Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a VTX1300c, hit my first 100 miles on it. After seeing the 100 mile on the ODO, I started thinking...
How many miles can I get on a tank?
What's an average MPG I'll get?

If some of you could share what they average out, would help this new owner alot.

Thanks! :wink:

ConnRadd

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I avg about 37-38 mpg around town and about 45 cruisin the highways. The most I've gotten from a full tank on the highway was 168 miles,before reserve, and I usually fill up when I get to about 150 miles. 8)

·
Registered
696 Posts
My average mpg is 44 - 46, primarily highway riding (65 - 80 mph) I have gotten a little as 140 miles to the tank, (strong head wind) to as much as 175 (before reserve) I usually fill up as soon as I hit reserve, or 140, depending how far apart the gas stations are.

·
Registered
353 Posts
43/140

I ran a little more than 200 miles yesterday. Refilled twice, got 43 MPG both times. Mostly highway miles, but I did gag it a bunch of times. I've switched to reserve in as few as 135 miles, and as many as 155 miles. Hard to fill consistently to the exact same level each time, and driving conditions do matter. I fill on the kickstand and not to the tip-top to avoid spillovers/drips. The tank will hold more upright, but I don't see any reason for that. There are plenty of service stations everywhere I've been. A tankful will last 2-3 hours. After that much riding, it's best to take a break anyhow.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am running HK 3" BIG STRAIGHTS and a K&N air filter. I usually hit reserve at about 150 miles and yesterday ran into a STRONG head wind ALL DAY LONG and hit reserve at 132 miles, which is the earliest that I have had to switch to reserve. I usually start looking for petro at 130-150 miles. I guess there are a lot of variables. It sure is nice to have two trip odometers though when you don't have a fuel gauge!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i get 140mpt before res. city 170mpt before res. highway with 2 riders at 75 to 80 mph with a combined weight of 385lbs

G

·
I ride 2 up a lot and yesterday we were out with a lot of wind, twisties, and some stop and go stuff. put in 3.5 gallons at 147 miles.....so that's 42. that seems to be what I usually get and I'm running really rich.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm right now at 180 miles on my current tank. I pulled over this morning on my way to work just to make sure I didn't already have it on reserve. I've only had this bike a week so I'm not so sure that the odometer isn't off. I'm going to check it this afternoon and see. My prior tank was 147 mpt but on this latest fill-up I sat on the bike as I filled, keeping it vertical in the hope of getting more fuel in it. We'll see if that's just what it is.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My first tank was 40 mpg. My second tank was 45 mpg. I expect it to improve a little more as the bike is "broken in". 8)

·
Registered
595 Posts
ConnRadd, just remember that the answer to your question is relevant to weather and traffic conditions as well driving styles and engine modifications.

I just did a poker run Saturday and averaged 49mpg because I was riding 2 lane highways @ 55-60 mph. When I drive back and forth to work that drops to maybe 40mpg.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i average 43 mpg and i always fill at 100 miles, no exceptions. didn't one time and ran out at 106 miles in the high country with no shoulder, lotsa traffic (fast) and going up 12% grade. didn't switch to reserve as i knew it had gas and also was looking for a place to land. generally would hit reserve at 160 miles but i don't think running anything dry is a good idea. again, i fill at 100 miles and worry about more important things. also, i have almost always run 91 octane. the extra $ is negligable and it does run smoother and quieter and cooler (maybe not faster).

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I usually get about 140-150 miles before I hit reserve.

Last summer, though, I was really hauling ass midweek along I80 - open, flat, and no traffic. I was averaging over 90 mph - sometimes going for stretches at over 100. I was shocked when I hit reserve at 98 miles!

With the throttle wide open it can drink some gas!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts