Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 1800F

After the futile searches, coupled with the beg, borrow and steal approach regarding a place to buy manufactured forward controls, my hips have talked me into making something up myself.

Long story short is I'm going to make 3/8" plates that attach to the existing mount holes on the frame, that will have this same hole pattern in the plates 3 1/2" forward where I will reattach the controls. Some customized hardware should complete it.

It looks to me that the only part I will need to mess with will be the one brake hose that is the one furthest forward. There isn't enough slack in that existing line to allow the move forward. I will need to get one/ make one longer...

Would any one know whether this part is available a few inches longer, where I could find a part number off a schematic, and where I could find this schematic?

As for the other side, I believe that after lengthing the shift linkage I may need to relocate the horn, but nothing more.

So if anyone can help me out with either helpful insight or even a part number... also if anyone is interested in a kit for themselves let me know...

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The hose from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder (at brake pedal) is only a gravity feed. No pressure. So, any hose compatible with brake fluid will be fine.

·
Registered
12,343 Posts
Master cylinder right (outboard) of the exhaust pipe??
if so Pressure hose #34 may need to be longer.
CORRECTION--Bolt is #34, hose is #33

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
FWIW, if you cannot find a pre-made longer pressure hose, you can always make one yourself. You sound like a handy guy who is not afraid to wrench. Buy a 5ft hose and 2 banjo fittings (make sure you have the right size for your bike) and build a custom hose of the proper length. The kits are much cheaper than having a custom hose made.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it seems this #33 IS a pressure hose due to the need for banjo fitting. As its factory crimped and sold as a predetermined length, how would I go about ordering a longer one and from who? Is this something I can do on my bench? I have a "Parker Store" close by who I can dog for information and/or help. I'll keep you posted....

·
Registered
27 Posts
2007 1800F

After the futile searches, coupled with the beg, borrow and steal approach regarding a place to buy manufactured forward controls, my hips have talked me into making something up myself.

Long story short is I'm going to make 3/8" plates that attach to the existing mount holes on the frame, that will have this same hole pattern in the plates 3 1/2" forward where I will reattach the controls. Some customized hardware should complete it.

It looks to me that the only part I will need to mess with will be the one brake hose that is the one furthest forward. There isn't enough slack in that existing line to allow the move forward. I will need to get one/ make one longer...

Would any one know whether this part is available a few inches longer, where I could find a part number off a schematic, and where I could find this schematic?

As for the other side, I believe that after lengthing the shift linkage I may need to relocate the horn, but nothing more.

So if anyone can help me out with either helpful insight or even a part number... also if anyone is interested in a kit for themselves let me know...
As for hoses, I can offer a hose supplier in Gilbert,Az called Alternative hose. I got new S/S braided hoses for a 76 Goldwing I refurbished. I would think youw ouldjusteed thesizeadoriretatiooffittigsandlegth and theyshouldhae or make1foryou
2007 1800F

Alternative Hose,
1015 N McQueen Rd, Gilbert, AZ 85233
I had purchased 2 S/S braided brake hoses for a 76 Goldwing. End config and size and hose length should be all you need.
If i am not mistaken,they will make custom hoses too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2007 1800F

Just a thought but have you ever considered floor boards. They will give you leg room and there are the extended controls as well. Plus you may find a good set on ebay or the forum. Then if you need more room just add pegs to an engine guard. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One more thought Honda Fury controls. Not sure about the front of the frame on the Fury but it does run the same engine. If not then the 1800/1300 "C" may run forward controls and I'm pretty sure the frames match up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all.... what it looks as if I'll be doing is this... the Banjo fitting line terminates into a block that has the 3/16" hard brake line going directly into it. So if I move the entire entity forward this banjo/flex line/block goes with it as it is an all in one component. What I'm going to do is just use an inverted flare coupling to tie together the existing line that climbs the frame to a 3 1/2"extension brake line that I'll make up here. Then I tie in the new extension into the block, bleed and ride. Always sounds more simple than it turns out to be...

As for boards, they are a better fit for one who is comfortable with a mid-control location. Due to a crappy set of hips I have, the current mid-location won't allow for comfort so up we go... and up too far (I would think) to plant my feet down comfortably on boards. This remains the be seen though, any there's always a next winter project.

I don't know the demand for something like this, but only know there is no one out there filling this need for the VTX crowd. Once I start putting parts and hardware together I'll be making up a handful of extras together to put together kits. I won't make any available until I get mine tried and true, but if all works as planned I ought to have 2 or 3 kits available.

I'll keep you all posted with progress, if not to inform you, then to bore you all to death...

·
Super Moderator
64,052 Posts
One more thought Honda Fury controls. Not sure about the front of the frame on the Fury but it does run the same engine. If not then the 1800/1300 "C" may run forward controls and I'm pretty sure the frames match up.
The Fury engine and frames are very different. As are the frames between the 1300 and 1800 VTX, not even close to being the same. The mount points for all controls are different, they do not interchange

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Fury engine and frames are very different. As are the frames between the 1300 and 1800 VTX, not even close to being the same. The mount points for all controls are different, they do not interchange
Yea, thought about those things after I wrote them. But if you get a chance try someone's VTX 1800R/T and see how the boards feel. They're low and have scrape pads on them if you lean too far; but people around here have rode the Dragon's Tail without a scrape. You can move your feet about a foot front to rear. Definitely no mid peg position which is about 4-5" behind the boards. Once I went to boards that was it for me. You can always add forward pegs to the engine guards. In between my current ride I had one with forward controls and one with mid controls. Believe me I was overjoyed to have floorboards on my next motors. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just scoped out an F model. Those pretty much are forward pegs. Looks like with the after market not catering to the VTX like it should have your idea is the best. Hope you have some machine shop equipment to simplify the job. A CNC would be the tool of choice for making custom parts. Maybe a 3D printer could make this also. I would love to have both but they're just not in my budget.
On a different note I like the 1800C two-into-one exhaust, I wonder if they add any power over the R two-into-two with the crossover pipe? Guess I'll do some spec research. Pray for some riding weather soon. Blessings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couldn't find traditional engine guards for this model with everyone saying "this equipment does NOT fit your model". So (if you can see in the pic of ol' yeller...) so I made up what I call a TIP BAR for it. Glorified highway pegs that will buy me time in getting a leg out were I ever in the need to do quickly.

And yes, I do have a small machine shop with a few CNC's so my hobby can easily get in the way of the paying customers... in fact I plan on pulling a job on the mill today in order to run these plates...!

·
Super Moderator
64,052 Posts
Just an FYI, the aftermarket DID cater to the VTX when it was in production. The last VTX to roll off the line was in 2007, pushing the last 2009 models onto the dyno before shipping. Aftermarket companies aren't going to continue to make stuff for a line that is 14 years dead now

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That yellow VTX is visible from the Google satellite view @ 29175
LOL!!! That's what I tell every one who comments on the color... " Yes it may be bright, but you can see it FROM SPACE!"

Savvy detective work too If I may add...! LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Couldn't find traditional engine guards for this model with everyone saying "this equipment does NOT fit your model". So (if you can see in the pic of ol' yeller...) so I made up what I call a TIP BAR for it. Glorified highway pegs that will buy me time in getting a leg out were I ever in the need to do quickly.

And yes, I do have a small machine shop with a few CNC's so my hobby can easily get in the way of the paying customers... in fact I plan on pulling a job on the mill today in order to run these plates...!
Yep, I know what you mean about parts. I did get the Baron engine guards and yes, they do fit despite the notation that "these do not fit your model" . They fit perfectly. I notice that Goheen is still offering a few parts but not appearing to renew stock. I hope he continues. I would really like to put my key switch in the dash. He has the wiring but not the switch or the cover with a hole for the switch to go in. I can get the switch from **zon for under $30 but I'm not cutting a hole in my stock dash. I would want that in case; to return to stock. I do realize that I've got a 14 y/o bike but it has less than 20,000 on it and is one of the best motors I've ever ridden. When companies turn their backs on me I offer the same. That's why there are groups like this out there. I've seen an 1800 for sale with over 100,000+ mi. on it. That proves they stand the test of time. There's people still running 750Fours from the seventies. Good luck I know ya got this. Later all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts