it. A unibit will make enlarging the backrest supports really easy. US Saddlebags was great and sent me the longer bolts right away when I called them. I was not able to locate these bolts on my own. Be sure to use masking tape to protect all of your chromed pieces while drilling or doing any work on them to prevent scratches.

I am sorry I do not have pictures, but I hope this post helps. So to answer your question, Yes it can be done you just need to do a little fabrication and get your hands on some longer bolts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Howdy,

I just mounted factory Honda saddle bags and mounts on my VTX-1800R with the custom sissy bar.

What I found out was the cheapest, fastest route was to use hex head hardware with a washer found at a local hardware store. You need an even longer bolt with hex head that using an allen head since the allen head hardware is recessed into the bracket and the hex head is to large to do this. The bags cover the mounts, so the hardware is not easily visible.

The sizes I used were:

HHCS 10x1.25x80mm long (rear)
HHCS 10x1.25x100mm long (front)

Note: This is a fine metric thread pitch of 1.25, not the standard pitch of 1.5 for a 10mm bolt. I had to look at several stores to find them. I also found I could order them online.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hardware Store for the front bolts, after market brackets & luggage rack & backrest & saddle bags...LOOKS GREAT...saddle bags hide all the hardware anyway!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bags for the C

Hi, I got the K-drive saddlebags from HDL. Not a bad bag. Come with crome supports, and the bags click on/off and key lock too. I run with them on/off. The Honda bags cover, flap in the wind as your going down the road, as my friends do on his 1800R. K-Drives are under $400.
As for the bolts, you get new bolts. 8mm and 10mm. You will need to change out their 10mm as it is a hex nut. Get a chromed 10mm by 85mm at a parts store. I have a local store for chromed metric bolts if you need help. Jim
Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts